IGNORED

Have We Got Any Good Players?

chinapig

After one competetive game I have read numerous posts telling me how crap Lee Johnson, Cole Skuse, Gavin Williams, Dele Adebola and Jamie Mcallister are. There has also been some dispute as to whether Steve Brooker is good enough for this league and some claims that Lee Trundle is finsihed. In the summer there were many who said we should sell Bradley Orr to Watford as he was no good anyway, whatever his fellow pros thought. Oh and since he left Nick Carle has become a key player and the new Gazza, though that didn't seem to be the view before. I may well have missed more criticism.

I find it hard to understand how on earth we got to the play off final with so many bad players. Perhaps I did in fact dream it. While no doubt any and every player can no doubt improve is this really the majority view? Am I alone in thinking we have a damn good squad of players, each of whom makes a valuable contribution with both their ability and their attitude? Am I the only one who enjoys supporting them? Or is the Gas view of us as a bunch of moaning Ashton Alf's justified after all?

Answers on a postcard please, and if I am in a minority does anyone know of a support group that will help me overcome my delusions? :coat:

Some good points china - I think our squad is pretty damn good of course it can be better but it could also be alot worse. Just need another defender to come in and we will have a go at promotion assuming elliott regains his fitness asap otherwise we need another midfielder!!

Guest Garfunkle

i cannot speak for the other posters, however, if you read my post on mcallister the whole point of it was that i don't feel he is good enough to help us 'push on' from last season. i was interested in other peoples opinions and i began a thread asking for them. does this mean i don't 'enjoy supporting them'?

this is a forum, not every comment will be positive neither will every comment be negative. if you don't like reading comments about players that some fans don't think are good enough to help us push on then don't read the thread. simple.

After one competetive game I have read numerous posts telling me how crap Lee Johnson, Cole Skuse, Gavin Williams, Dele Adebola and Jamie Mcallister are. There has also been some dispute as to whether Steve Brooker is good enough for this league and some claims that Lee Trundle is finsihed. In the summer there were many who said we should sell Bradley Orr to Watford as he was no good anyway, whatever his fellow pros thought. Oh and since he left Nick Carle has become a key player and the new Gazza, though that didn't seem to be the view before. I may well have missed more criticism.

I find it hard to understand how on earth we got to the play off final with so many bad players. Perhaps I did in fact dream it. While no doubt any and every player can no doubt improve is this really the majority view? Am I alone in thinking we have a damn good squad of players, each of whom makes a valuable contribution with both their ability and their attitude? Am I the only one who enjoys supporting them? Or is the Gas view of us as a bunch of moaning Ashton Alf's justified after all?

Answers on a postcard please, and if I am in a minority does anyone know of a support group that will help me overcome my delusions? :coat:

good post. people just like a moan. no matter how good a player is there will always be someone who doesnt rate them and if they come on here spreading their views then it wil stick in the mind even if no one else agrees with them. so fact is we have loads of good players, but you cant please eveyone all the time. a fraction of it may also be gas spies stirring it up.

Some good points china - I think our squad is pretty damn good of course it can be better but it could also be alot worse. Just need another defender to come in and we will have a go at promotion assuming elliott regains his fitness asap otherwise we need another midfielder!!

Agreed

Sure this has all been talked over previously but why did Carle go, I thought he was good ?

Not quite sure whether this post is to provoke a reaction or has been written in jest.

As pointed out on numerous occassions, this is a forum for people to talk about the team and its players. Some people will rate some players and some wont. Its all about opinions at the end of the day.

I don't really care who puts on the red shirt as long as they give 100% for the club. And, as to whether we have any good players question. Yes, we have lots but some will always be better than others. As for the Gas, they probably think they don't moan as much but I think they do. They have far more to moan about than we do. Perhaps they are just resigned to the fact that they are not all that great?

Not quite sure whether this post is to provoke a reaction or has been written in jest.

As pointed out on numerous occassions, this is a forum for people to talk about the team and its players. Some people will rate some players and some wont. Its all about opinions at the end of the day.

I don't really care who puts on the red shirt as long as they give 100% for the club. And, as to whether we have any good players question. Yes, we have lots but some will always be better than others. As for the Gas, they probably think they don't moan as much but I think they do. They have far more to moan about than we do. Perhaps they are just resigned to the fact that they are not all that great?

The Gas are just strange if you ask me

i cannot speak for the other posters, however, if you read my post on mcallister the whole point of it was that i don't feel he is good enough to help us 'push on' from last season. i was interested in other peoples opinions and i began a thread asking for them. does this mean i don't 'enjoy supporting them'?

this is a forum, not every comment will be positive neither will every comment be negative. if you don't like reading comments about players that some fans don't think are good enough to help us push on then don't read the thread. simple.

My point was not about your opinion on McAllister Garfunkle, to which you are indeed entitled and which you expressed perfectly reasonably without the kind of spite some of our players get (especially LJ). Rather it was the cumulative impression over the last few weeks that an awful lot of our players are not rated by our fans. I genuinely wonder and am interested in whether that is the majority view and why. Sometimes I think there is a certain lack of perspective.

My point was not about your opinion on McAllister Garfunkle, to which you are indeed entitled and which you expressed perfectly reasonably without the kind of spite some of our players get (especially LJ). Rather it was the cumulative impression over the last few weeks that an awful lot of our players are not rated by our fans. I genuinely wonder and am interested in whether that is the majority view and why. Sometimes I think there is a certain lack of perspective.

What spite towards LJ have you seen recently?

Or are peoples perfectly resonable opinions on him in a negative light deemed bullying?

Written for neither reason you suggest. Not my style.

Of course a forum will produce various opinions, and should. I simply reiterate that an awful lot of our players seem not be rated by our fans despite their achievements. It puzzles me that's all.

As to the Gas they have always claimed they support their team better than we do. I don't agree but sometimes we give them some ammunition I fear.

I know what you mean. I often read posts and think that some peoples opinions are often a bit harsh by saying that a certain player is crap or what not. If they were that crap then they wouldnt be profesional footballers playing in the second tier of english football.

However, what I think people try to express is their concern that we may have a player who is weaker than the rest in a certain position or is not up to the standard that will continue to push the team forward. I don't think many actually think they are rubbish but more likely a weakness in our armoury that will be exposed and punish us in games and ultimately cost us points.

Thats all.

I see your point but i also think that you are remembering the 'negative' posts more than the positive. This threade could easily be turned around to say ' do we have any bad players' if a collectiion of 'positive quotes' were taken

Is all about opinions i guess, only thing that worries me sometimes wd be if the players read it and saw they werent rated n people were having a pop when they think theyre doing their best, guess thats football though...

Guest Garfunkle

Unless you win every game during a season and concede no goals you can always improve. Every club in the world will have the 'groups' of players, favourites, mediocre, weak links, bad players.

In my opinion we don't have any bad players (in our first team) however we, like every other club, have weaker players. Fans, being fans, want the club/team to improve and to do that the weaker players need to improve, be pushed, or be replaced. that is football.

As for feeling sorry for a player that reads it, they are highly paid professionals and they are well aware that being paid a higher than average wage brings downsides as well as good sides, one being public criticism. It has been this way for years and always will be.

If a player cannot handle criticism then they should just avoid reading a forum.

You've clipped together the people who don't rate or don't like or just want improvements upon individual players and say so and somehow construed this as a attack en masse on the team/squad in general.

Noone sane i've seen has called for wholesale changes, everyone has their own tastes but I think you'd struggle to find a "we need to get 11 new players" thread nevermind a support behind it. Anyone saying that our squad isn't very good? Or we have a poor set of players? Again i've not seen it!

I think there are a few detractors of most of the squad but then you'll find more than often this is compensated by people with the opposite opinion. If you took their views solely all of our players would be good and perfect and nothing would need to change. Which as we finished 4th last season and started this season with a dodgey performance if not result can't be right as there are obviously improvements to be made.

I see your point but i also think that you are remembering the 'negative' posts more than the positive. This threade could easily be turned around to say ' do we have any bad players' if a collectiion of 'positive quotes' were taken

Is all about opinions i guess, only thing that worries me sometimes wd be if the players read it and saw they werent rated n people were having a pop when they think theyre doing their best, guess thats football though...

You're probably right on the first point. They tend to stand out more and people are more likely to post if they have a criticism I suspect.

On the second I imagine they're not too bothered. It is only a forum after all and we are a self selecting sample.

Unless you win every game during a season and concede no goals you can always improve. Every club in the world will have the 'groups' of players, favourites, mediocre, weak links, bad players.

In my opinion we don't have any bad players (in our first team) however we, like every other club, have weaker players. Fans, being fans, want the club/team to improve and to do that the weaker players need to improve, be pushed, or be replaced. that is football.

As for feeling sorry for a player that reads it, they are highly paid professionals and they are well aware that being paid a higher than average wage brings downsides as well as good sides, one being public criticism. It has been this way for years and always will be.

If a player cannot handle criticism then they should just avoid reading a forum.

Very reasonable points. No doubt Gary is always out to strengthen. Unlike someone like Paul Jewell he will not throw the baby out with the bath water though. What you have done that people don't always do is give credit where it is due in the process. Some perspective and balance between the positive and the negative.

You've clipped together the people who don't rate or don't like or just want improvements upon individual players and say so and somehow construed this as a attack en masse on the team/squad in general.

Noone sane i've seen has called for wholesale changes, everyone has their own tastes but I think you'd struggle to find a "we need to get 11 new players" thread nevermind a support behind it. Anyone saying that our squad isn't very good? Or we have a poor set of players? Again i've not seen it!

I think there are a few detractors of most of the squad but then you'll find more than often this is compensated by people with the opposite opinion. If you took their views solely all of our players would be good and perfect and nothing would need to change. Which as we finished 4th last season and started this season with a dodgey performance if not result can't be right as there are obviously improvements to be made.

Don't disagree with what you say. However if a newcomer took a quick look at the forum they might certainly get the impression we are riddled with weaknesses given, as I say, the cumulative effect of the kind of posts I have referred to. We can always improve (and have done and will continue to under Gary) while appreciating what we have already.

What spite towards LJ have you seen recently?

Or are peoples perfectly resonable opinions on him in a negative light deemed bullying?

Actually nothing particularly recently, though somebody started a thread before the season had even started. Last season though there were almost weekly threads of the LJ is only in the team because of Daddy type. Hardly mature and informed criticism.

Archived