IGNORED

Christian Roberts

BS3_RED

Real shame for the guy. I always liked him when we had him and really think we should have kept hold of him.

His goal against Hartlepool will live with me foreever as the most emotional goal i have ever seen.

All the best Christian.

Really disappointing news. especially after the guy battled back to sort out his off field problems.

Although a very inconsistant performer, largely i always felt due to being asked to play out wide too often, he left some great memories at AG.Hartlepool, Mansfield and Baadiff spring to mind.

I've often wondered since he left, what GJ could have done with him because the potential was always there.

Only saw him fully for one season.

Obviously remembered for the Hartlepool game, but there were some other decent moments.

I remember him being played through on goal about 20 times against Grimsby at home, and in the 90th minute, he was through and finally scored to win 1-0. It was like trial and error over and over and over.

I remember a class goal too when he did a cruyff turn with back to goal to do him man, turn him then slot in the bottom corner.

Also met him at a Team Bath friendly and was a good bloke.

nah bolox to him. he was an alcoholic and obviously spent/wasted a lot of the clubs (our) money to feed that habit whilst on the books here.

How many of us watched him after 2 cups of tea and glass of water (0). I wish him and his family all the best in the future. Thanks for the Memories Christian..

Highbridge Red

nah bolox to him. he was an alcoholic and obviously spent/wasted a lot of the clubs (our) money to feed that habit whilst on the books here.

I was going to delete this message but decided that by leaving it up people will see just what a stupid comment you have made. An addiction is an illness, he didn't choose to have an addiction to alcohol and fair play for working his problems out which is a very difficult thing to do. I sincerely hope you or a close family member/friend does not put you through the pains of an addiction.

I was going to delete this message but decided that by leaving it up people will see just what a stupid comment you have made. An addiction is an illness, he didn't choose to have an addiction to alcohol and fair play for working his problems out which is a very difficult thing to do. I sincerely hope you or a close family member/friend does not put you through the pains of an addiction.

Christian roberts IMO opinion was a flop whichever way you cut it. The player wore gloves one of the first times he played for us, says alot in my book. His goal at Hartlepool was good but really cant say he was that good a servant to us. Gary J would not have stood for his antics and leaving when he did prlonged his career by a good 5 years. Wasted his talent alot of players would give their right arm for his abilty but he squandered it on booze and jack the lad living.

I wish him all the best though and I'm sure he will get a call for the masters if it is not too late.

It was incredibly brave of Christian to publically admit his alcoholism and choose to face his demons when there are plenty of other professional footballers who haven't, or wouldn't. They're the real wasters.

Christian will forever have my admiration.

Christian roberts IMO opinion was a flop whichever way you cut it. The player wore gloves one of the first times he played for us, says alot in my book. His goal at Hartlepool was good but really cant say he was that good a servant to us. Gary J would not have stood for his antics and leaving when he did prlonged his career by a good 5 years. Wasted his talent alot of players would give their right arm for his abilty but he squandered it on booze and jack the lad living.

I wish him all the best though and I'm sure he will get a call for the masters if it is not too late.

What the hell's wrong with wearing gloves to play football?!? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it does get quite cold wearing a t-shirt and shorts in the middle of December in this country when you're running around outside for two hours. Lots of players wear gloves. It helps improve circulation and improves blood flow, and therefore probably slightly improves your performance.

Christian Roberts comes across as a very decent, average bloke who truly loved his home-town club (sadly, he couldn't help where he was born), but still put a lot into this club while he was here. He was talented, and scored some memorable and quality goals for us, but did frustrate and disappoint on occasions. He was still a good player for us.

Yes, he probably squandered money on booze and 'jack the lad' living, but how many of you all give a secret smile when you hear the George Best quote along similar lines? Most of us know that many footballers are put in a position with a lot of money and a lot of time on their hands, and a lot of adoring fans, and many of them female, out there.

It's very sad for him that he has to retire, but I get the impression he's had enough of football and probably has other things in his life he'd rather pursue now.

I want to wish him all the best and hope he continues his recovery.

I have just been watching the highlights on youtube.

That is one away game i will always regret not going too.

That very second he scored, that single solitary moment in time, will stay with me forever.

That was possibly the single greatest combined explosion of joy, relief, pleasure, excitement, and pure amazement at what had just happened that I have ever experienced.

It wasn't just the goal, it was the way he did it. Setting up the equaliser first of all was good. But to then take their defence apart, and so calmly, so easily, with all the relaxation and focus in the world, simply slot that ball into the corner of the net was absolutely stunning.

Thanks, Christian.

Hartlepool and Mansfield will be the main memories of Robbo but for me it will be his display at Tinnion park when he didn't celebrate scoring against the team he admitted to loving but still played an absolute blinder.

Good luck in the future from me!

What the hell's wrong with wearing gloves to play football?!? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it does get quite cold wearing a t-shirt and shorts in the middle of December in this country when you're running around outside for two hours. Lots of players wear gloves. It helps improve circulation and improves blood flow, and therefore probably slightly improves your performance.

Christian Roberts comes across as a very decent, average bloke who truly loved his home-town club (sadly, he couldn't help where he was born), but still put a lot into this club while he was here. He was talented, and scored some memorable and quality goals for us, but did frustrate and disappoint on occasions. He was still a good player for us.

Yes, he probably squandered money on booze and 'jack the lad' living, but how many of you all give a secret smile when you hear the George Best quote along similar lines? Most of us know that many footballers are put in a position with a lot of money and a lot of time on their hands, and a lot of adoring fans, and many of them female, out there.

It's very sad for him that he has to retire, but I get the impression he's had enough of football and probably has other things in his life he'd rather pursue now.

I want to wish him all the best and hope he continues his recovery.

Gloves probably not worth mentioning i just never took to the guy. Christian Roberts is not even in the same universe George best. George best had an outrageous talent and god only knows what he would have done if was able to stay off the sauce, that is why you can say god ol george. He had the talent to do just about anything with a football and was half cut most of the time. I applaud him for saying he had a problem and for getting help. For me he was part of the booze culture that was for so long part of being a footballer which is no longer acceptable for today's professionals. I just get the feeling that we never saw the best of him even though he had the ability.

I will always remember his Hartlepool goal but i don't not view his time with us through rose tinted glasses.

I do wish him all the best with his battle against his addictions and hope that he can overcome them in the future.

despite the pathetic comments of those 2 above morons, Christian was a Good Lad with a limited ability but punched above his weight for a time at City, had a good work ethic who's career highlights were probably with us, Scored 2 of the most Memorable City goals in recent years against Mansfield and Hartlepool which are up there alongside Tinnion at Anfield as "moments" we will all never forget, also can't forgot his 2 winning goals against Cardiff.

Shame that after he fought back from his off field problems unlike many others,that haven't, it's a shame that his career is over so early due to injury.

All the best for the future.....

Gloves probably not worth mentioning i just never took to the guy. Christian Roberts is not even in the same universe George best. George best had an outrageous talent and god only knows what he would have done if was able to stay off the sauce, that is why you can say god ol george. He had the talent to do just about anything with a football and was half cut most of the time. I applaud him for saying he had a problem and for getting help. For me he was part of the booze culture that was for so long part of being a footballer which is no longer acceptable for today's professionals. I just get the feeling that we never saw the best of him even though he had the ability.

I will always remember his Hartlepool goal but i don't not view his time with us through rose tinted glasses.

I do wish him all the best with his battle against his addictions and hope that he can overcome them in the future.

If you read the meaning of the words, rather than just the names I was in no way comparing Christian Roberts to George Best! Best was an amzing talent, but let's not forget, he retired from football the first time at the age of 27!!! The only other similarities, other than that they were footballers, was that they both retired early and both had drink problems. Best continued to battle his until the day he died, whereas Roberst seems to be recovering.

He was never 'Good Ol George'. He was an idiot. An amazingly talented idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. That's why I don't say 'Good Ol George' because personally I found it even more frustrating that he wasted his peak years and could have been so much more than he was.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased you approve of Robert's recovery and hope that continues. I never saw him through rose-tinted specs. Those moments he provided for us were amazing when they happened, but again read what I wrote and you'll see I say Roberts had the ability to frustrate and disappoint. He wasn't perfect, but then not many people are apart from nearly all the contributors to this website.....

Archived