IGNORED

Ariza Makukula

Olé

I've been biting my lip about mentioning this guy for a couple of weeks now, on the basis that this forum doesn't need anymore suggestions masquerading as rumour. Well, this is just a suggestion, but the pieces have been falling into place to make it worth mentioning, a) if we are struggling with our other transfer deals and since b) he was transfer listed today.

Ariza Makukula is at Benfica, so I know a fair bit about him and have thought all summer he was worth a look. He was born in the Congo (like Lita) but is about twice the size. He's a bona-fide target man, but with pace as well. He's played a few internationals (and scored) but he's not yet established in a way that would rule him out of playing Championship football at all.

Benfica only signed him in January from Maritimo, at which point he was top scorer in the Portuguese league playing for Maritimo, which in itself is an achievement. He's 27, 6'4", very quick, has played 'second tier' football in Spain so is not adverse to dropping down a level, is a proven goalscorer, has all the positive attributes of an Akinbiyi or similar in their prime.

And... this morning it was announced he was available for transfer. I thought all summer he'd be surplus to requirements and the sort of player within our reach and the manager confirmed it today. Although they paid 3.5m EUR for him and put a 40m EUR buy-out clause, the Benfica board have said today they'll consider any offer around 2m EUR - i.e. around £1.5m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariza_Makukula

I've been biting my lip about mentioning this guy for a couple of weeks now, on the basis that this forum doesn't need anymore suggestions masquerading as rumour. Well, this is just a suggestion, but the pieces have been falling into place to make it worth mentioning, a) if we are struggling with our other transfer deals and since b) he was transfer listed today.

Ariza Makukula is at Benfica, so I know a fair bit about him and have thought all summer he was worth a look. He was born in the Congo (like Lita) but is about twice the size. He's a bona-fide target man, but with pace as well. He's played a few internationals (and scored) but he's not yet established in a way that would rule him out of playing Championship football at all.

Benfica only signed him in January from Maritimo, at which point he was top scorer in the Portuguese league playing for Maritimo, which in itself is an achievement. He's 27, 6'4", very quick, has played 'second tier' football in Spain so is not adverse to dropping down a level, is a proven goalscorer, has all the positive attributes of an Akinbiyi or similar in their prime.

And... this morning it was announced he was available for transfer. I thought all summer he'd be surplus to requirements and the sort of player within our reach and the manager confirmed it today. Although they paid 3.5m EUR for him and put a 40m EUR buy-out clause, the Benfica board have said today they'll consider any offer around 2m EUR - i.e. around £1.5m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariza_Makukula

[/quote

Hes stats don't look that best :noexpression:

You'd have thought someone in the Portuguese league or Spanish second division would make much more sense for him.

But it's not a ridiculous suggestion by any means, just i'd imagine he'd have more suitable opportunities than us if we were to go for him.

would deffo be worth a shot, he's prem standard.

According to the Portuguese press this morning, Hull have offered £4 million for him.

Oh well, sounded good in theory when I first mentioned it...

We don't need another striker......Maynard, Adebola, Trundle and Brooker is a solid strikeforce.....if we get a few injuries then maybe look or a short term loan deal other than that we don't need no more strikers......A decent CM,RW,CB is what we need.

We don't need another striker......Maynard, Adebola, Trundle and Brooker is a solid strikeforce.....if we get a few injuries then maybe look or a short term loan deal other than that we don't need no more strikers......A decent CM,RW,CB is what we need.

I think what makes it a decent strikeforce is Maynard, so if he's injured then it's back to the men who didn't deliver last season - accepting Brooker was out of course.

Like others though i'd like signings elsewhere on the pitch

That is not a solid strike force, Adebola on his day is a good Championship stiker, of the ten goals a season variety, but has a game we need. Maynard should add the goals, one touch striking. Trundle had a season in the Championship, and was rubbish. If a few tricks makes a good striker, then we are not very demanding. He is not quick enough for higher level football, and is no Jacki. Brooker, well would we be wise to back him for a season, when for the last two he is injured. If it wern't for the window, yes we could give him a go, but we know in January there is little available, so we must get an additional striker in. Even if it means getting rid of Brooker, while he is fit, and in his last year of contract. We were rubbish up front last year, and whilst Adebola and Maynard are a step forward, we are still missing one more. As we are in defence, and right side of midfield, where Sproule has not convinced

he did start playing very well come the end of the season mate which seemed to show that he's found his footing in the championship and i think he should be able to carry that form forward into this season.

Sorry to dig this up from the depths of the archives (and its not based on any rumour regarding City) but I read last night in the Portuguese press that Makukula will likely leave Benfica to go back to Maritimo this summer, a much smaller top flight club based in Madeira, if there is no other interest.

This seems like a worthwhile option as there is no way in hell that Maritimo are in the same financial league as us and Makukula is big, strong and could lead the line as a replacement for Dele. He scored for the Portugal national team last year, and was a top scorer in the top division the season before last.

He played on loan at Bolton in the Premier League at the end of last season but they didn't want to make the move permanent. I can't comment on that as I don't watch MOTD or know how he fared there but I reckon he'd be a great Championship player, a year after Hull considered paying 4m for him.

I'm struggling to think of other players who fit the profile of a Dele type player.

Everton%20v%20Bolton%20Wanderers%20Premier%20League%20gHG5KjHrMQQl.jpg624018_mediumsquare.jpg

Archived