IGNORED

Freekicks And Corners

Guest DanC

We had a countless amount of free kicks and corners tonight and very little came from any of them. I remember a couple of free kicks just going straight into there wall. We didn't look convincing at all from set pieces tonight and that needs to be improved on imo. With the amount of Free Kicks and corners we had we really should be creating something.

I'm not going to bash LJ but he seemed to run out of ideas. Someone else needs to be given a chance. If Trundle was playing I would select him as I think he is very dangerous from dead balls.

We had a countless amount of free kicks and corners tonight and very little came from any of them. I remember a couple of free kicks just going straight into there wall. We didn't look convincing at all from set pieces tonight and that needs to be improved on imo. With the amount of Free Kicks and corners we had we really should be creating something.

I'm not going to bash LJ but he seemed to run out of ideas. Someone else needs to be given a chance. If Trundle was playing I would select him as I think he is very dangerous from dead balls.

Somebody needs to tell McIndoe that you can actually take a direct freekick without having to have the ball knocked to the side and let the opposition close you down!

Not to mention the genius that is Lee Johnson who decided to leather the ball has hard as he could from 20 yards out in the hope he may find the net.

Surely we must have one in the squad with the ability and confidence to actually try and stick it in the top corner. If you rely on just hitting the ball has hard as you can with no real accuracy then you're leaving it in the lap of the gods!

The Mcindoe debarcle free kick just summed up the lack of quality in the first half!

I was going to come on and start a similar thread myself, so i may aswell post my opinion on here.

I feel that McCombe and elliot are soarly missed at the moment as they are really the only 2 players we have who provide an arial threat from set pieces. Every corner lumped in the box last night was easily dealt with by the birmingham defence or more often their goalkeeper. I was surprised that we didnt try any short corners to try to create an opening.

For the last 2 seasons we've looked dangerous from set pieces and you always feel there is a chance that something may happen, but it's not really working for us this year.

In all fairness the free kick that was blocked in the first half was almost identical to the one McIndoe scored against Palace just at the other end. I think it was one of those nights, we tried different things from free kicks and corners, one problem was the Taylor came for everything and caught it. Even corners that he had no right to win, coming through a crowded box to make a decent corner look poor.

I thought the same really last night, we got a fair few free kicks around the box to be greeted with great cheers but I kept asking 'who's actually going to do anything with it?'

We saw a good couple of imaginative free kicks in the play off games, what's happened to the likes of those?

In all fairness the free kick that was blocked in the first half was almost identical to the one McIndoe scored against Palace just at the other end. I think it was one of those nights, we tried different things from free kicks and corners, one problem was the Taylor came for everything and caught it. Even corners that he had no right to win, coming through a crowded box to make a decent corner look poor.

Agree, thought Taylor was awsome with his collection of all the crosses we threw in, don't think he dropped one. Also in my opinion he should get the credit for saving Ivans chance rather than blaming Ivan for missing it. Blotted his copy book with the blunder for Super Daps goal, but was also hillarious whilst having a go at the fan in the ateyo who called him a fat b~st@rd.............Brick Sh@thouse more like !!

I agree that some of our free kicks weren't the best thought out.Although if it wasn't for Taylor we would have at least scored that one he tipped over LJ shot in the first half I think. it did look starting toi get more tame when mcindoe's free kick was stopped by a quick foot. But lets not forget they had a quality defence and if it wasn't for Trundle's wonder goal they would of kept out us the whole game.we can only envy Birmingham's for taking there chances and scoring there second goal from there first free kick.

I do agree though that it would be good if we had other players who could take free kicks LJ was all right but ran out and had no one except adebola to aim for. Then Mcindoe had a all round not good game. Having said that I rmeeber last season we worked some excellent set peices and I think if stay calm we maybe able to remeber them or GJ will get them to practice them more in training.

I agree that some of our free kicks weren't the best thought out.Although if it wasn't for Taylor we would have at least scored that one he tipped over LJ shot in the first half I think.

I guess you're referring to the one in front of the grandstand in the second half which he looped in and Taylor comfortably push out for a corner. I actually thought that was a cross he got wrong but I could be wrong. Nevertheless that sort of effort was never going to beat a keeper of Maik Taylor's quality.

I agree entirely, Taylor had a great game and I thought we varied the dead ball taking pretty well . and at least we've stopped the formation line dancing at corners and free kicks

Our set plays need a bit of working on. No-one seems to be confident enough to have a go straight from the free-kick rather than tapping it to one side, another stopping the ball and then having a shot. Bring back Bell.

Our set plays need a bit of working on. No-one seems to be confident enough to have a go straight from the free-kick rather than tapping it to one side, another stopping the ball and then having a shot. Bring back Bell.
Just annoys me that some free kicks are from a perfect distance to bang it into a top corner yet we never seem capable of doing so.

I'm sure Trundle is quite a good free kick taker? :whistle2:

I think our set pieces arent quite as good because we miss the aerial ability in both Mcombe and Elliot. They could both get up and in front of the keeper.

Archived