IGNORED

Lee Johnson

kristian444

It's typical: when he makes a mistake there are 17 different threads all slagging him off, yet yesterday he did exactly what people said he should and no-one seems to care.

So, I just want to congratulate him on putting his shift in and yet still doing those fancy curly cross-field balls.

:clap::worship2:

It's typical: when he makes a mistake there are 17 different threads all slagging him off, yet yesterday he did exactly what people said he should and no-one seems to care.

So, I just want to congratulate him on putting his shift in and yet still doing those fancy curly cross-field balls.

Хм, Банан. Интересно.

Yes, I agree. Yesterday, in my opinion, he was second only to Adebola.

I agree. He got in a few really good tackles yesterday.... I do rate him and always have, however I do find it very frustrating when he pulls out of a 50 - 50's.

Every player has areas of their game they can improve, and hopefully yesterday was a sign that LJ is trying to do that.

Хм, Банан. Интересно.

Yes, I agree. Yesterday, in my opinion, he was second only to Adebola.

Indeed, Big Dele Adebola had a fantastic game yesterday - man of the match by a country mile. I did notice Lee Johnson clear the ball from defence on quite a few occasions - at least he was there helping the defence. Had he mis-hit a clearance - as against Derby - he would have been slated again.

Can't agree he created no goal threat, still looks as likely as Basso to score. Sits far to deep and issolates the forward line hense poor old Manynard coping it.

Made a few tackes and swiched play nicely a couple of times but there is increasingly fewer options to pass to as they are all covering him.

I totally agree with you I'm afraid. And I don't hate the guy at all.

Nor do I,

I'm just commenting on a posistion, where I think we have better options available and should be looking to strengthen. No different to the Brooker / Maynard / trundle debate but some will mischief make and say otherwise.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong - the team we have now is good enough to finish top half of the Championship. But are we happy with finishing top half when with a couple of quality additions and personnel changes we have the basis of a team that could move on to the next level? Because I believe we are potentially that close based on what I am watching these days. If we had an "Andy Reid" type player (who ran the game for Charlton against us at AG last season) alongside Marv then our central midfield would be better than anything in the Championship - but on the basis that we will not spend another couple of million on that type of player I would like to see Gavin Williams given a pop because I saw a couple of bits of play from him yesterday that led me to believe he can make a difference in the centre.

Disagree.......didn't think he had that great a game at all.

Made a few decent tackles but personally feel that is never a problem in his game, it's the constant and consistant lack of creativity, he does make the odd good long ball, but majority of his passing is simple backwards and sideways passing similar to that played of Skuse.

Still would like a creative attacking midfielder signed......but alas I don't think it will happen before end of transfer window......disapointing

most disappointing is that we have no suitable replacement for him if he gets injured or if his form is poor,

we didn't score enough goals last season which did cost promotion and I felt that was more due to the midfield than up front, unfortunately we are weaker in that department than we were last season.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong - the team we have now is good enough to finish top half of the Championship. But are we happy with finishing top half when with a couple of quality additions and personnel changes we have the basis of a team that could move on to the next level? Because I believe we are potentially that close based on what I am watching these days. If we had an "Andy Reid" type player (who ran the game for Charlton against us at AG last season) alongside Marv then our central midfield would be better than anything in the Championship - but on the basis that we will not spend another couple of million on that type of player I would like to see Gavin Williams given a pop because I saw a couple of bits of play from him yesterday that led me to believe he can make a difference in the centre.

That's the point I made on another thread, the curren team will at least finish half way, I'm reasonably confident of that but to have a better chance of finishing higher it is a posistion that needs looking at.

Andy Reid is a good example to use, if Johnson is not the ball winner then he has to be the play maker and for all that he does well, dead ball situations, providing an outlet for the back four. He does not get beyound the game line, does not provide a goal threat. For example had he score the same amount of goals as Elliott last year (6 I think) that could well have been the difference but he does not look likely to do that. City desperately need more drive from the midfield and have confidence to realse the other midfielder to do there jobs rather than providing cover for the central area.

Cover would be understandable if Johnson had vaccated the midfield by pushing on but he very rarely moves from in front of the back four. Leaving his partner the uneviable task of covering the rest of the pitch - an impossiable task.

I try to defend Lee Johnson in many cases, as there are certain aspects of his game that I like - he works hard, offers the short ball from defence, therefore helping us begin attacks and play our football, whilst also delivering a good set piece.

However, I agree with the arguments of many that he does not create nearly enough in open play. He cannot provide the killer pass for the front two, and he doesn't add any goal threat whatsoever. When you are playing him alongside a defensive player like Skuse, he has to offer a LOT more going forward. His lack of bite in the tackle (despite what the first post of the thread says) means that he also does not offer enough to break the opposition's attacks down, or dominate the centre of the park.

Marvin Elliot is in a different class to all our other midfielders, and I'd definitely given the full compliment of fit midfielders go with Elliot and Gavin Williams in the middle. Williams appears to have that bit of guile that we're lacking at times. The weakest part of our team, in my opinion, is the creativity of our midfield and the service to the frontmen. We have 4 decent strikers (5 potentially with Akinde) and with decent service, we will score plenty. But the service is not there, and I think we need to try something new. Gavin Williams, so long as he's fit, appears the best option in the attacking central mid position, to me. Maybe even Noble, but I agree that Lee Johnson offers more in terms of energy and workrate than Noble. But we are lacking a bit of guile and imagination going forward.

Elliot/Skuse and Williams for me. Lee Johnson is a decent player, but for me, he doesn't offer enough of what we need right now- creativity. And for that, I think Williams, on what I've seen, should be given a run at the central midfield spot.

Can't agree he created no goal threat, still looks as likely as Basso to score. Sits far to deep and issolates the forward line hense poor old Manynard coping it.

Made a few tackes and swiched play nicely a couple of times but there is increasingly fewer options to pass to as they are all covering him.

Agreed. Sadly I think the time has come in terms of the evolution of the team to get someone who can create something in open play for once. May even see the best of Maynard then.

Credit where it's due, LJ did get 'stuck-in' more yesterday and he didn't break anything. Although, it appears that may not be enough to placate some who want to see a more all-round player who can also create more from open play. Both LJ and CS were too far away from the front two.

I have never really been a fan of Johnson until after the Derby game...i was so pi55ed off with him i watched the game over concentrating on what he offers to the team.

I was shocked! He made a number of quality cross field passes to players in space on the wing, linked play up very well and was often at the start of our attacking moves.

Now i realise he does deserve his place but would also like to see a few others played in his position to see if they can offer more in terms of goals to the team (ie Williams, NOBLE etc)

Really pissed off after Derby

Thought he had a decent game yesterday.

Had a little chuckle, midway through first half yesterday, he was involved in a 50/50. At first it looked like he was going to pull out, but it was right in front of the Dolman. I'm sure he must have thought shit, I've gotta make this one or this lot we be on my back for the rest of the game.

Fair play, he fully commited himself and won the ball!

Team not really hitting top form, but we've not lost - averaging 2pts a game and just behind the leaders. Imagine if we start playing well!

Come on you REDS

Imo, LJ puts in a good 100% shift every game, however his 100% is not up to Championship winning standard. I wish it was, because his team attitude is just what we need

He plays as a 5th defender, passes back and sideways, with little contribution to goal assists.

LJ has the advantage of taking our deadball situations, add to that the forum has been alive with one HUGE point. Mcindoe, Wilson and Williams were all playing too narrow ? Players at this level , play to instruction and if so, GJ had them playing narrow.

If they are playing narrow they are all covering the midfield . LJ has every opportunity with all the dead ball situations. He has Elliot, Skuse, Williams, Wilson and Mcindoe helping to cover the midfield.

The other more personal aspect requires an older mind. Gj for sunday lunch could have his son and now a brand new grandchild. Believe me, thats a major distraction. Until you are a grandparent/parent, its hard to express the feeling.

If we are indeed aiming for the Premier League, we will need far more than Skuse and LJ. We need better, and indeed when we sold Carle we should have asked for Watson, Wellens or at least some midfielder who can score, tackle and create.

Frankly put, we have not bought one, and are not selecting one from the players available, if indeed they are good enough.

Most people come on here and knock Lee Johnson for any little thing. He could have a great game and make one bad pass and people will pick up on that instead of the positives! I still stand by what i say in that when he was out injured towards the end of the season, the team missed him and we all know the outcome in may. Just get behind the team and ALL the players and help push us on to the promised land!

Imo, LJ puts in a good 100% shift every game, however his 100% is not up to Championship winning standard. I wish it was, because his team attitude is just what we need

He plays as a 5th defender, passes back and sideways, with little contribution to goal assists.

LJ has the advantage of taking our deadball situations, add to that the forum has been alive with one HUGE point. Mcindoe, Wilson and Williams were all playing too narrow ? Players at this level , play to instruction and if so, GJ had them playing narrow.

If they are playing narrow they are all covering the midfield . LJ has every opportunity with all the dead ball situations. He has Elliot, Skuse, Williams, Wilson and Mcindoe helping to cover the midfield.

The other more personal aspect requires an older mind. Gj for sunday lunch could have his son and now a brand new grandchild. Believe me, thats a major distraction. Until you are a grandparent/parent, its hard to express the feeling.

If we are indeed aiming for the Premier League, we will need far more than Skuse and LJ. We need better, and indeed when we sold Carle we should have asked for Watson, Wellens or at least some midfielder who can score, tackle and create.

Frankly put, we have not bought one, and are not selecting one from the players available, if indeed they are good enough.

Well said!

Agreed.

LJ played a blinder yesterday and, same as Coventry, was pipped to MOM by Adebola. He kept City moving forward all game and rarely gave the ball away.

Shame that a lot can't see beyond the fact that his father happens to be the manager.

But he's never going to get over that is he.

They had 9 men behind the ball second half - if we had Deco in the side, even he would have struggled against a very well organised team like QPR who will be a top 6 side with no doubt.

Sometimes, you just have to give the opposition a bit of credit for being a good team with 5 very decent midfielders and it always mystifies me that people only watch one side of the game - our side, and then pick holes in it without allowing for the fact that the other side has a say in proceedings.

I'm affraid the old argument of "just becuase he is the managers son" is a little tired and is in effect direspectful to the player the manager and most importantly the football club. Many on here have put reasoned arguments as to why it is thought that different options should be used or at least considerd. And to dismiss those as just acqusations of nepotism is blatantly wrong.

I personaly think both Johnson and Skuse have given good service put to progress further other options will be needed. Every player has his threshold and I think these two have reached theirs. Bringing Deco into it is not exactly like for like, can't rember the last time Johnson or Skuse scored from distance, but we have one midfielder that did last season - Marvin Elliott against Stoke and Ipswich for starters.

And yes QPR did defend well but is wasn't made that difficult for them was it? No running from midfield beyound the game line, no running at defenders just measured passes backwards and sideways and the odd punt up the pitch. We all have to realise that QPR's reaction to getting a point means that for the pros at least, if not the media, is that City have arrived and many more teams will sit deep with two lines of four. And if City don't posess more invention and craft there will be many more frustating afternoons at the gate.

Leave perosnailities out of it and concentrate on the peroformances, you may disagree with me, which is your right but my opinion such as it is comes from watching the games as quite frankly I don't care, who the players are or who their fathers are. I just want to see City be the best team possiable.

I'm affraid the old argument of "just becuase he is the managers son" is a little tired and is in effect direspectful to the player the manager and most importantly the football club. Many on here have put reasoned arguments as to why it is thought that different options should be used or at least considerd. And to dismiss those as just acqusations of nepotism is blatantly wrong.

I personaly think both Johnson and Skuse have given good service put to progress further other options will be needed. Every player has his threshold and I think these two have reached theirs. Bringing Deco into it is not exactly like for like, can't rember the last time Johnson or Skuse scored from distance, but we have one midfielder that did last season - Marvin Elliott against Stoke and Ipswich for starters.

And yes QPR did defend well but is wasn't made that difficult for them was it? No running from midfield beyound the game line, no running at defenders just measured passes backwards and sideways and the odd punt up the pitch. We all have to realise that QPR's reaction to getting a point means that for the pros at least, if not the media, is that City have arrived and many more teams will sit deep with two lines of four. And if City don't posess more invention and craft there will be many more frustating afternoons at the gate.

Leave perosnailities out of it and concentrate on the peroformances, you may disagree with me, which is your right but my opinion such as it is comes from watching the games as quite frankly I don't care, who the players are or who their fathers are. I just want to see City be the best team possiable.

Nice balanced post - I think until a viable alternative 'creative' central midfielder is signed or conjured up from within the club who the manager sees as competition to Lee, then the debate will rumble on.

I honestly don't think many people object to the principle of the managers son playing - just that many struggle to see why he's an automatic shoe in week in week out when his performances generate such widely different ratings from people.

I don't know another player in the 1st team who is subject to such heated discussion.

Archived