IGNORED

Sloppy City Held By Derby

edson

Couldn't agree more, it felt more like a loss than a draw. First half we pished all over 'em and played some very nice stuff. At half time Jewell must have given them a right earful as they competed much better after the break. However, had it not been for LJs fluffed clearance I don't think they were looking like scoring if they'd played there all day. Bit of a bugger how McCombe went off as well because Orr and Carey couldn't deal with Hulse in the air at all.

"Derby, whose time in the Premier League only appears to have taught them how to dive, foul and waste time, offered nothing of note in the opening forty five minutes, save for a knee to Jamie McCombe's head which left the centre half with a suspected fractured cheekbone. Paul Jewell's prematch team talk appeared to be, "Whenever you tackle, leave a foot in", as time and again Derby players arrived late for challenges they had no hope of winning, and it was unfortunate that one of the few accidental fouls committed by the visitors caused such a nasty injury to McCombe."

That will get the sheep worriers riled oop.

Sloppy City Held By Derby

That feels like two points chucked away against a team that should have been buried by half time.

I'm not doing ratings, as I think it's fairer to assess it from the scores people give overall on the site.

The player rating script is also up now.

Thanks.

Good analysis Huw, and to all you newbies, take note. Reviews by Edson or Sipowicz[ Graham Clapp ] are made by two excellent judges of football. I would humbly submit the following observations.

Brooker won two good flick ons with his head, however Maynard was on the wrong side and missed two, one on ones. It only required a simple call, but the lads just been here a few weeks and the combination will improve.

Sproule can be anything, but continues to frustrate, like a second wife or having an Irish brain. :whistle2:

Its ok, my paternal grandpa is Irish, so I understand the Sproule mentality, perhaps an over statement.

LJ has continued to draw a mixture of praise and condemnation. My generation 60-80, have almost 100% in my circle of about 80 golfing retirees, say it was a mistake to sign him. A career with Yeovil, signed by Hearts and his career stopped, so back to the safety of the family. We just cant kill this situation. IMO taking a season as a whole, last season he scored 1 from 41, had about half those games as a good 90 minute average team man, the rest were 50/50 below average and above average. He will always do his best, but sometimes the simple option eludes him and the "show" option causes us grief. GJ wants players who affect the game ???

City will get their promotion if we play Wilson more in his best position, Play G Williams more to the center perhaps with Elliot and sell Trundle, with a faster player coming in. I love watching Trundle play, but the top of the Championship needs more speed/power and less party tricks. Oh yes, give McAllister some hard competition. GJ, give the youngsters more opportunities. James Wilson is almost the same size as McCombe, good in the air and better on the ground.

I have it from an impecable source that you read this GJ and she loves me almost as much as you.

I watched the first half, and have to say I thought City looked brilliant, could and should of been 2 or 3 up at half time. Cant comment on the 2nd half as I didn't see it, but I was impressed at what I saw today tbh.

In contrast I was only able to watch the second half because the rain Gods let me down at the cricket and it didn't start raining heavily until just after 6pm. Jewell must have knicked GJ's hairdryer.

Agree with previous posts - excellent first-half and only thing missing another goal or two but v.poor second-half and let them back into it. Derby may be on a poor run but still have some decent players (Hulse, Commons, Green, Savage even Ellington) if given the chance to get on the ball and play. We didn't allow them to do that f/half, harried them and totally outplayed them but s/half they had much more opportunity to build attacks and move the ball. In the end they were only likely winner. Should take heart from the f/half - best of season so far and lots of positives. Also drum it into the team - don't sit back and let teams onto you, just asking for trouble.

Archived