IGNORED

Weale For An Extended Run In The Team?

Big Red Rich

I started watching City in '92. In that time I think I remember Mike Stowell subbed for Phillips at Huddersfield and Tinman having to go in goal at Chesterfield. Apart from that I cant really remember many other times we've needed to sub a keeper. Now we have Bass who I reckon must have been subbed at least 5 times now due to injury. Now either he is really injury prone or trying to cover up injuries and it is costing us. Last night we wasted a sub as Bass had to go off.

Weale has worked very hard to get himself back to full fitness and whilst I rate Basso highly, I believe that Weale is a better allround goalkeeper. His kicking is much better, I think he communicates better and although Bass is a better shot stopper surely now is the time to back Weale and reward him with a stint. He has never let us down and its unfair to him to ask him to keep performing in place of Bass to be replaced as soon as Adriano is fit.

Weale save last night towards the end was superb..........

Think he deserves a run in the team now, i don't know what was wrong with Basso last night. He didn't look uncomfortable, it must have been a slight strain as he looked comfortable walking off. Weale has impressed whenever he's had to come in and deseerves a run in the team. Basso is one hell of a shot stopper as we saw at Coventry but as you say, Weale is probably a better all-rounder.

GJ clearly favours Basso and always replaces Weale at the first opportunity.

I think they're of a very high but even standard and would pick the guy who doesn't get hurt constantly who's also 7 years younger.

Agreed. Basso is a legend but this is a harsh world and he is clearly getting injured quite often. A bearable situation if you do not have an adequate replacement but Weale is a good keeper with a first class attitude. Give him a run.

GJ clearly favours Basso and always replaces Weale at the first opportunity.

I think they're of a very high but even standard and would pick the guy who doesn't get hurt constantly who's also 7 years younger.

I don't think he will this time. I think Basso will now find it hard to regain his place as he will be encouraged to get fully fit and focused as he certainly doesn't seem like the player that excelled last season.

If Weale cannot keep hold of his place for a run now then that will put serious doubts in his head too I believe.

If Weale cannot keep hold of his place for a run now then that will put serious doubts in his head too I believe.

He'll just leave. And fair enough.

I'm sorry, I must of missed Basso saving us a million times with point blank saves.

Did I also imagine Basso saving our skins more than once at Cardiff? One of them being one of the best saves I've ever seen.

No you didn't.

You think it's a Basso vs Weale thing where we dislike Basso..it's not that. I just see two keepers of even standard, and when one of them plays well and gets dropped repeatedly like Weale does, it seems wrong from a squad motivational point of view.

When someone gets the opportunity and takes it, they shouldn't get dropped. No matter who it is or who it's for. It really makes a mockery of squad competition and Gary's "they're both number 1" comments.

I'm sorry, I must of missed Basso saving us a million times with point blank saves.

Did I also imagine Basso saving our skins more than once at Cardiff? One of them being one of the best saves I've ever seen.

Yes, Basso has saved us on many occasions, but whose to say that Weale wouldn't have saved us also. Plus, I can remember a few times where Basso's saves have come from his own mistakes. Perhaps Weale wouldnt have made the initial mistake?

Basso was solid on Saturday and kept us in the game. However, one of the best saves you've ever seen? The fact that I don't know which save your on about means that we don't share the same opinion on that?!! Which save do you mean?

This isn't a slag Basso post, far from it. However, I think now is the time to give Weale a run in the side. Perhaps Basso will be an even better 'keeper if/when he regains his place??

I didn't see cardiff or coventry so I can't comment but I have seen 4 games this season and Basso has had to be replaced in 2 of them. I'll support a fit and focused Basso everytime, I'm a great fan of him and what he brings to the team.

However, Weale has progressed so well that he is a serious challenge for the position and his kicking is much smoother and more accutate. It would be very harsh on this occasion for him to have to give up his place. What it comes down to is that we have 2 very good keepers, just one is fitter than the other at the moment it seems and so should keep the place.

I love Basso to bits. Every since I saw him throw the ball at a cheltenham forwards feet to miss an open goal that moment I thought he was crap. Since that moment I think he has been unbealivable for us. Would have been mid table if It wasnt for him last season. But as much as I love Basso to bits I am starting to get fed up of him going off injured as often as he does. Last season Weale did no wrong when he deputised. This season he has done even better. In fact Weale didnt deserve to lose his place when Basso became fit. Now is the time to give Weale a run in the team while Basso proves his fitness. I believe his injury cost us dearly yesterday. A fully fit Basso would have saved Jerome shot. Weale to start on saturday and its up to Basso to win his place back and only if Weale isn't performing well not if Basso make himself available again shouldnt be an instant choice anymore!! We could use 3 subs tactically not to sub are keeper!!

In my opinion, Weale has finally become the better keeper at the gate. Being deputy to Basso is a good thing in a way - he must've learned so much from Basso to improve his all round game and from what I've read in the Programs I think Weale is a top proffesional who has done exceptionally well for this club biding his time waiting for his chance to come in and be number 1.

This surely is it now.

With no dis-respect to Basso who has been the best keeper here since when my dad was watching the funky Gibson play Weale is younger, a bigger bloke and at times a more dominant force in the box. Without also being dis-respectful to those odler than myself, injuries do take longer to heal as the years add on and they also become easier to do or more niggly and won't leave you alone - as we are seeing with Basso.

Let's weigh up who is better:

Shot Stopping: Probably Basso but Weale is young so can still get even better

Distribution: Weale throwing and kicking looks a lot better

Commanding the area: Weale just edges this one

Let's give him a chance. I think he could go on to great things.

Archived