IGNORED

Anyone Begining To Regret Missing Out On The Prem?

rockin-robin

Right, I know we shouldn't be dwelling upon last season - it was a fantastic season - but surely some of you like me are begining to think that we could have been making a trip to Arsenal etc rather than Blackpool this weekend?

don't get me wrong, I love the CCC, but I really cant see us getting that chance again sometime soon. Most pundits have us in and around 10th place this season, which I think is optimistic, and would be a good finish, but I'll always have that 'what might of been' in the back of my head.

I love some of the optimism shown on here but I cant really see us mounting any serious challenge. Am I being selfish in thinking this and being direspectful? Or am I right in thinking that we've had our chance and missed the boat?

Right, I know we shouldn't be dwelling upon last season - it was a fantastic season - but surely some of you like me are begining to think that we could have been making a trip to Arsenal etc rather than Blackpool this weekend?

don't get me wrong, I love the CCC, but I really cant see us getting that chance again sometime soon. Most pundits have us in and around 10th place this season, which I think is optimistic, and would be a good finish, but I'll always have that 'what might of been' in the back of my head.

I love some of the optimism shown on here but I cant really see us mounting any serious challenge. Am I being selfish in thinking this and being direspectful? Or am I right in thinking that we've had our chance and missed the boat?

Not any more, because we werent ready and we would have been rinsed!

No regret here, I'm looking forward to the season and I think if we'd gone to the Prem there'd have been a serious risk of coming straight back down and losing GJ thus ending up in a worse shape despite the money. That's not to say I didn't want to go up, I did and still do of course, just that I'm not hugely disappointed we didn't do it last season.

If we can compete in the top 10 this season I'll be happy and if we're top 6 I'll be delighted. I want our progress to be sustainable so that we have a good chance of staying up when we go up and I think it would have been too soon for that. As the new stadium gets closer and our reputation hopefully improves from being and established top championship side I think that gives us more chance of attracting players and making it stick.

I don't think you're being selfish or disrespectful because it's natural to be disappointed but it will be interesting to see how Hull and Stoke are doing two years from now and whether the promotion helps or hurts them overall. They'll both certainly be back down here in 09/10.

My short answer to your question is no. There's still too much of a corrupt air around the Prem to leave me that disappointed.

Your view as to this season seems to be the majority one. I don't quite follow why that should be. I don't accept the usual Colchester argument since I see no parallel between the clubs at all. Nor do I accept the "everybody now knows about us" argument either, since logically the opposite also applies so they would cancel each other out. Everybody is also claiming the league is stronger this year but we cannot know that until it starts. Weren't all three relegated clubs favourites to go up last year? Did they prove anything to be scared of? Finally I don't believe there can be such a thing as a 46 game fluke. So unless the players who performed so well last year have suddenyl got worse I see no reason why we can't do well again.

No regrets from me personally. We'd have been absolutely trounced. We weren't ready for the Premier League and I believe Hull will cop all the problems we would have had this season. The Premier League is a lot quicker and a lot more accurate than sides in the CCC. A better all round team, coupled with the type of attitude GJ instills into his players should see us right. If we don't get into the Top 6 - we ain't ready for it! Blimey it's only a year ago when most of us (me included) would have been happy the Reds dodged relegation.

In my heart i am dissapointed to not be in the prem, seeing our boys walk out @ villa park emirates etc but then you do think "would we have done a derby(or worse)" so I'm happy we are in the league we are in and i do thik at times it is a better league for the fans.

General concensus is that we would have been trounced. Yet, as much as I hate to see us lose, it would have been great to see the mighty BCFC battle it out with the big boys. Also, you never know, we may have managed to scrape staying up.

It would also have done so much more for the reputation of the club and would no doubt of helped out financially. On the whole though, it probably was too soon - I doubt it was too soon for Hull City though?

It's all good - we're going to finish 2nd this season. And no - I won't name my source.

As a slant on Rockinrobins original question , in a few weeks time if Birmingham/Reading are top of the table and winning regularly, I wonder whether any of their fans will be missing the premierhip then?

Over the last 3 season we have become used to our team being sucessful and seeing the team winning a lot more than losing. Even if it was Premier League football, would that compensate if we had to endure regular tonkings?

Top four in the Premier League this season Man U , Chelsea , Arsenal & Liverpool (choose your own order) , followed by Aston Villa ,Portsmouth & Spurs

Top six in the Championship , no idea , could be anyone

Bottom three Premier League Hull , Stoke and one from Wigan , Fulham , WBA or Middlesboro

Bottom three Championship , no idea , could be anyone

Who wants to be in the Predictable league , the Championship is more honest & more fun plus there's still a number of decent grounds I havn't been to yet. You can even pronounce most of the players names.

Can't wait till tomorrow

Come on you reds (sorry , whites) :englandsmile4wf:

I wasn't that disapointed after Wembley as I couldn't have seen us getting anywhere near to promotion at the start so no regrets.

Fair play to Hull and I hope they do OK- would rather see some sides going up and doing well which will give the rest hope. But it will be hard.

Regrets?...no....que sera sera - it was a great fun season

Wish we were at Blackburn or Bolton Instead of Blackpool on Saturday ?....YES you bet

Cared if we got hammered every week & straight back down? ........NO because we would be exactly where we are now with a hatfull of cash and a lot more supporters

To those who think it would have been bad to go up and get hammered every week......

it could happen this season in CCC.....There are a lot of teams..A LOT of teams with resources much deeper than ours .....

Last season an unusual amount of teams did not come up to standard expected - Hull & Stoke took advantage of this ...we did not & I cant honestly see us getting a second chance for a while yet

My short answer to your question is no. There's still too much of a corrupt air around the Prem to leave me that disappointed.

I know what you mean about a "corrupt air".

On a sort of similar thread, a letter on teletext this morning a letter pointed out that that while Freddie Lundberg has just received £6m from W Ham to buy out his contract ( £85,000 poer week I thnk) so that he has cost them £500,000 per appearence, Don Hutchinson donated his last month's salary to help a couple of young trainees at Luton, because of their financial problems.

In a nutshell this illustrates all that's wrong with football at the very top, but, thanks to Mr huitshinson, it also shows that human nature in pro footballers is not all bad.

As far as Lundberg is concerned( and sadly the same can probably be said for too many of the top earning prem, players) this incident demonstrates that they tend to know the price of everything ( and in particular what they are worth) but the value of nothing.

Hutchinson has just shown that his sense of value is just fine.

I know what you mean about a "corrupt air".

On a sort of similar thread, a letter on teletext this morning a letter pointed out that that while Freddie Lundberg has just received £6m from W Ham to buy out his contract ( £85,000 poer week I thnk) so that he has cost them £500,000 per appearence, Don Hutchinson donated his last month's salary to help a couple of young trainees at Luton, because of their financial problems.

In a nutshell this illustrates all that's wrong with football at the very top, but, thanks to Mr huitshinson, it also shows that human nature in pro footballers is not all bad.

As far as Lundberg is concerned( and sadly the same can probably be said for too many of the top earning prem, players) this incident demonstrates that they tend to know the price of everything ( and in particular what they are worth) but the value of nothing.

Hutchinson has just shown that his sense of value is just fine.

You put it much better than I could. And congratulations to Don, a proper pro.

no i don't regret not being in the prem, although it would have been great to have won the playoff final ,but i think that we are better placed having had the expeirience of defeat. GJ will use this as motivation.Also our team spirit is unrivalled in the ccc which will also stand us in good stead.We are in the best position i can remember this season and lets not forget that the weight of expectation is on the big boys in this league. It will only take a wobble from brum or wolves an their faithfull will be on thier backs. I am hoping for a top half finish this time ,although another play off place is not out of the question imo

Archived