IGNORED

Honorary Degree For Gerrard

KevinC

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/pictures/200...15875-20670617/

I was at Liverpool Cathedral yesterday (where the graduation ceremony took place) but managed to miss this son of Merseyside receiving his award. I would have loved to hear the citation justifying the award... what a load of rubbish. This completely devalues the concept of a degree.

Sorry to rant but some of us had to work darned hard for our qualifications!!!!! :smartass:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/pictures/200...15875-20670617/

I was at Liverpool Cathedral yesterday (where the graduation ceremony took place) but managed to miss this son of Merseyside receiving his award. I would have loved to hear the citation justifying the award... what a load of rubbish. This completely devalues the concept of a degree.

Sorry to rant but some of us had to work darned hard for our qualifications!!!!! :smartass:

Yes, it's laughable.

I personally disagree with the other posts on here yes i appreciate those that have worked hard for their Degrees. however when someone famous gets an "honorary" degree its just that its not as if Stevie G will be taking anyone that has worked hard for a degree's job or would even want to take that kind of a pay cut no-one jumps up in arms about Bob Geldof or Bono or some jumped up page 3 bird getting the same thing. I feel that if anyone deserves it it would be Stevie G the guy that has stated his deep love for his home city and also pledged his future to his boyhood club and also after reading his autobiography and reading that the youngest Hillsborough victim was his 10 yr old cousin that this maybe justified in its Honorary form

I personally disagree with the other posts on here yes i appreciate those that have worked hard for their Degrees. however when someone famous gets an "honorary" degree its just that its not as if Stevie G will be taking anyone that has worked hard for a degree's job or would even want to take that kind of a pay cut no-one jumps up in arms about Bob Geldof or Bono or some jumped up page 3 bird getting the same thing. I feel that if anyone deserves it it would be Stevie G the guy that has stated his deep love for his home city and also pledged his future to his boyhood club and also after reading his autobiography and reading that the youngest Hillsborough victim was his 10 yr old cousin that this maybe justified in its Honorary form

Well said, sir.

And no offence, KevinC, but I can't believe that in this interweb era we are churning out graduates who don't know what an honorary degree is.... back in my day, a degree actually meant something :innocent06:

Degrees have already been massively devalued by the misguided drive to force mediocre students into further academic education instead of vocational, ludicrous number of irrelevant courses offered, hugely variable standards across universities and the fact that any of the more modern subjects leave graduates hopelessly out of date as soon as they enter the working world.

Silly though I agree it is, giving an honorary one out to a dumb sportsman is neither a new thing nor contributing to the problem.

Archived