IGNORED

The One That Got Away

kachina

Emile Mpenza a free agent signs for Plymouth, rumoured to be on 12k a week.

I personally think he was the type of player we were missing and he looked deadly at the gate last season. This was in my opinion the type of player we should have signed as he is what we lack.

Ditto. He is a very good player and its suprising he has gone to plymouth, the only answer would be no one else was interested.

Strong striker who's got a bit of pace. Did you not see we signed Akinde?

Theres a difference though to a player who has performed at Premier League level, and a promising young player from non league football. I know the game is about taking chances, but to get to the premier you need proven class players. John Akinde may in time be an excellent signing but this is a big step up in class, whilst someone like Mpenza has proven quality at a higher level. People may say 12k a week is alot, but technically its 500k a year, plus prob a 100k sign on, give say 2 year contract, thats an outlay of £1,100,000 which is only 100k more than we paid for Trundle prior to wages. In time I think this will prove a fantastic signing by Plymouth.

I think Nicky may score more this season. Thats quite a bit of money too. Haven't seen enough of him to tell if he's worth it. His appearence were few and far between at city.

Also not one for the future at the age of 30.

Not that much of a gamble really.

He's a free agent who's signed til the end of the year. So that's under £500k in wages until 30 June 09 which ain't bad for a player who's an international for a decent country, bags of experience at the highest level domestically and in European competition IMHO.

He's a free agent who's signed til the end of the year. So that's under £500k in wages until 30 June 09 which ain't bad for a player who's an international for a decent country, bags of experience at the highest level domestically and in European competition IMHO.

Agreed, but we can't get em all - he'd have certainly come to City over Plymouth .

Be nice if some free agents were out there though..

you make some good points, but don't you think we got enough ageing forwards?? I'm glad we've invested in some quality youngsters

Theres a difference though to a player who has performed at Premier League level, and a promising young player from non league football. I know the game is about taking chances, but to get to the premier you need proven class players. John Akinde may in time be an excellent signing but this is a big step up in class, whilst someone like Mpenza has proven quality at a higher level. People may say 12k a week is alot, but technically its 500k a year, plus prob a 100k sign on, give say 2 year contract, thats an outlay of £1,100,000 which is only 100k more than we paid for Trundle prior to wages. In time I think this will prove a fantastic signing by Plymouth.

Oh you've change your story from

"I personally think he was the type of player we were missing"

to

"I don't like the one we have"

Ah. Mpenza is proven class. He's proven that no-one above 21st in the championship would pay him 12k a week. It's not a huge gamble, it's just picking up a player on his last legs who's not been highly rated since about 2004 in a desperate attempt to keep yourself in this league.

Maybe he'll be great, but we didn't want him and I trust our management team over Sturrock.

you make some good points, but don't you think we got enough ageing forwards?? I'm glad we've invested in some quality youngsters

I wasn't saying we should've signed him. Just replying to 'Grims' post where he intimated he'd cost a lot when in reality it isn't that much of a financial gamble for a player of his pedigree.

Ah. Mpenza is proven class. He's proven that no-one above 21st in the championship would pay him 12k a week. It's not a huge gamble, it's just picking up a player on his last legs who's not been highly rated since about 2004 in a desperate attempt to keep yourself in this league.

Maybe he'll be great, but we didn't want him and I trust our management team over Sturrock.

Our Sven rated him just last season :whistle2:

Oh you've change your story from

"I personally think he was the type of player we were missing"

to

"I don't like the one we have"

You what, I don't say I don't like the one we have, I just stated I think its better to get a proven product than a potential one as a first team player. Okay J A looks promising, and Johnson says he thinks he will make up into a Championship player, but surely were aiming to be the prem next season not the Championship, is that basically saying JA is here for 1 year ?

Archived