IGNORED

Last Sucessful Trial?

Redhyde

Basso certainly arrived on a trial as I saw his ressies debut on a midweek afternoon at the Gate against Swindon, I can't think of a GJ signing since that came via a trial, so it must be Adriano.

Out of interest, how competent did Basso look that day?

Eek forgot about Basso. Who was the last outfield player to sign?

Guy Madjo on a short-term contract?

Steven Gillespie? Or was that a loan? I remember Wilson sent him back and then Tinnion brought him in again.

Ah that's right, don't count Madjo as that wasn't exactly successful.

Gillespie and Scott Brown played in the same trial game IIRC?

Wilson signed him then Tinnion was here when he arrived at the club?

Out of interest, how competent did Basso look that day?

He looked good, though had a bit of a tendency to go overboard on the rolling around after each save. To be fair to him though he was at Woking at the time, so obviously saw it as his big chance. As we only had one senior keeper then (Phillips), it was clear even on one game that Basso was an improvement on the many youngsters who had been our goalkeeping back up since Stowell retired.

Steven Gillespie, Scott Brown and a third Scouser called Mark Jones all played whilst on trial in a reserve game against Oxford, which we won very heavily (7-0, I think), Gillespie definitely got 4 and was signed up on the spot. Our interest in Brown wasn't taken any further by Danny Wilson but as you say Brian Tinnion went back in the summer and gave him a short term deal, soon to be followed by a longer one.

Leroy Lita. Most people think he was a product of the youth system but infact was released by Chelsea and joined us after a trial. He also had trials for the sags (I was there as my brother was playing) but after an offer from us he joined our youth set up but pretty much went straight into the reserves.

Archived