IGNORED

Pitch Size

Red_Mat

Interesting point I've just noticed on the Post's article(!) about the new training facilities, it says the new pitch has been built with exactly the same specifications as Ashton Gate.

Now, that's great, but we are planning to move from there in a year or three. What if we change pitch size?! Or will we keep it exactly the same?

It's an interesting thought, actually, as Arsenal went from having one of the smallest pitches in the whole league (Highbury), to having one of the largest (the Emirates). It might have explained why, at the start of their time there, they had a small problem adapting and settling in - it affect the stlye and quality of their play.

With everybody going for larger and larger pitch sizes, to ensure they can fit more stand space round the sides obviously, will we do the same? The Gate is a reasonably large pitch anyway, which has helped us develop our reputation for expansive wing play. The sags have always had small pitches which has helped them develop a reputation for 'hoof and run'.

Thoughts?

Guest Red Cell
Interesting point I've just noticed on the Post's article(!) about the new training facilities, it says the new pitch has been built with exactly the same specifications as Ashton Gate.

Now, that's great, but we are planning to move from there in a year or three. What if we change pitch size?! Or will we keep it exactly the same?

It's an interesting thought, actually, as Arsenal went from having one of the smallest pitches in the whole league (Highbury), to having one of the largest (the Emirates). It might have explained why, at the start of their time there, they had a small problem adapting and settling in - it affect the stlye and quality of their play.

With everybody going for larger and larger pitch sizes, to ensure they can fit more stand space round the sides obviously, will we do the same? The Gate is a reasonably large pitch anyway, which has helped us develop our reputation for expansive wing play. The sags have always had small pitches which has helped them develop a reputation for 'hoof and run'.

Thoughts?

I didn't realise we had a reputation for expansive wing play. In fact whilst watching the 2nd half of the QPR game I was beginning to think we didn't have any wingers never mind a reputation for them and their play.

Where are Mark Gavin and Dave Smith?

good god you must be bored.

Alright, alright, thanks for the sarcasm. Hardly ground-breaking, but just an interesting point, I thought. (Jees, why are people so quick to take the piss on here...?!)

In terms of our expansive play, we have had, over the last 20 years or so, numerous wingers: Tinnion, Murray, Goodridge Brown, Bent, McIndoe, Sproule, Smith, Donawa, etc. And have had a number of central midfield passers who have been quick to spread the ball wide: Tinnion, Johnson, Doherty, etc. That's what I was referring to.

Archived