IGNORED

Quick Point

dezgimed

Meteab, Mifsud and Lita has too been mentioned...

Why arent they 'right'?

Is it because they're a level above what Johnson is used to working with?

We have an entire squad that is used to grafting hard to get places so have a decent attitude, but ultimately aren't Prem quality and have spent most their careers at a lowish level, so are we ever going to find a top end quality player who IS right for us?

The 2 we have now missed out on, could well have fired us to the Premier League. Would anyone really give a shite if they did and were a tad arrogant?

There's protecting your dressing room (which if is as strong as we're led to believe shouldnt be influenced by the minority), and there's being fussy for being fussys sake!

Tad worried about who is left for us now?

:noexpression:

Why arent they 'right'?

We have an entire squad that is used to grafting hard to get places so have a decent attitude, but ultimately aren't Prem quality and have spent most their careers at a lowish level, so are we ever going to find a top end quality player who IS right for us?

The 2 we have now missed out on, could well have fired us to the Premier League. Would anyone really give a shite if they did and were a tad arrogant?

There's protecting your dressing room (which if is as strong as we're led to believe shouldnt be influenced by the minority), and there's being fussy for being fussys sake!

We need to get maynard i know its a gamble but we are left with no choice.

You'll get slaughtered for posting that but I got to say the very same thought crossed my mind.

He had no problem recruiting a crock ex Yeovil player from Ipswich but seems to fall out with the International quality sorts as they seem to be a little more demanding and don't dance exactly to Johnson's tune.

Who's next? I suggest Gary looks at League 1 and below as he doesn't seem to be doing very well above that level.

:angry:

Gary Johnson hasn't got many signings wrong, certainly not expensive ones, and his record is better in that respect than most so you have to credit his methods. I don't think it's concern over protecting the dressing room that led him to can the Mifsud deal, reading the comments I'd guess that Mifsud couldn't agree a payoff with Coventry so came back asking for more money and probably a release clause.

However, I think what GJ might have a problem with is an attitude that a player is doing us a favour by coming here. Well, yes, that's a bit disrespectful but actually in some cases they've got a point. Despite a fantastic season last time around and a willingness to invest, we're still going to find it hard to compete for signings with the big clubs in the division. He might have to be a bit more flexible than he's used to for the bigger signings.

I still think we'll see at least one signing before the season starts and I'm hoping for 2-3 before the window shuts.

You'll get slaughtered for posting that but I got to say the very same thought crossed my mind.

He had no problem recruiting a crock ex Yeovil player from Ipswich but seems to fall out with the International quality sorts as they seem to be a little more demanding and don't dance exactly to Johnson's tune.

Who's next? I suggest Gary looks at League 1 and below as he doesn't seem to be doing very well above that level.

:angry:

Not doing well above that level?

Is that why Gary Johnsons signing got us to 4th and 1 game away from the Premier League?......Not to good at this higher leverl are they

You people are a joke.....

This attitude really annoys me. On what grounds do any of us question the decisions gj makes? You could well have a case if we had been in this division for 5 years, signed no-one who the fans consider 'quality' and maintained an un-inspiring mid table finish season on season. Ffs look at where we are now and where we were when Johnson took over. We have been in the season 1 year. We started that year hoping to stay up and finished the year the better team in a play-off final, losing only to a fantastic goal. All this big player stuff is nonsense, it's about professionalism. I'm as frustrated as the next person but am able to see the wider picture that this club is much better off 'lacking quality' with gj at the helm than having a team of 'talent'.

This attitude really annoys me. On what grounds do any of us question the decisions gj makes? You could well have a case if we had been in this division for 5 years, signed no-one who the fans consider 'quality' and maintained an un-inspiring mid table finish season on season. Ffs look at where we are now and where we were when Johnson took over. We have been in the season 1 year. We started that year hoping to stay up and finished the year the better team in a play-off final, losing only to a fantastic goal. All this big player stuff is nonsense, it's about professionalism. I'm as frustrated as the next person but am able to see the wider picture that this club is much better off 'lacking quality' with gj at the helm than having a team of 'talent'.

But the 'big' players may all have a swagger about them, and air of arrogance. Perhaps GJ doesn't like it, but it may be the case with all of em as they ultimately know we need them more than they need us.

We just need a player or two of that higher quality to get us where we want to be.

Why arent they 'right'?

I don't think it's the arrogance thing i really don't. McIndoe just dispells that myth for me.

I think it's about trust and commitment. It's saying one thing and doing another. That really really messes with GJ's philosophy from what i've seen and read. It's why he doesn't confirm transfers. He won't say he's doing something then change his mind..although that's what it keeps looking like until i see official comments on the official site from HIM only i can't believe them anymore.

And there's lots left ^_^

Why arent they 'right'?

I've thought the same also. Don't get me wrong, GJ is a top manager but sometimes you have to for go quality rather than people because they have got a decent attitude/team ethic. Arrogance is not always a bad trait in a player and often means they are a competitor. GJ struggles with this I think and therefore doesnt like not to have full control.

Pretty sure we'd turn down Ronaldo at the moment because he is too "arrogant" for our football club!

looks as though we'll be looking further down our list of targets. Personally, I'd go with what we got because at the moment we are heading for a slippery road.

But the 'big' players may all have a swagger about them, and air of arrogance.

No they don't. Just like people in any walk of life some are arrogant and some aren't.

I don't think arrogance is what GJ perceives as a problem anyway, more commitment.

We need to get maynard i know its a gamble but we are left with no choice.

i think it's pretty safe to say that he wouldn't turn a chance to play for us, no other club seems to be willing to fork out the money. my only worry is if he will be good enough in this league?

Is that why Gary Johnsons signings got us to 4th and 1 game away from the Premier League?......Not to good at this higher level are they?

Completely right.

Problem is some people have played Championship manager so think they are one and know more than GJ........

i think it's pretty safe to say that he wouldn't turn a chance to play for us, no other club seems to be willing to fork out the money. my only worry is if he will be good enough in this league?

SL has already said he will not meet crewes price so its totally irrelavent talking about Maynard

we clearly have about 2.5-3m for 2 strikers....Crewe want about that for Maynard....

Completely right.

Problem is some people have played Championship manager so think they are one and know more than GJ........

Never played the thing.

Its a legitimate question. We didn't make the Premier League remember, so that is pretty irrelevant starting from 2 weeks.

don't get me wrong, its good we have standards and principle as a club, but it wont fire us to promotion.

If Meteab and Mifsud had signed, the entire fanbase would be rocking with excitement, fact.

Of course that's true but if Mifsud had jumped ship to another club after having a release clause met and Meteb didn't settle and went AWOL sulking back to Egypt that would be £3m down the drain with nowt to show for it and the criticism would be far higher.

We're not in a position where we can afford to get seven figure transfers wrong.

Of course that's true but if Mifsud had jumped ship to another club after having a release clause met and Meteb didn't settle and went AWOL sulking back to Egypt that would be £3m down the drain with nowt to show for it and the criticism would be far higher.

We're not in a position where we can afford to get seven figure transfers wrong.

Then perhaps we should go back to L1 or accept a position in the bottom half of this League. Of course its progress over the last 10 years that matters, but we shouldn't talk about challenging for the Premier League like big boys if a £1.5m transfer worries us so much.

Is that why Gary Johnsons signing got us to 4th and 1 game away from the Premier League?......Not to good at this higher leverl are they

I was referring to signing players from a higher level numpty. I have no concern about Johnson as a coach but do question Johnson ability to capture proven quality from a higher level.

We should of won automatic promotion last season but we didn't because of a shortage of strike power, hence why Johnson made signing two quality forwards his main priorty in the close season and hence why Byfield and Showumni were released to make space .

If we start next season with only Trundle and Adebola then we're starting next seaon in weaker position then we did last as we've actually released our top goal scorer who Johnson deemed not good enough for this level.

Then perhaps we should go back to L1 or accept a position in the bottom half of this League. Of course its progress over the last 10 years that matters, but we shouldn't talk about challenging for the Premier League like big boys if a £1.5m transfer worries us so much.

What a silly suggestion. Financially we're a bottom third Championship club and to grow we have to invest as the club are attempting to do (again) but if we invest badly we will end up back in league one and heading towards administration. If we weren't worried about getting deals right I'd wonder if we'd gone back 10 years in time to the Davidson era.

it wont fire us to promotion.
We've been in this division 1 season, 1 season, we were relegation fodder, mid table if we had a blinder. Look at where we finished, yes of course we were not promoted but for the love of all things holy, we missed out in the play-off final when we were the better team to a wonder strike. If we had a 20 goal a season striker then we may be in the Premier League now, but that doesnt give people grounds to criticise the manager and his techniques after the wonders he has worked and continues to work at this football club. Did Stewart and Bridges 'fire us to promotion' from league 1?

So u think GJ should just splash our money around?

I'm sure fans like you would be the first to complain when the 'big money' signing didnt perform

I bet u were all over Trundle before he scored against Palace

Fans like you are a joke....We are not a HUGE club....we are not Birmingham or Derby...we do not have Untold millions to invest...so when we DO....we have to make it right and I for one respect GJ for that and his honesty and courage in telling Meteb and Mifusd thats its not on

Come on...Get behing GJ like u were at wembley and stop slating him........

We've been in this division 1 season, 1 season, we were relegation fodder, mid table if we had a blinder. Look at where we finished, yes of course we were not promoted but for the love of all things holy, we missed out in the play-off final when we were the better team. If we had a 20 goal a season striker then we may be in the Premier League now, but that doesnt give people grounds to criticise the manager and his techniques after the wonders he has worked and continues to work at this football club. Did Stewart and Bridges 'fire us to promotion' from league 1?

Its hardly criticism of the manager, its an observation, a question, a matter to ponder over and discuss.

So u think GJ should just splash our money around?

I'm sure fans like you would be the first to complain when the 'big money' signing didnt perform

I bet u were all over Trundle before he scored against Palace

Fans like you are a joke....We are not a HUGE club....we are not Birmingham or Derby...we do not have Untold millions to invest...so when we DO....we have to make it right and I for one respect GJ for that and his honesty and courage in telling Meteb and Mifusd thats its not on

Come on...Get behing GJ like u were at wembley and stop slating him........

Spending £1.5m on a player doesnt make a club huge, it perhaps makes them an average CCC club?

I am behind him, why does every topic that questions something revert back to one that slates the board/manager??

I was referring to signing players from a higher level numpty. I have no concern about Johnson as a coach but do question Johnson ability to capture proven quality from a higher level.

We should of won automatic promotion last season but we didn't because of a shortage of strike power, hence why Johnson made signing two quality forwards his main priorty in the close season and hence why Byfield and Showumni were released to make space .

If we start next season with only Trundle and Adebola then we're starting next seaon in weaker position then we did last as we've actually released our top goal scorer who Johnson deemed not good enough for this level.

Trundle and Adebola are both proven goalscorers........They will both be there on Aug 9th........and i don't doubt after a full pre season With Gary Johnson both of them will be leaner and fitter than before!...

Numpty?....I'm no numpty...Just live in the real world.....and support my team through good and bad.....wether 5-0 or 5-0 down i trust in my team...Unlike u....who i think u will find from 90% of people on here.....would agree u are the numpty!

We've been in this division 1 season, 1 season, we were relegation fodder, mid table if we had a blinder. Look at where we finished, yes of course we were not promoted but for the love of all things holy, we missed out in the play-off final when we were the better team to a wonder strike. If we had a 20 goal a season striker then we may be in the Premier League now, but that doesnt give people grounds to criticise the manager and his techniques after the wonders he has worked and continues to work at this football club. Did Stewart and Bridges 'fire us to promotion' from league 1?

Quite right Jimmy.

In my opinion, the success we've enjoyed under Johnson is entirely down to the Johnson philosophy. If Johnson decides a player isn't good enough for him, the club etc then that's good enough for me.

Let's not try and alienate the best thing that has happened to this cub with petty sniping. If people want lots of summer signings, than let's bring Tinnion back, he was good at that.

Why people bother offering an opinion about why we didn't sign Mifsud etc is beyond me because quite frankly between Johnson, Mifsud, his agent and the walls, nobody knows what was said, so why offer judgment?

I haven't agreed with everything that GJ has done in his time here: I still think he could have got more out of Marcus Stewart and I still believe there have been times in the past when he favoured his son. So I'm not a GJ happy clapper. But...

Meteb knew he shouldn't play, but did. Mifsud said he was coming here to sign, then didn't.

Whatever the details (and reading between the lines it may have been a release clause that GJ didn't like with Mifsud) here are two players who broke their word before they even joined us. I can understand why GJ decided he'd rather not have them at the club.

I've also had my doubts about whether GJ's "my way or the highway" style would work with better players, who might have "attitude". But then I think about Michael McIndoe and Lee Trundle. LT in particular might have had attitude - own image rights , £1m fee etc - but I never once saw any evidence of him being stroppy and he always gave 100% on the pitch. It hasn't quite worked for him yet, but I'm still glad to have him at the club. And MM allegedly had attitude in the past - but I've never seen anyone as fired up on the pitch, wanting it as much. Ipswich away, 5 - 0 down, McIndoe sprints 60 yards to stop an attack. So GJ can work with these sort of players - if they're the right ones. "If you want to motivate players, find players who can be motivated" - like MM, like LT, like Marvin Elliott, like a few others.

So I trust GJ here. I still think we're a striker or two short, but I'd rather wait until August 31st if need be to get one who is good enough on and off the pitch, so that the team and the squad are stronger at the end of 2008 than they were at the beginning. I think they will be.

Archived