IGNORED

More Gillespie

StapleHillPhil

DANNY IN MOVE FOR GOAL-ACE GILLESPIE

11:00 - 21 April 2004

Danny Wilson says he has seen enough of trialist Stephen Gillespie to warrant a move to try and sign the youngster. The teenage striker, recently released by Liverpool, added to the four goals he scored against Oxford in a reserve encounter on his debut with three more for the second string in a 4-1 Pontin's Holiday Combination win over Bristol Rovers at Ashton Gate.

The City boss was impressed with what he saw and said: "I will be speaking to my chairman (Steve Lansdown) to see if we can do something about the possibility of taking him aboard.

"The boy clearly knows where the net is and gets himself into some great areas.

"One thing I do know is I have first option on him, so that's all that concerns me right now.

"We are talking about very initial stages here but Stephen has done very well and we'll see if we can sort something to the benefit of both parties."

City, who included two other trialists in Scott Brown (Everton) and Jamie Gleeson (Southampton), were completing a hat-trick of successes over Rovers in this season's competition.

Darren Caskey again showed his skill in City's midfield where Marc Goodfellow was also in impressive form.

Rovers goalkeeper Ryan Clarke denied City an early advantage with brilliant saves from a Caskey free-kick and a powerful Goodfellow drive.

Leroy Lita was just off-target with a header before City took a 15th-minute lead through Gillespie after Clayton Fortune had headed down a Caskey free-kick.

Paul Tait went close with a header for Rovers, who then equalised three minutes before the break when Lewis Haldane set up Ryan Williams to beat Scott Brown from 15 yards.

Two goals in five minutes midway through the second half put City in charge.

Gillespie released Goodfellow down the right and his cross was headed back across Clarke by the young striker. Substitute Marvin Brown, Caskey and Ryan Harley then linked to create the chance for Goodfellow to make it 3-1.

City completed the scoring in the 83rd minute when a superb 40-yard crossfield ball by Fortune sent Gillespie racing clear to complete a well-taken hat-trick.

bye bye Peacock and Marvin ;):sub:
Or perhaps Leroy and Marvin? ^_^

I think Peacock will get an extension to his contract no matter what division we are in. He is Danny's (maybe not everybody else's) first choice striker after all!

DANNY IN MOVE FOR GOAL-ACE GILLESPIE

Leroy Lita was just off-target with a header before City took a 15th-minute lead through Gillespie after Clayton Fortune had headed down a Caskey free-kick.

Paul Tait went close with a header for Rovers, who then equalised three minutes before the break when Lewis Haldane set up Ryan Williams to beat Scott Brown from 15 yards.

Two goals in five minutes midway through the second half put City in charge.

Gillespie released Goodfellow down the right and his cross was headed back across Clarke by the young striker. Substitute Marvin Brown, Caskey and Ryan Harley then linked to create the chance for Goodfellow to make it 3-1.

City completed the scoring in the 83rd minute when a superb 40-yard crossfield ball by Fortune sent Gillespie racing clear to complete a well-taken hat-trick.

The Evil Post don't get any better put of the five goals described I only recoginse the Rovers one and Citys third.

The City's first goal came from a cross shot from Goodfellow.

Clayton's Pass was from the left corner of our area to the right corner of theirs, just about cross field I suppose and if thats 45 yards we must have the shortest pitch in British football! :@

If leroy went Wilson would be hounded out
Really?

I personally would not give a firk if Leroy was part of the wage reduction exercise which the club surely needs.

I see another Marvin personally. The odd good game in 3/4 and the odd goal in 5/6.

I know everybody will point to his inexperience and say he's raw; I would say he's clueless most of the time and I think whether it's next year or 5 years time; his level of football has been reached and possible surpassed at Division 2.

Just my opinion obviously. Time will surely tell!

I see another Marvin personally. The odd good game in 3/4 and the odd goal in 5/6.

When did Marvin ever get that much of a chance? I wouldn't blame any of the younger players for having low morale and wanting to get out. DW never gives any of them a fair shake.

I think it would be cool if perhaps we loaned a couple of them out (maybe to Yeovil) next season for the year. Lita tearing up Div. 2 with Yeovil would be cool.

Archived