IGNORED

So - Just Where Will City Finish This Season?

cheshire_red

It's nice to be optimistic, but I feel a top 10 this year would be a sucess, we over achieved last year and I don't think we should expect a top 6, not that I'm saying I wouldn't love it!

Sorry Dave, but you make it sound as if 4th finish for Bristol City was a fluke.

:nono:

Sorry Dave, but you make it sound as if 4th finish for Bristol City was a fluke.

:nono:

I'd love to know what GJs expectations are for this season. By the fact we have strengthend well and have the experience, hunger, fitness and belief, I would be amazed if he wasnt gunning for top two this season (or p/offs at very least).

No reason why we cant if we get off to a good start (and NM lives up to expectations).

Based on these facts, I'm saying top 2 finish!

The league as a whole looks stronger this year and we did overachiever last year no matter what anyone says. I will be happy with mid-table. The problem I see is people getting on Garys back if we are not "up there"

I agree. But I would say a couple of decent signings (Carle replacement and central defender) and we could be looking at top 6 again.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it completely comes down to how Maynard preforms this season. He is exactly what we were missing last season, and the amount of times we got the ball in the position where all we needed was a 'fox in the box' was shocking; I don't want to put any undue pressure on the kid, but honestly with the chances we created last season, it wouldn't be unbelievable that he COULD get 20+ goals. And if he did, then a top 2 finish is no where near out of the question; top 6 is almost a certainty.

Without it?? Well its relying on the other strikers, I'd say midtable is most likely

I agree. But I would say a couple of decent signings (Carle replacement and central defender) and we could be looking at top 6 again.

I feel sure GJ's personal philosophy would be to "Go for Gold"..top 6 is what the rest of the clubs in the Championship are aiming for, so top 6 according to that, would be a bit of a cop out!

As much as I hate to say it, I think it completely comes down to how Maynard preforms this season. He is exactly what we were missing last season, and the amount of times we got the ball in the position where all we needed was a 'fox in the box' was shocking; I don't want to put any undue pressure on the kid, but honestly with the chances we created last season, it wouldn't be unbelievable that he COULD get 20+ goals. And if he did, then a top 2 finish is no where near out of the question; top 6 is almost a certainty.

Without it?? Well its relying on the other strikers, I'd say midtable is most likely

My thoughts exactly. If he can chip in with anywhere between 15-20 goals we should reproduce last seasons form. 20+ and auto. That said, i think Dele will get his fair few this season.

Anyway, no pressure Nicky. :whistle2:

It's nice to be optimistic, but I feel a top 10 this year would be a sucess, we over achieved last year and I don't think we should expect a top 6, not that I'm saying I wouldn't love it!

I predicted a fifth place Championship finish before the start of last season - and we finished fourth - and now I predict we'll finish as Champions of the Championship for 2008/09. :winner_third_h4h:

It depends on a lot of things. For example, we need Maynard to hit the ground running, and for injuries not to play a part, and the usual necessity of luck.

If we get momentum early like we did last season, the 'believe' factor could make us contenders for top two.

The league will be a lot stronger this season.. Palace, QPR, Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Wolves, Brum, Reading, Forest all have very good squads. I think the promotion momentum and the "surprise" factor was a big reason for our success last season...and although we have a stronger squad, I still feel that we are a couple of signings short of genuine promotion conteders.

Reckon we'll finish 7th or 8th - But the top six has to be the aim!

The target for this season will be to emulate what we achieved last year, for what possible reason would we aim not to progress.

Last season West Brom, Stoke and Hull went up and bar West Brom, not many would have suggested the other two were in the promotion hunt. It is impossible to make a sound judgement until at least a couple of months into the season however if pushed id suggest we're looking at a 5th-12th finish.

If we start on a flyer, like last season, top six is certainly acheiveable. We have a decent team, but a lot of our rivals will have strengthened their teams, and I still think Swampsea will be a surprise package this season, like we were last.

If not 7th to 12th. no worse, unless we have major injury problems.

Always a difficult call with so many variables out of our control, last year I predicted we'd make 8th. Had a poll down the local lunchtime with a few of the lads missing and a couple of Gas chipping in with money on the outcomes on both clubs finishing positions (any post-pray offs not counting) after 46 games. Predictions ran from as high as 5th down to 17th (by one of our own!), even a couple of the Gas lads were more generous!

This season I reckon 5th, building on last seasons fantastic finish and even accounting for the return of Brum, Reading and Derby, the (bottomless?) cash pit for QPR and Forest and Swansea's return to the CCC.

COYR, time to stuff a few of the fancied sides.

Difficult call - Maynard gives the heart a lift and makes me think automatic promotion,common sense says play off's would be a great result (although I hate them with a passion despite the highs - Hartlepool at the Gate plus Palace last season - but Walsall in the 80's, Cardiff, Brighton and Hull still give me nightmares!!) but reality says top half would be perhaps more realistic ....... BUT if GJ can find a central midfielder to support Marv and possibly a quick,strong central defender to shore up the back, who knows!?!?! Who knows? One thing is for sure, if we (the fans) get behind them like last season then anything is possible!!

Archived