IGNORED

Gavin Williams

parkender78

Played right midfield, showed some good touches, made some good passes, isn't an out and out winger and played the same sort of role that Noble did in that position.

Looks very much like a GJ player, likes to keep the ball on the floor, don't think he's fully fit yet.

Once he has the fitness and sharpness to take on players he'll be very dangerous.

Give him a month and he'll be quality. Meanwhile if he's rubbish Sproule can come on with that insane pace for the last half hours of matches and really make an impact.

Totally concur with everything already said. Confident on the ball, plays the simple pass and not afraid to put his foot in. Always appeared to have time on the ball. I was talking to an Ipswich season ticket holder this week and he reckons that as long as he stays fit we have an absolute bargain for what we paid. Excellent squad player.

Played right midfield, showed some good touches, made some good passes, isn't an out and out winger and played the same sort of role that Noble did in that position.

Looks very much like a GJ player, likes to keep the ball on the floor, don't think he's fully fit yet.

this is almost exactly what i was going to write.

not a natural winger who will skin people, more a creative attacking midfielder like noble. great to see every time he has the ball his heads straight up looking for the pass. If we can keep him fit then i think he will turn into a really good player for us. he will fit well with our passing style, retaining the ball and keeping it on the deck.

another plus point is he swapped wings last night briefly with mccindoe (like man united do with giggs and ronaldo) for about 5 mins in 1st half, this could be a useful option as they both seem comfortable having a stab on either side

also agree with redhyde that if we need electric pace we can get supersub ivan off the bench for last 20 to give knackered left backs the fright of their life. (I have been v critical of ivan, he looked a lot more composed last night so fairplay to him).

anyone who was hoping for an out and out winger may be dissapointed though, i cant see williams beating men and getting to the byeline much

I asked Yeovil fans abut him yesterday and here are few replies you might find interesting.

Right wing would be the only place that Williams would fit in on a 4-4-2 given that McIndoe is too one-footed to swap.

The possible issue that you may have though is that whilst McIndoe is a "hug the touchline" winger, Williams is anything but. We got away with giving him more or less a free role down that flank where he could cut inside as he tended to do that a lot more than do byline crosses. However from what I've seen of GJ in the Championship, he's gone for a far more cautious approach than he did with Yeovil and so if Williams does start cutting inside then one of the central pair will have to move wide to cover him

He's best with the ball at his feet running at defences - not too fussy about position. Brilliant finisher, superb skills. The kind of player who turns a game on it's head in seconds...

I'd back him to play 40 games for you if he can stay injury free.

I used to love when he received in the ball out on the right and within a few touches he was moving deep into the opposition's half through the middle, the defence backing off and the crowd's murmur rising. You're right, he could change things in seconds.

Another reason to love him for you Reds is how much the Gas hate him.

His part in the infamous night at the mem when they had two sent off within two minutes all started with Supergav.

Wonderful memories (even though we drew)

So he's nothing like McIndoe and not an out and out winger, more of a right sided midfielder who likes to cut inside and get in the box and score goals.

Hope this helps

So he's nothing like McIndoe and not an out and out winger, more of a right sided midfielder who likes to cut inside and get in the box and score goals.

I dunno actually. I thought he was a little bit like McIndoe but down the other side. He did seem like enjoyed cutting in a lot though rather than McIndoe who looks to go on the outside. Both are creative players who work hard.

Think David Beckham proved that if you can cross a ball you don't need to beat your man.

very true

i hadnt meant to be critical of him, if anything my post praises him quite highly, i was just trying to explain what kind of playing stle he has.

i think that the post with quotes from yeovil fans is the best thing for us to go on now as thye would know better.

sounds like they also have him down as a player who likes to come inside rather a 'chalk on his boots' winger

He struck me as a player who would revel in the middle with either Skuse or Elliot doing the lion's share of the breaking up the ball, but, Williams certainly gets in, just lacks a bit of pace.

He has great awareness such as the build up to Maynard's second goal and likes to get in to the final 3rd.

However, this would of course mean taking LJ out of the team with a middle 4 something like

McIndoe Skuse Williams Sproule

Archived