IGNORED

My Forum Suicide

potbelly

You're right,

It's better to get in players with bad attitudes that are the highest paid on the books to totally unrest the rest a quality squad.

IF we are going to take a risk to spend the highest amount in our history, we need to get it right.

Making the play offs once, does not make us a big club, we should have no right to expect to make these sort of signings in the first place, it's because of Johnson we even got this close to signing these people, it's because of Johnson that we are in a position that players like that want to speak to us.

So that, is why we trust Johnson, with the exception of Bas Savage, all of his signings have been sound and have added to the club in one way or another, if Gary thinks signing Mifsud or Meteb would of been detrimental to the club, then I will agree with the man that got to where we are, not taking a risk on a striker that might score a few, but make the rest of the locker room un settled.

So yes, in short, you're going to get flamed

if Gary thinks signing Mifsud or Meteb would of been detrimental to the club, then I will agree with the man that got to where we are, not taking a risk on a striker that might score a few, but make the rest of the locker room un settled.

This is exactly why i am confused with the mechanics of the process.

Do we really do all of the paperwork, medicals, sort out the money, agree terms etc BEFORE the manager talks to the player?

This is exactly why i am confused with the mechanics of the process.

Do we really do all of the paperwork, medicals, sort out the money, agree terms etc BEFORE the manager talks to the player?

No, Johnson spoke to Mifsud last Thursday and according to Steve L questions were fired both ways.

Terms were then agreed and medical passed end of last week.

Then it's over the weekend when things didn't go according to plan.

I can only assume that it was Mifsud's agent that provided The Sun with the Palace story and both Johnson AND Warnock were clearly annoyed by this.

You're confused and frustrated, but stand back, take a look at the facts and you'll see that Mifsud and his representatives just clearly ouldn't be trusted just like the Meteb saga.

Mifsud and his team moved the goalposts after terms were agreed, that's the crux of it

when a lesser manager would have played him every game no matter what.

:city::city::city:

No, maybe they wouldn't have bought him in the first place (or at that time) was my thought?

ANY manager unveiling the most expensive player they've ever bought would surely expect that player to hit the ground running a lot quicker than a certain Mr T?

We all want to see class players at City and we all see the need for a top-quality striker... but by your rationale you'd be happy if any incoming player didn't fit into the team properly until the latter stages of the season.....? Come on!

I have to admit that I'm not impressed by the club's PR over the past few weeks.

We can only speculate what caused the transfers of Meteb amd Mifsud to collapse - only the club knows the true chain of events and real reasons.

Maybe the club felt pressurised by this forum and the speculation in the press with regard to publishing updates, but having constantly taken the stance that they would not confirm anything until there was something to confirm, it is astounding and quite incredible that Meteb was paraded with the shirt, and Mifsud was mentioned in dispatches at the Open Day, BEFORE they had actually put pen to paper!

Whether the reputation of the club has been damaged by this remains to be seen, but to the public at large, we have now backed out of two high profile signings at the eleventh hour.

All of the reasons for these withdrawals have not been made public (apart from Meteb playing without permission), and can only fuel speculation as to the nature of the club's criteria for signing players.

No, maybe they wouldn't have bought him in the first place (or at that time) was my thought?

ANY manager unveiling the most expensive player they've ever bought would surely expect that player to hit the ground running a lot quicker than a certain Mr T?

We all want to see class players at City and we all see the need for a top-quality striker... but by your rationale you'd be happy if any incoming player didn't fit into the team properly until the latter stages of the season.....? Come on!

no what I'm saying is that gj had the guts to drop him after some under par performances where as some managers would have picked him just because of the transfer fee.when he arrived he looked a little unfit and as we know this was followed by personal problems.

my idea at the time was to loan him out to get more confidence and match fitness.however he came back into the side because he was the best of a mediocre bunch.

i believe that the strikers we have just need a little fine tuning and maybe a little more competition to push on.if we cant find a top striker out there we have to improve what we already have.

:englandsmile4wf::city::city::englandsmile4wf:

For the first time since he joined us i personally think that GJ`s position at the club is under scrutiny, and that`s before a ball is even kicked.

Either he is feeling the pressure of managing at this level or the Chairman is getting pissed off with the excuses. I don`t know what, but something is wrong and i don`t have a good feeling about things.

I have to admit that I'm not impressed by the club's PR over the past few weeks.

We can only speculate what caused the transfers of Meteb amd Mifsud to collapse - only the club knows the true chain of events and real reasons.

Maybe the club felt pressurised by this forum and the speculation in the press with regard to publishing updates, but having constantly taken the stance that they would not confirm anything until there was something to confirm, it is astounding and quite incredible that Meteb was paraded with the shirt, and Mifsud was mentioned in dispatches at the Open Day, BEFORE they had actually put pen to paper!

Whether the reputation of the club has been damaged by this remains to be seen, but to the public at large, we have now backed out of two high profile signings at the eleventh hour.

All of the reasons for these withdrawals have not been made public (apart from Meteb playing without permission), and can only fuel speculation as to the nature of the club's criteria for signing players.

what's wrong with just taking the views published officially as true?

"quite assounding?" get a grip on yourself!!!!

he had signed a contract subject to a work permit, and we cancelled the work permit application. signing a contract is a fairly mature point in any deal, so why not get the cameras in? it's a fairly calculated risk when you consider all the little ######## had to do was go home and not play a football game in front of 75k people. i do that all the time!

And with all the nonsense and pressure on this forum and local media to announce something on Mifsud, SL speaking to fans that he EXPECTED to sign Monday because player texted saying he would doesnt sound so heinous. Eespecially at a feel good Open Day. And then GJ pulls out because of reasons that in black and white doesnt seem so unreasonable - especially for a club with a deep and depressing history of paying over the odds for over-rated half interested ######s. He made a similar call on that Wycombe striker who then went onto score loads of goals the next season and be rated in the millions. don't hear of him much these days at Plymouth....

The club really are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't - as there will be hundreds of nobodies on here laying into every single event and every staement until they get that "championship manager" signing we think we have a right to make these days. i don't and won't blindly praise everything the management do for the club, but when i see intelligent men making intelligent ambitious moves that have broken down for simple understood reasons, i'm encouraged, not depressed. and if anyone else doesnt feel like joining me - you might want to recall the fact the current squad finished first last season, and we're still going to add a quality striker to it before the transfer window closes.....

Like others I disagree entirely with the questioning of Gary Johnson in this post and the undertones to those remarks are laughable. However I do have sympathy with the view that this is also a PR disaster that has been handled very badly in both timing and content of announcements.

Without being critical of Gary's position or abilities, I believe there is one specific situation that has not been adequately handled and that is this: once he was quoted with all these superlatives about Meteb and his long-time importance to us, it absolutely needed more reason to cancel that deal.

That's not me being nosey, quite the opposite, I just want GJ to be whiter than white, yet when you make that kind of positive case for a player as he did, you'll need to make a bloody good case for walking away from that deal and I've read nothing where Gary has made that case yet.

By not doing so it has made him appear disingenuous in the remarks he makes about players (i.e. as good as Gary describes yet he doesn't want him!?) and intransigent and less than pragmatic in decision making (i.e. can't compromise or take the risks where he sees such quality)

Signing Etam, Madman or whatever his name was, and Milfmufdiver would have been the easy options. Not signing both of them probably constituted the 2 hardest decisons GJ has had to make since he came here. Managers have to be judged by their ability to make tough decsions, not easy ones.

Johnson has got us to where we are because of the tough decisions he's been prpeared to make, not by the easy ones.

Archived