IGNORED

Newcastle Fans

windmillhillred

Now I must admit that I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle.

However, the attitude of some of their fans is hilarious. Just heard an interview with a Toon fan re ongoing Keegan situation. He was going on and on about Newcastle needing to be 'back where they belong.' Which is where, exactly? I hate big club syndrome full stop, but at least clubs like Forest have actually achieved something. What have Newcastle ever done than been a middle of the road top flight club to give their fans the indication that Halycon days of the champions league final are just around the corner.

Anyway, the interview goes on, and the bloke suggests a consortium of Geordies, led by Keegan and Shearer, buy the club. He said he is sick of the club being not being run by Geordies. Then says how disappointed he is that the Dubai investors didn't pick Newcastle! Quality!

Then, and this is the bit that really sticks in my throat, he says: "It's their losss, because we've got the best fans in the world..." What is their obsession with being quality fans just because a few fat blokes get their tops off in the stands every now and again?

That said, when I was growing up, they seemed to trade 4-3 games with Liverpool every year and once tonked Man United, so the soft spot is still there, just about.

To paraphrase Keegan... I would 'love it' if Newcastle went down! Give them a sense of reality for a change.

And the bit about 'best fans' annoys me too. What about the fans of lower league (or even non-league) clubs that travel all over the country to crap grounds standing in whatever the weather can throw at them watching lower standards of football? Or even (dare I suggest it) fans that have had to travel to grounds they share with other clubs.. thus making every game effectively an away fixture?

St James' Park is in the centre of Newcastle... falling out of a bar into the ground with high/unrealistic expectations of what the team should acheive based on a bunch of memories or stories their Dads told them does not in my opinion make them the 'best fans in the world'.

Lots of people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about this best fans thing but that's because people are taking it personally when it's just a generalization.

Given the lack of success their club has they get a fantastic number of supporters through the gates. They sold out pretty much every game last season and I think got the third highest average crowd despite having a shit season. That sort of loyalty is pretty admirable I think.

To paraphrase Keegan... I would 'love it' if Newcastle went down! Give them a sense of reality for a change.

And the bit about 'best fans' annoys me too. What about the fans of lower league (or even non-league) clubs that travel all over the country to crap grounds standing in whatever the weather can throw at them watching lower standards of football? Or even (dare I suggest it) fans that have had to travel to grounds they share with other clubs.. thus making every game effectively an away fixture?

St James' Park is in the centre of Newcastle... falling out of a bar into the ground with high/unrealistic expectations of what the team should acheive based on a bunch of memories or stories their Dads told them does not in my opinion make them the 'best fans in the world'.

Totally agree with you mate - all this 'Geordie nation' and 'best fans in the world' crap.

What attendances did they get when near the bottom of what is now the CCC ?

Their stadium is where everyone can reach it, courtesy of their brilliant transport system, funded by the southern poofters, and together with Gateshead, they have a big catchment area, with only one club in it.

I'd put Sheff Wednesday fans miles ahead of them for all the s**t they have had over the past 10 years.

I hope Newcastle get a taste of championship football soon.

Lastly, I hope that ####### Keegan ends up touting for a job down south - remember when he most recently arrived at the 'Toon' and said 'going to foot ball for a Geordie is like a southener going to opera' - or words to that effect.

Up their own arse ######s need a reality check.

Following on from the wonderful tradition of using stats to prove anything:

from http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufchistor...cerecords.shtml

1990/1991 Division Two (Old) 11 16,879

1980/1981 Division Two (Old) 11 16,001

What's Geordie for 'King Kev's bandwagon'?

What makes the 1991 seasons have look even worse is

after KK took over (his 1st game was against us) they were getting 33K plus

So how low were thier crowds before he came!!!!!!!!

Archived