IGNORED

Feeling Sorry For Maynard

Guest wheres your caravan??

I really feel sorry for the lad. Throughout the course of tonight game and saturdays game we have just pumped long balls towards him and expect him to be able to win the ball. It really annoys me that fans are getting on his back and calling for him to be put in the reserve. We are not playing to his strenghts but in fact the total opposite. Johnson got it all wrong tonight and Nicky Maynard is bein made the scapegoat!!

I don't think he's being made the scapegoat, certainly not by the majority anyway. In black and white, one goal in six games is piss poor, but as you said we haven't played to his strengths.

Actually, I'm not sure we've played to any of our strengths on a consistent basis so far. Width is something we should expect really, but in the last two home games particularly it's been non-existent, until the last 20-25minutes, by which time the damage is nigh-on irreversible. We don't stretch the play or drag defenders into positions they don't want to be in, but that's down to Maynard as much as anyone. It's a two-way street: we should try and utilise his obvious talents more, but he should also be contributing a lot more than he does. I don't think nowadays you can just be a fox-in-the-box without contributing elsewhere.

I thought on Saturday against Cardiff once Brokker came on we started to play to Maynard's strengths and for a brief period we saw what Maynard could do. He was then taken off. It really frustrates me when I see us pump long balls to him as he is never going to win them.

I really feel sorry for the lad. Throughout the course of tonight game and saturdays game we have just pumped long balls towards him and expect him to be able to win the ball. It really annoys me that fans are getting on his back and calling for him to be put in the reserve. We are not playing to his strenghts but in fact the total opposite. Johnson got it all wrong tonight and Nicky Maynard is bein made the scapegoat!!

Why sorry? He's paid a damn sight more than me or you and has contributed next to nothing. The long balls are directed to Dele I think, not Maynard. With our quality of distribution last night I dare say that a couple could have found their way to NM although intended for Dele. When he does receive the ball on the ground he fails to hold it and invariably loses it, this should be a strength of any striker, especially with his back to goal. He ain't cutting it for me and I think people are making excuses for him, £2.25 mill is a lot of wedge for what he's delivering at the moment.

I have to say, for once, I agree with you. FFS Maynard on the left?? I would drop Dele - Brooker looked much more lively on saturday and has done every time I have seen him.

Why sorry? He's paid a damn sight more than me or you and has contributed next to nothing. The long balls are directed to Dele I think, not Maynard. With our quality of distribution last night I dare say that a couple could have found their way to NM although intended for Dele. When he does receive the ball on the ground he fails to hold it and invariably loses it, this should be a strength of any striker, especially with his back to goal. He ain't cutting it for me and I think people are making excuses for him, £2.25 mill is a lot of wedge for what he's delivering at the moment.

it amazes me how naive some people are....

the simple fact is we are not playing to his strengths, you just need to look at the forwards we have signed in recent seasons, Jevons, Trundle and now Maynard, all forwards signed due to their goal scoring records at previous clubs, but for NONE of them it's worked out well at City to date and they became scapegoats with the fans.

It's a simple thing for all of them, they haven't been receiving decent service and none of the have reproduced their form to date at City, it seems a constant problem since Gary Johnson has been that he can't get goal scorers scoring goals due to the poor service too them, what's the point in constantly signing goal poachers such as these 3 when you don't play to any of their strengths and have given none of them service.

We have been succesful since GJ has been here, however the constant negative has been lack of service to forwards due to no supply from midfield, until that's resolved we are going to constantly have people moaning about "so and so" forward not delivering and not being good enough

it amazes me how naive some people are....

the simple fact is we are not playing to his strengths, you just need to look at the forwards we have signed in recent seasons, Jevons, Trundle and now Maynard, all forwards signed due to their goal scoring records at previous clubs, but for NONE of them it's worked out well at City to date and they became scapegoats with the fans.

It's a simple thing for all of them, they haven't been receiving decent service and none of the have reproduced their form to date at City, it seems a constant problem since Gary Johnson has been that he can't get goal scorers scoring goals due to the poor service too them, what's the point in constantly signing goal poachers such as these 3 when you don't play to any of their strengths and have given none of them service.

We have been succesful since GJ has been here, however the constant negative has been lack of service to forwards due to no supply from midfield, until that's resolved we are going to constantly have people moaning about "so and so" forward not delivering and not being good enough

So I am naive - ok, I'll accept that. Please enlighten me on NM's strengths? And, over 9 games are you also telling me that he has no service whatsoever?

We are missing drive from midfield. No one is getting beyond the front two. Macca and the right winger keep coming infield to help win the midfield battle so we end up with no width. No one is bossing it for us, driving on and giving the opposition back 4 something extra to think about, creating space for Maynard to run into. Hopefully the imminent return of Marvin Elliot will provide that, but i still maintain he and Nick Carle had the makings of the perfect partnership.

We are missing drive from midfield. No one is getting beyond the front two. Macca and the right winger keep coming infield to help win the midfield battle so we end up with no width. No one is bossing it for us, driving on and giving the opposition back 4 something extra to think about, creating space for Maynard to run into. Hopefully the imminent return of Marvin Elliot will provide that, but i still maintain he and Nick Carle had the makings of the perfect partnership.

David Noble, remember him?

I thought on Saturday against Cardiff once Brokker came on we started to play to Maynard's strengths and for a brief period we saw what Maynard could do. He was then taken off. It really frustrates me when I see us pump long balls to him as he is never going to win them.

That just about sums it up for me.

I don't think he has really affected any of the eight games he has played and that includes Peterborough and Crewe. Pity we can't play Royal Antwerp every week.

There is a lot to be said though for the "service" argument though. NM will score when he is 6-10 yards from goal and we just don't get the ball into that spot often enough. Hitting balls from the back into that spot is relatively easy to defend but crosses from the byeline..........

yep I pretty much feel sorry for Maynard also.You join a new bigger team and then on your debt at friendly you get it all your way ball played on the floor score a hatrick show the fans and new clubmates what you can do. Then as soon as the season starts city play just like they had last season Just giving to Dele exspecting him to work a wonder or flick it somewhere, espcially when last night there was two men on him most of the night.

Then there is no width and then last night eventually when you get the ball where u want it u have two players around you . I felt it was passed to him rather than sproule because he's hardly touched the ball.If dele has seen sproule he would of crosed it low and thats just what Maynard wants.

I think it's better to not start maynard if we keep playing as we do imagine what you feel like not getting any straight through balls because he can't play off the last man because it's all flick on's and he just ends up playing too deep because of this.

Maynard has so far shown nothing to suggest he is worth the money the club paid for him. He hasn't shown his pace or finishing that got him the move here. I hope it starts to change rather than us having another low-scoring Striker in the squad.

Maynard has so far shown nothing to suggest he is worth the money the club paid for him. He hasn't shown his pace or finishing that got him the move here. I hope it starts to change rather than us having another low-scoring Striker in the squad.

your right........I think Crewe have bumped us and sold us his twin brother Micky Maynard.

Have you ever consulted the doctor regarding depression?

Got to say, I've been very disappointed with Nicky Maynard.

You can go on about playing to his strengths etc, but in all honesty, he looks way way out of his depth at the moment. He's lightweight, struggles to get passes away, and is not creating any opportunities for himself.

We created a fair few opportunities in the second half against Birmingham, opportunities which I think he should have been sniffing around. Apart from against Royal Antwerp, I have not seen anything substantial in our £2.25 million "fox in the box" yet.

I'm sure he'll get goals eventually. Then again, I think any of our forwards would get goals if they played enough games. For me, Its just a question of how long City can afford to play with 10 men.

Got to say, I've been very disappointed with Nicky Maynard.

You can go on about playing to his strengths etc, but in all honesty, he looks way way out of his depth at the moment. He's lightweight, struggles to get passes away, and is not creating any opportunities for himself.

We created a fair few opportunities in the second half against Birmingham, opportunities which I think he should have been sniffing around. Apart from against Royal Antwerp, I have not seen anything substantial in our £2.25 million "fox in the box" yet.

I'm sure he'll get goals eventually. Then again, I think any of our forwards would get goals if they played enough games. For me, Its just a question of how long City can afford to play with 10 men.

So you werent at the cardiff game when he picked up the ball on the edge of th box from a throw in, beat two men and cannoned a shot off of the crossbar!!!!

Because the Royal Antwerp game was a friendly, city played with the freedom to use the width of the pitch. This played into the hands of NM by creating more space infield and a better supply.

During league matches GJ appears to be unsure about the ability of our midfield to cope with a decent level of play and so he keeps asking for the wide men to tuck in and assist the midfield. This has the effect of stangling the game for both sides resulting in draws or one goal margins.

Do we want tight games or the chance of wining or losing games with loads of goals?

So I am naive - ok, I'll accept that. Please enlighten me on NM's strengths? And, over 9 games are you also telling me that he has no service whatsoever?

I agree but I think its abit of both, the team arent creating enough and Maynard is doing enough. I'm not saying that in the long run he wont prove to be a good signing but the fact of the matter is, he is not coping. He surrenders posession so easily that he sometimes looks like a teenager playing adult football. This is either due to a first touch which isnt quite good enough or his complete lack of strength and balance.

From what ive seen his strengths are in the 18 yard box and only in the 18 yard box - I know this is what GJ signed him for but if we arent putting the ball in the box then whats the point in him playing because he does very little else!! IMO even just a goalscorer has to offer something extra else we might aswell be playing with 10 men half the time. I bet Dele Adebola feels like he's playing up front by himself!!!

We either need to start playing with width and start putting balls in the box (And by that I don't mean crosses from near the half way line!!) or drop Maynard.

So you werent at the cardiff game when he picked up the ball on the edge of th box from a throw in, beat two men and cannoned a shot off of the crossbar!!!!

:rofl2br: Yeah, i was at the Cardiff game. were you? Hmmm, not sure you could say he beat 2 men and cannoned a shot off the crossbar like he was Christiano Ronaldo. :rofl2br: More like took a lucky shot at goal which almost went in. Lets not make it out to be something more than what it was.

Were you at blackpool when he also missed an open goal?

Whats your point?

:rofl2br: Yeah, i was at the Cardiff game. were you? Hmmm, not sure you could say he beat 2 men and cannoned a shot off the crossbar like he was Christiano Ronaldo. :rofl2br: More like took a lucky shot at goal which almost went in. Lets not make it out to be something more than what it was.

Were you at blackpool when he also missed an open goal?

Whats your point?

lucky?? give me abreak you idiot!! how am i making it out to be more than it was? He DID beat two men and out of nothing he DELIBERATLY shot at goal which on another day would have gone in.

yes i was at blackpool and he should have scored. but iy happens to everyone!

Give the lad a break!!

lucky?? give me abreak you idiot!! how am i making it out to be more than it was? He DID beat two men and out of nothing he DELIBERATLY shot at goal which on another day would have gone in.

yes i was at blackpool and he should have scored. but iy happens to everyone!

Give the lad a break!!

:handbags: Did you even read my original post?

Get back to your caravan and learn to read before calling people idiots.

I agree but I think its abit of both, the team arent creating enough and Maynard is doing enough. I'm not saying that in the long run he wont prove to be a good signing but the fact of the matter is, he is not coping. He surrenders posession so easily that he sometimes looks like a teenager playing adult football. This is either due to a first touch which isnt quite good enough or his complete lack of strength and balance.

From what ive seen his strengths are in the 18 yard box and only in the 18 yard box - I know this is what GJ signed him for but if we arent putting the ball in the box then whats the point in him playing because he does very little else!! IMO even just a goalscorer has to offer something extra else we might aswell be playing with 10 men half the time. I bet Dele Adebola feels like he's playing up front by himself!!!

We either need to start playing with width and start putting balls in the box (And by that I don't mean crosses from near the half way line!!) or drop Maynard.

Fully agree, maynard cannot be happy with the service he has been given, but he must also be dissapionted with how he has been playing, poor control, falling over all the time. he does look like a little boy playing a mans game.

OOPs sorry for doubting someone, i know your not allowed to be honest in here.

Archived