IGNORED

Ivan Sproule

shire_redz

Was just thinking what if we end up with just one additional striker. Could Ivan play as a striker? He certainly has bags of pace and didn't exactly set the world alight on the wing last season.

Or am I just spouting complete rollox?

Well he can't shoot so probably wouldn't be the best but you never know. Personally I think he is only any use coming off the bench with 10 to go.

Big season for him, not as a striker though.

He'll get first crack at right midfield. He needs to be careful it's not his last crack. I actually think he could come good, but he just looks utterly devoid of confidence..constantly. One fo the most frustrating City players in a while.

I was overall disapointed with him last season, he was amazing in the SPL which i know isnt the greatest of leagues but according to many hibs fans he seemed to play his best against celtic and rangers.

I still think there is a lot more to come from him and branding him as a impact player off the bench I'm sure wont do his confidence any good. IMO he needs to have a regular run of games either on the wing or behind a striker/strikers.

I still think there is a lot more to come from him and branding him as a impact player off the bench I'm sure wont do his confidence any good. IMO he needs to have a regular run of games either on the wing or behind a striker/strikers.

Totally agree, I have high hopes for Sproule next season, I think he has the potential to be absolute quality. :fingerscrossed: last season was just a bad season for him.

When he first joined and was'nt match fit? (after ban)

personally I think he could be an option.

Not match fit? He had a full pre-season and didn't show any tiredness, he was just crap up front because his touch wasn't good enough and he didn't make the right runs.

He might improve on the wing this season, might not, but if we play him up front he'll get less goals than Brooker did last year.

I'm a fan of his, and no he really wasn't.

Ok maybe amazing was a bit strong but he was very good and if i remember rightly scored a cracker against rangers at ibrox.

But at hibs he was the main man so to speak and played week in week out, as shown there when he is high on confidence he is quality.

But at city he is had compition and seems to be finding that difficult to cope with unlike at hibs, hopefully he will regan that confidence and with his pace anything is possible.

not unthinkable we'd try him there again but quite unlikely

he was a real dissapointment for me last season. Every time he gets the ball it just looks like hes going to give it away immediately. no touch or composure.

bags of pace though so hopefully it is just a confidence thing and he can come good this season

I'm afraid I have to agree with the majority of this thread. Shows the odd moment that he could do something but so rarely delivers. The majority of the time he gives the ball aways as soon as he gets it, the times when he does get into a position to cross it generally goes straight to a defender. Unless he improves significantly he's not good enough in my opinion.

He just seems unable to play the game unless he has the ball at his feet, has no ideal how to make a clever run to get in behind or create space for himself so he can use his blistering pace to damage the oppisition.

He must be fairly easy to play against at this level as you know exactly whats he's going to do every time.

Was just thinking what if we end up with just one additional striker. Could Ivan play as a striker? He certainly has bags of pace and didn't exactly set the world alight on the wing last season.

i posted a simaler suggestion in a differnt post i suggested sproule playing off brooker still think its worth a shot but as posters have suggested sproule does lack composure in front off goal but hey iff he got a couple off easy goals and some confidence maybee who knows but as usuall I ALWAYS BELIVE COME ON GARY

He doesn't like playing up front, signed as a winger and will continue to play as a winger.

I think we should be careful not to write of Sproule, he obviously has a lot of ability, and he scored one of the greatest goals i have ever witnessed last season. He started well, but i think we should realise a change of location, a english football season (only his 3rd full season of pro football) and having his first child at christmas will undoubtabley take it's toll on a professional footballer.

Couple that with a right full back who, In My Opinion, can't pass with either foot and appears to spend most of the game shouting at whoever is playing ahead of him, and you'll probably see reasons for a downturn in form.

Interesting to note that Gj has played a 4-5-1 in a few games, with the emphasis on McIndoe and Sproule to supply the attacking angle.

A player like Sproule needs our backing, not criticism IMO.

He doesn't like playing up front, signed as a winger and will continue to play as a winger.

I think we should be careful not to write of Sproule, he obviously has a lot of ability, and he scored one of the greatest goals i have ever witnessed last season. He started well, but i think we should realise a change of location, a english football season (only his 3rd full season of pro football) and having his first child at christmas will undoubtabley take it's toll on a professional footballer.

Couple that with a right full back who, In My Opinion, can't pass with either foot and appears to spend most of the game shouting at whoever is playing ahead of him, and you'll probably see reasons for a downturn in form.

Interesting to note that Gj has played a 4-5-1 in a few games, with the emphasis on McIndoe and Sproule to supply the attacking angle.

A player like Sproule needs our backing, not criticism IMO.

I agree that just because of his pace he can pull something out of the hat every so often but he is too mercurial and too enigmatic to warrant a first team place. So although I agree that we should get behind our players, I do feel that Sproule shouldn't be playing for us at the minute as we have better options (Noble and Wilson in particular seems much more capable of putting in a cross and providing assists)

In particular when we are playing 4-5-1 Sproule simply hasn't been effective for the large part of the season and although he has a very commendable work rate in getting back to defend, he doesn't get involved in open play enough for me, largely because he just isn't as good as our other players at giving, receiving and making runs off the ball (playing football).

So this is I think Gavin William's input into the team from the right wing will play a large part in our fortunes this season.

Got the attributes. Pace, skill, awareness etc....

Shame he can't hit a cow's ass with a banjo let alone the back of the net.

Had high hopes for him last season, didn't perform well over the course of the season, but hopefully will come good this season. I want him to be a great City player then the next fan, but I can see Williams grabbing the right wing berth (once he's fit and stays fit that is).

Most frustrating player i've ever seen in a City shirt i reckon, so many times last season his final ball was appaling and his pace counted for nothing.

I think we need to back Ivan and give him a chance. I don't see what is to be gained by knocking our players pre-season? Do you want him to be transferred? Do you want him to play in our reserves for the rest of his career? Or would you like to see him show a few more of the glimpses he showed last season (S'ton, for example, probably the goal of the season if Noble hadn't bashed in that late winner at Palace)?

Archived