IGNORED

Are There Any Plates Still Spinning?

rockin-robin

Now the season is underway, it appears that all the transfer speculation has died down somewhat.

I'm still optimistic that we'll bring in a couple of new faces before Aug 31st but have heard no more info since the open day when we were supposed to be speaking to a european striker who SL cant pronounce?

Having said that, do you feel our squad needs any additions to it? Will it upset the balance of the squad and/or is this the group of players that GJ has decided to carry the hopes of BCFC this seson?

Another striker, central midfielder and centre back would do me suffice. I thinking i'm asking too much though! :fingerscrossed:

With Elliott's short and long term fitness a big concern there is a need for spinning plates.

I guess the striker was shelved due to the money we spent on Maynard. But we could probably ressurect those plans if there's the need.

And with Cole Skuse currently the 4th centre back as well as first choice midfielder we do need a centre half as cover.

It don't think it's asking too much for those three positions to be filled by recognised experienced professionals. But there is the loan system for that.

Steve's position is that there is no fixed transfer budget. If Gary wants a player and we can afford him we go for it. However Gary has indeed used that phrase about upsetting the balance of the squad recently so I suspect there wil be no more until January.

I know this has been spoken about so many times before so I'm sorry for bringing it up again BUT...

I think it's a perfect time to put in a cut-price bid for Ben Watson...just to test Palarse. He's not being considered for selection, Jordan's leaving and is likely to want to get some money for a player that could leave at the end of the season...

With him not getting football...if he has any sense at all he'd see us the perfect club.

SORRY :innocent06:

I know this has been spoken about so many times before so I'm sorry for bringing it up again BUT...

I think it's a perfect time to put in a cut-price bid for Ben Watson...just to test Palarse. He's not being considered for selection, Jordan's leaving and is likely to want to get some money for a player that could leave at the end of the season...

With him not getting football...if he has any sense at all he'd see us the perfect club.

SORRY :innocent06:

Colin has indicated they have had only one bid approaching their valuation (allegedly £2m) but Watson did not want to move north. It was not from Forest. If nobody meets that price he will return to the squad. I suspect Watson thought loads of clubs would queue up to pay him a fortune but they haven't.

Steve's position is that there is no fixed transfer budget. If Gary wants a player and we can afford him we go for it. However Gary has indeed used that phrase about upsetting the balance of the squad recently so I suspect there wil be no more until January.

Well we had four centre halves last year and that didn't seem to upset the balance of the squad as Gary made comments about Vasko and golf clubs. Unless there was a horrible imbalance in the centre half slot last year which upset the club? Never heard that rumour myself... So at least on that front, GJ either considers we have 4 centre halves due to Wilson or Skuse being number 4 or he's working on bringing another in, or *conspiracy mode* there is actually a budget and Maynard took up alot of it which tbh would be perfectly understandable but contradictory to what we say publicly which of course would be understandable as GJ is hardly going to come out and say "i'm not being backed" after spending £2million on a striker.

I don't have a problem with us having a budget, I don't have a problem with us lying about that, I do have a problem if we run out of first team players in a position due to a reasonable number of injuries. But with the mess of the emergency loan system that problem isn't really applicable if we're willign to take advantage of loop holes.

Well we had four centre halves last year and that didn't seem to upset the balance of the squad as Gary made comments about Vasko and golf clubs. Unless there was a horrible imbalance in the centre half slot last year which upset the club? Never heard that rumour myself... So at least on that front, GJ either considers we have 4 centre halves due to Wilson or Skuse being number 4 or he's working on bringing another in, or *conspiracy mode* there is actually a budget and Maynard took up alot of it which tbh would be perfectly understandable but contradictory to what we say publicly which of course would be understandable as GJ is hardly going to come out and say "i'm not being backed" after spending £2million on a striker.

I don't have a problem with us having a budget, I don't have a problem with us lying about that, I do have a problem if we run out of first team players in a position due to a reasonable number of injuries. But with the mess of the emergency loan system that problem isn't really applicable if we're willign to take advantage of loop holes.

Well, I merely reported what Steve and Gary have said recently. Couldn't say if they are lying but I have no reason to think so. I suspect, taking into account the money from Nick Carle and the number of players who have left, our net spending is no more than last summer, if not less. I don't think there are any unreasonable financial restraints on Gary in the circumstances. The question is whether or not he feels he needs more now, not whether I do.

I agree we could probably do with another defender, maybe a midfielder and certainly a striker but it all depends on them being available at the right price and being the right players for the squad. I'd trust Johnson's judgement on that and certainly wouldn't want him to rush into signings. We can manage (and potentially do well) on what we've got but with a few injuries we might be stretched - the other side of the coin is with a bigger squad you've got to keep people happy or loan them out short-term. I hope the likes of Ribeiro, J.Wilson, Arus and Myre-Williams can make a contribution at some stage this season. No doubt in terms of squads there are much bigger ones than ours in the division - but there were last season too. That said I have a sneaking feeling there's one or two coming before the end of August.

The question is whether or not he feels he needs more now, not whether I do.

Well yeah his is the only opinion that counts...

I'm just saying I find it strange that we needed four recognised centre halves last season, but seemingly not this season and trying to examine the reasons and plausibility behind this. An unreported squad imbalance last season? An emergence of talent? A budget? Perhaps we've spinning plates?

I'm pretty happy with the squad and remeber GJ said he only brings in players who will be able to compete against our current team. So although a few people will moan we don't have enough cover I think you find we do however these are youngsters who are out on loan to get exsperience for when they are needed back here hopefully will be ready.

Although I wouldn't be suprised if we got one mopre player in a random free player from who knows. Or possibly a player on a seasons loan of course that we could buy him after if we wanted as thats how GJ works.

Forgive me for repeating a previous post, but with at least 7 players out and only 2 in to date, we must be planning to get at least two players in before the window closes. Especially with the concerns around Marvin's fitness.

We currently have Skuse as our only central midfield cover and Fontaine as our only centre half/left back cover. In my book that leaves us incredibly exposed were we to get a couple of injuries/suspensions. I am sure that whilst this maybe a breakthrough season for Ribeiro, GJ is not naive enough to be completely relying on him.

I'd imagine that with the recent embarassments caused by the Metab/Mifsud deals becoming public too early, GJ and SL are doing their utmost to keep negotiations as quiet as possible, until players are officially signed.

I also think that with the re-emergence of Brooker, the focus on getting another striker may have reduced a little.

watching big league weekend last night and i was surprised to see Andy Bishop still playing for bury.

striker at a decent age (about 25/26), scored goals for fun last season and started this season with another on saturday.

depending on whether GJ is happy now with the strikers we have (trundle not even being in the squad vs blackpool would suggest he isnt), i would certainly like a look at him.

I get a horrible feeling that we will not sign any more players.I personally feel this is a mistake and I am still waiting for Nick Carle's replacement.Also some cover at the back particularly for McAllister is needed.I will find it very strange if we don't get some in but personally as for strikers I think we are OK.

Gary and Steve obviously do have a budget to work against - it would be sheer lunacy to do otherwise, but it's most likely to be a wage budget rather than a transfer fee budget (although we're highly unlikely to pay out any more big fees after Maynard).

That said, more players have left than arrived, and at least Byfield must have been on something close to a Championship wage, possibly Vasko as well, and Carle was allegedly one of the highest earners. I think it's unlikely that the budget is used up completely even with new signings, raises for existing players and bonuses.

Gary will never waste money though and the thing about not upsetting the balance is, I think, more about the character of the players than the number. If the right player with the right attitude and the right wage demands is not available then Gary would rather make do with what he has. It's a policy that's seen him right so far.

Despite our success last season we're still not up there with the big boys in terms of what we can afford to pay out, so to an extent I think we're going to have to hope for a bit of luck. To have cover for a player like Marvin Elliot we would need to sign another player who is at least nearly as good as Elliot. Given that Elliot himself was one hell of a bargain, we'd have to either spend a lot of money on cover, which isn't realistic, or we just have to hope that either Elliot doesn't get injured much, or that if he does Skuse or someone else can step up their game to deputise effectively.

Id like to see a midfielder come in that is capable of covering for Elliott if his injury continues! I don't think GJ will spend for the sake of it though, only if the price is right and the player suits this club. I would have love to have seen Chris Eagles sign but 1 mill may have been pushing it after securing the signing of Maynard. I hope we bring a couple of loan signings in to bolster the squad, preferablly young prospects from premier league clubs that could cut it in the championship

Archived