IGNORED

Academy

silverfox

This isn't a subject I feel very confident about posting, but, why aren't we seeing a reasonably freqent flow of players through from the academy? All we ever seem to hear is 'X' is a good prospect but isn't quite ready yet. There have been exceptions in the past of course, some of whom have proved to be very remunerative because we've effectively just cashed in on them, and no doubt there will be more of the same. But, if we can't compete with the bigger boys on transfer fees and/or wages, what are we to do? Is all this part of the malaise with English sourced players?

Discuss. Please be gentle with me!

Recent graduates and ages:

Lita, Anyinsah (23)

Skuse (22)

Cotterill, Myrie-Williams, Golbourne (20)

Ribeiro, Wilson, Artus (19)

Plummer, Walker (17)

I would say that is a fairly steady flow - about £4m in transfer fees anyway. There's always room for improvement though.

Although they haven't been yet I expect to see Ribeiro, Wilson and possibly Artus involved in the side this season and maybe Plummer next season. We're sort of between batches right now I guess, partly I think because we've just made a big step up in class.

I reckon it will take a little time for the academy to adjust to the Championship. We should be able to attract a higher quality of player at 14-16 or so as a top half championship side than a league one side but it will take them 2-4 years to progress through the ranks.

Archived