IGNORED

Jarred Up On A Wedesnday Night

NailseaRed

I was out on the beers last night and ended up in Reflex, when i went in i happened to see a group of City lads. Only one of them was a regular first teamer but he was the one who was most p!ssed (thought he would have a better taste in women too! :P )! I just wondered what people thought about this.

One minute I was thinking fair play to the lad he likes a drink like the rest of us, but then I was thinking we're 2 points off second place with 3 games to go, should one of our main players really be out getting totally mashed at such an important point in the season? All he has to do is wait a few weeks till the end of the season then he can do what he likes, but what good does it do heading into training this morning totally hung over, possibly even still p!ssed!

Do i have good reason to be a bit annoyed at this player or am i just worrying too much?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Normally I think it's fine for a player to go out. But at this stage of the season it's probably no the most sensible thing to do.

But why did you go in town last night? Wednesday nights are shocking

Wednesday night? no game until Saturday?

Like WB says it depend's really whether he still plays ok on Saturday.

I don't know for sure but I would guess that DW's probably quite old fashioned in this respect, he may see this as unwinding / taking your mind off the pressure etc. As for him looking legless, some people don't hold their drink too well if you saw me out on the cider or lager you might think I was knocking them back, I have always been lucky in that I get drunk cheaply (3,4 pints I'm better on bourbon though).

I wouldn't get that worked up at this stage myself, but if we lose on Saturday and he play's poorly then he's made himself a target in my opinion.

Personally if I wasn't at the top of my game and wanted to play at the highest level I wouldn't go out and get hammered at all i don't think. I'm not saying don't go out and have a few beers but is there any need to be downing drinks and getting absolutely mashed?

It seemed to be to be an act of disinterest in the rest of the season! I know deep down he is the kind of player that really wants us to go up, but you'd think he'd want to do all in his power to be in top shape for the remaining three games.

Just went to reflex at the end of the night cos it was the first place we passed that was open :D Went bowling if you really want to know :dunno: Was on pretty hot form too I must say :D Was pretty busy in there, was suprised cos as you say wednesday nights are probably one of the worst nights of the week to go out! But then again every night is a friday night to a student :(

Mabe he is feeling the stress of this season and needs to relax a bit. Hopefully he knows his limits and realises how long it takes himself to recover. A neighbour of mine, an old bloke (60+) regularly gets smashed out of his skull on Cider, most nights. Yet the next morning he is out for work at 6.30 and is completly recovered, (although still over the alchol limit for driving, but thats another matter, :@ ). Some people get drunk on half a shandy and get a terrible hangover!

Watch him on Saturday and post your comments, but I think with 2 full days to recover he hasn't done too much wrong.

Guest Andy C

I'd be interested to know which player this was, as I was walking past Edwards on Tuesday nigth and saw 3 or 4 City players sitting in the window having plenty of drinks. I walked back past about 2hours later and they were still in there! (this time with several women)

Could have been 2 nights out in a row for some of out players then?

I'd be interested to know which player this was, as I was walking past Edwards on Tuesday nigth and saw 3 or 4 City players sitting in the window having plenty of drinks. I walked back past about 2hours later and they were still in there! (this time with several women)

Could have been 2 nights out in a row for some of out players then?

I obviously dont want to name names, but it may well of been the same players out again.

The actions of the group of players said an awful lot, because the one who was p!ssed up was a player always guaranteed a first team slot, and i think no-one in the team should be thinking that, but it seems a lot of them do! he was almost thinking he was fine to get p!ssed cos if he has a few sh!t days in training it doesn't matter because he'll still start on saturday. Every player should be fighting for their place, and this is something DW needs to bring into the mentality of the team. It will push the players more and get that little bit of extra effort out of them.

This is always a difficult one isn't it and has been raised before I think.

From previous responses - Tuesday night is really last chance for players to go out and enjoy themselves (drinking) before a Sat game and as Weds is normally a day off training then that seems fair enough.

Weds night out on the town before a big game, questionable maybe? - from experience it is difficult to know for sure how much others have been drinking just by looking at them (so maybe this player had not had as much as you might think).

Whoever it was, hope if he is playing Sat that he has a damn good game! :D

Must be difficult for players when they can't go out in public without people recognising them (price they pay for having such a great job I guess) :dunno:

I agree with you , no place in the team is a right and should be earnt.

BUT which will have the greater effect, Danny plays a regular fist team player who show signs of 'wear' OR Danny drops that first teamer, maybe for the first time ! What shock waves is that going to send out? I don't think he is brave enough. Not only to disclipline the player, if needed, but to make shocking changes at this delicate stage of the season.

Guest Andy C
I obviously dont want to name names, but it may well of been the same players out again.

The actions of the group of players said an awful lot, because the one who was p!ssed up was a player always guaranteed a first team slot, and i think no-one in the team should be thinking that, but it seems a lot of them do! he was almost thinking he was fine to get p!ssed cos if he has a few sh!t days in training it doesn't matter because he'll still start on saturday. Every player should be fighting for their place, and this is something DW needs to bring into the mentality of the team. It will push the players more and get that little bit of extra effort out of them.

Well if it was the player i'm thinking off that is guaranteed a starting place, then he was definitely in Edwards on Tuesday.

Must be difficult for players when they can't go out in public without people recognising them (price they pay for having such a great job I guess) :D
Which is quite a good reason for not putting yourself in a position where questions like this can be asked, I'd say.

While it may or may not affect the player's performance on Saturday, the real question has to be the wisdom of going out drinking, where you know fans will see you.

Should we fail, then there will be questions asked, which could have been avoided, had the players thought about their behaviour a little more.

Why put yourself in a psoition where you give fans more ammunition, should we lose, for the sake of a few pints?

BUT which will have the greater effect, Danny plays a regular fist team player who show signs of 'wear' OR Danny drops that first teamer, maybe for the first time ! What shock waves is that going to send out? I don't think he is brave enough. Not only to disclipline the player, if needed, but to make shocking changes at this delicate stage of the season.
I don't agree with the bravery point as such but I do think that DW has to put some trust in the players. He can lay down guidelines but he can't hold hands, as I said before I think the player involved has to consider himself how it can look to the outsider.

Even if he was not overdoing it there will always be those who see him out and pass comment, and that will obviously get worse if their performances dip.

edit. Sorry Edson, I wrote this before I saw your post. I obviously agree 100%! :D

Which is quite a good reason for not putting yourself in a position where questions like this can be asked, I'd say.

Why put yourself in a psoition where you give fans more ammunition, should we lose, for the sake of a few pints?

Ok, I kind of take your point, but

Firstly, we don't know the circumstances or for sure the player was drinking too much etc etc. Too much of the comment on this forum is pure speculation, rumour and fiction (not having a go at NailseaRed, just making a general point)

Secondly, are you really suggesting they don't go out at all? What boring lives they would then have to lead!

As I said a difficult one and I agree an unwise decision by the player concerned.

Firstly, we don't know the circumstances or for sure the player was drinking too much etc etc. Too much of the comment on this forum is pure speculation, rumour and fiction (not having a go at NailseaRed, just making a general point)

Secondly, are you really suggesting they don't go out at all? What boring lives they would then have to lead!

As I said a difficult one and I agree an unwise decision by the player concerned.

yeah no offense taken Bobby, just saying what I saw and he was downing an awful lot of drinks and seemed to be at the bar ordering massive rounds every few minutes! And nobody dances that badly when they're sober! :D I do actually hope the night out helped him let his hair down and it may well have relaxed him better for the big match saturday and it was exactly what he needed, and he may be playing out of his skin as we speak in training! But still not too sure.

I know this has been said hundreds of times before but his body is kinda important for his job! you'd think he'd wanna give it the best possible chance of functioning better!

I saw ################ in there last Wednesday with his girlfriend!! Just seemed on a quiet night out and left early!! Wished him luck for the rest of the season and thanked him for the Plymouth game...seemed fairly approachable and a nice guy!!

Obviously they're all entitled to a few social beers in the week but not too many!!

No, I'm not saying they shouldn't go out at all. But, particularly at such a critical time of the season, they should think about how their actions could be interpreted, regardless of the innocence of their intentions.

My point, which you have agreed with, is that a little more wisdom from the player(s) concerned would prevent such posts as this and leave the player himself with less questions to answer, should we come unstuck.

I do agree with Tin I bet one of them ones #########. As for drinking I don't see the problem with having a few drinks as they can't on a friday night and if attached to a certain young lady may find it hard on a sat night. Two nights in a row would seem to be a bit of a problem if it was the same players and would be a concern with the big games ahead of us. As for non footballers drinking the night before work, I see where you are coming from but I can still do my job to the same standard if I have a hang over and will count for a lot of people on hear (just thought I can't drive to work though) but to play football with a hang over is a nightmare and something which I have tried and failed in.

I do agree with Tin I bet one of them ones ########. As for drinking I don't see the problem with having a few drinks as they can't on a friday night and if attached to a certain young lady may find it hard on a sat night. Two nights in a row would seem to be a bit of a problem if it was the same players and would be a concern with the big games ahead of us. As for non footballers drinking the night before work, I see where you are coming from but I can still do my job to the same standard if I have a hang over and will count for a lot of people on hear (just thought I can't drive to work though) but to play football with a hang over is a nightmare and something which I have tried and failed in.
I didn't see the same players that were seen out on the wednesday night so that isn't too much of a worry. If we had nothing left you play for i wouldn't care! but we have the biggest 3 games of the season coming up!

Still it's a difficult question, when I was in my twenties I spent years playing professionally in a band and I can hardly remember what I did due to excessive drinking and partying! Would I do anything different if I was in the players' position.
He seems to still play alright though i guess. Just think how good he could be if he cut out the drinking! It must have some kind of effect on things thuogh, he's only human after all and excessive drinking causes damage to your body! If i was him i'd just be looking back and thinking 'what if i'd cut out the drinking maybe i would of played in the premiership!'

Archived