IGNORED

Maynard - Has The Local Media Lost The Plot?

Olé

Thought similar.

People blame fans for being cynical and difficult to please, but the way it's been reported it is as if Maynard HAS to score every game.

I don't know if any one on here disagrees with me but I prepared to give the lad a significant 'honeymoon' period.

Yeah very much agree.

I too was both amused and bemused by the 'rediscover his goal-scoring touch' comment. That is genuinely embarrassing journalism in my opinion. The person that wrote that must surely realise what utter tosh they are writing as they are doing so, or at least you'd hope so . . . .

yeah me too.

"Citys manager is backing his 2.25m capture from Crewe to rediscover his scoring touch sooner rather than later" is written in the Evening Post. (not WDP or are they just writing the same shit together?)

eh? his record is played 2 scored 3?

rubbish, desperate writing.

in fact if you just read the quotes from GJ about it, it was clearly him speaking in glowing terms about Maynard. Even the headline shouts "JOHNSON, MAYNARD IS CLASS" Its just that the article has been topped and tailed to create a problem that isn't there. possibly crap subbing perhaps?

Stockhausen (or your gashead sub editor) you should be ashamed. However papers are there to sell copies not make friends, so what do I know.

I think it's a non story.

Even the biggest nutter on here hasn't started saying what a waste of money yet, never mind the general fanbase.

I don't think it's helpful headline writing, but then when is there ever a helpful headline. How can he leap to the defence of Maynard..before there's an attack on him.. odd choice of words by the journo.

It'll be a great story if Maynard is a failure here for the journos, but it feels as though they've gone a bit too early on their stories and questions regarding him. It feels as though they'd like there to be a story.

Perhaps for once they should read the forum MORE and see there is no need for GJ to defend his new signing.

Is this really necessary after just one match?

Of course not, it's just your average third rate hacks that couldn't get a job with a decent outfit trying to emulate the national tabloid rags.

Nicky Maynard has a long, long while yet to get off the mark in the league before any real city fan will start to be concerned. I doubt anyone was in any way worried by Saturday's game, if anything it was encouraging to see a striker getting into those positions.

yeah me too.

"Citys manager is backing his 2.25m capture from Crewe to rediscover his scoring touch sooner rather than later" is written in the Evening Post. (not WDP or are they just writing the same shit together?)

eh? his record is played 2 scored 3?

rubbish, desperate writing.

in fact if you just read the quotes from GJ about it, it was clearly him speaking in glowing terms about Maynard. Even the headline shouts "JOHNSON, MAYNARD IS CLASS" Its just that the article has been topped and tailed to create a problem that isn't there. possibly crap subbing perhaps?

Stockhausen (or your gashead sub editor) you should be ashamed. However papers are there to sell copies not make friends, so what do I know.

Just the usual gas bias rubbish, anything about their clown like defending in the paper? No.

Anything about their keeper re-discovering his form after letting in three? No, usual shit from the Evening Post and Stockhausen, that's all.

Nicky Maynard has a long, long while yet to get off the mark in the league before any real city fan will start to be concerned. I doubt anyone was in any way worried by Saturday's game, if anything it was encouraging to see a striker getting into those positions.

Agree 100%. It seems we may have found a forward that will actually be in the box waiting for the ball, rather than one who is no where to be seen when the ball in crossed in... He will get plenty of chances and will score a lot of goals this season. The lad needs a chance to settle. Bloody local rags are cr4p.

Quality player. Yes he missed 2 good chances on Saturday but he will do well this season and take more chances than he misses.

The main thing for me is that he got into two goal scoring positions which is the hard part, any other day he would have slotted those home however he was just unlucky.

The comments from the evil post sum them up really, we all know they are chatting shit and that they are gas season ticket holders so i wuldnt worry.

Those people on big league weekend seemed to think he was an excellent signing and that gary johnson can improve him, then Jimmy floyd said something like 'hes not scored in one game and for everyone to think he needs to ''rediscover his scorin touch'' then he must be one heck of a player' :D

Btw jimmy floyd haseelbaink said hes lookin for a new club, doubt we wudafford his wages and wudnt reli be that gd but would there be any takers on ere?

Sadly, it's the usual drivel being spouted by Stockhausen again. The boy's got bags of potential and is the best up and coming English striker outside the Premier League yet the Bristol Media are on his back already after one game.

This is the problem in this country. We see a talent coming through and certain aspects of the media seek to destroy it. Only the strongest survive, as Beckham did post-98. I'd gladly back Maynard's level head not to be swayed by some third rate hack on a local pro-Gas rag any day of the week.

nothing anyone need get too excited about - journalists want a story so fill up the paper with whatever they can, so we go from sensational Maynard to can Maynard do it as this level in the space of two games! Like everyone I'm not in the least bit worried. If he missed a couple of 'sitters' then thats because he was in the position to have them, thats something we didn't do before because we were largely feeding on scraps or spectacular goals - we didn't have someone with the instinct Maynard has obviously got. I've been much more concerned about various forwards we've had who obviously laboured to get a chance.

I don't think it's the same as Trundle's situation last year - different types of players and the expectation is for Trundle to always do something spectacular.

Maynard will do well even if he does not score as he will worry defenders which will try and mark him in numbers,

this free's up space for others to get in on goal..

The lad will be a a big hit for city but saturday was just a bit of trying to impress to much instead of relaxing

and playing his game, the open goal miss seemed to me he was thinking about his celebration before he hit the net!!

but he is getting chances and getting in to positions so it won't belong before he scores.

Whole heartdly agree with topic, read the story this morning and thought it was just me. However I'm glad others have raised this matter cos yet again lazy story.

Surly the bigger picture on the back page should have been trollope being concerened with scoring 2 goals at home and still losing, and not maynard not scoring for all of 1 game!

Couldn't beleive it when saw the headline on board outside newsagents!

Jeez it is one game!! Does his goal scoring touch mean he's expected to score EVERY game?? If so we've got ourselves an incredible player!

Nothing like putting pressue on a young kid - as if the tag of being our most expensive player isn't enough

Build em up to knock em down - typical of the British press as a whole methinks

Still if he doesn't score tonight I'll be getting worried ...... not!

Mods - Do you know if EP reporters come on here? thought you may know who they are/ISP's n all that gash..

Where would they get there rumours from otherwise? :innocent06: There are several users registered from the BEPP offices and nodoubt a few who probably lurk as guests too.

They all come from the same IP too :surrender:

I see nothing was reported in the EP about big money signing Daryl Duffy (well big money in the lower leagues) rediscovering his goalscoring touch after failing to score in ONE game??

Neither was it mentioned about Philips being beaten YET AGAIN by long shots - 2 this time - which is one of the reasons he didnt make it with BCFC in the first place

Archived