IGNORED

Small Runaround Car

Nogbad the Bad

Must be good for parking, petrol consumption and the new tax laws.

Don't even mind if it's a bit "girlie" as it'll be mostly driven by females anyway. In fact, maybe the girlier the better. :innocent06:

Anyone out there know their cars in a non macho sort of way? :dunno:

Most modern (late 90s on) cars are well built and do everything well. Differences are small which is why Top Gear car reviews tend to wibble on about things like air vents and cup holders.

You want something low mileage that has had a (reasonably) recent cam belt change.

For older cars (6 years +) you want something relatively common so parts are easy to get and cheap. Japanese cars, whist reliable and great when new, tend to be very expensive to fix as they get older as parts go out of stock so need to be ordered and imported.

I'd go for a Corsa or Fiesta but as long as you've heard of the car and you see a few about locally you won't go that far wrong.

I knew somebody with a Daihatsu Domino a few years ago. I'd never heard of it and he wished he hadn't either.

Had a Daewoo Matiz from new for the past 7 years, never any trouble, 4 door hatchback with foldable seats to take rubbish to the dump, with air con, electric windows and can probably pick them up for around £1000 for a W reg. Oh and very small so can fit into small parking spaces and drives like a dodgem car, the car is not low to the ground either so you can see what's going on. Goes 80 - 90 mph for motorway driving.

Would get another like a shot but I wont be replacing my car - I expect the car to keep going for 10 more years at least.

The most girly small car ever made.

I would suggest a Punto, i just picked up an R reg for 500 quid, 56k on teh clock bargin.

After having had a Punto and knowing a few others who did they are cheap for a reason. Electrics are a nightmare in them with short circuits happening everywhere. I used to have a problem indicating where it wouldn't let you break and indicate at the same time.

I'd go for a fiesta personally if you want it to be cheap. The 1.3 can be pretty nippy around town and they are like a mechano set so pretty cheap on the upkeep.

My first car was a Toyota Corolla which was very reliable although I don't know if they still make them!! I do find the Corsa reliable however they are prone to having problems with the ecu's which can cost over £600!! Mine went and my coil wrap which was over a grand in total. Vauxhalls are reliable though. :)

The most girly small car ever made.

It might well be but who exactly decides what car is girly and what isn't?

Does what it needs to. Gets you from A-B whilst not using tonnes of petrol.

I had a look at this for a friend the other day. Apparently the most reliable small car is the Ford KA by quite a distance and there is a surprising difference in reliability for most cars dependent on the year of manufacture despite models being the same. It's worth a read.

Interesting - the reliable car page is five years old - the latest review of the Ka in 2007 says "Running costs : High because it drinks lots of fuel."

Whereas the matiz 2008 reviewer says "Running costs : Incredibly cheap".

Yaris.

Not the new ones. A 54 reg will be nicely. T Spirt with all the toys on it and a pokey engine.

Bizarrely, that's exactly what we have as our second car, and it's very nice.

If it's tax etc. that you're worried about, then you can get a Fiat 500 brand new for under 8 grand and it's £35 a year road tax.

Oh, and it couldn't be girlier.

Thanks everyone, lots of useful information here - the negative points are helpful as well as the recommendations. :thumbsup:

Several seem to be equally suitable, so looks and mpg may end up being decisive.

As well as price of course. :noexpression:

Whatever you do, before you buy a car get car insurance quotes before. Some cheap ones are :

-Diamond

-Tesco

-Quinn Direct

Agree with the Punto comments, also if you want more then 2 people in the car, forget it. There is hardly any legroom in the back and very uncomfortable.

I've got a Peugeot 306 M reg 1.4. £300, lots of room, cheap to run and tax and quite nippy.

Archived