IGNORED

Weales Got No Chance

compostcorner

it seems to me that no matter how well chris weale does he will never be the number one goalkeeper at bristol city. if he plays against doncaster and does well he will still be dropped for the next game if basso is fit. i have no preference over the two of them, but chris weale is better than being a permanent number two. over the last two seasons he has proved to be a very good goalkeeper, and whenever he plays he never lets anybody down, but sir gary would rather play a half injured basso than a fully fit weale. it used to be in football if you got the shirt its yours to lose, and weales done nothing to lose the shirt. if i was chris weale i would be asking for a transfer as i know i"ve got no chance at bristol city, and let henderson be the number two, which at this stage of his career would also be a good move. fair play to basso for keeping his standards high, but his place in the team is under no threat, he knows it and can relax.

I can see what you`re saying. It does seem the case that whatever Weale does he still can`t be the regualar No.1. But to say he`s got no chance is something i disagree with. The fact he`s pushed Basso so hard to be 1st choice goalkeeper and GJ thinks so highly of him shows he has a chance to be 1st choice. Also, with Basso being 33, he may not have many more years as No.1 (though i know keepers peak in their early to mid thirties anyway). Weale is only 26, and has plenty of time to establish himself as the No.1.

it seems to me that no matter how well chris weale does he will never be the number one goalkeeper at bristol city. if he plays against doncaster and does well he will still be dropped for the next game if basso is fit. i have no preference over the two of them, but chris weale is better than being a permanent number two. over the last two seasons he has proved to be a very good goalkeeper, and whenever he plays he never lets anybody down, but sir gary would rather play a half injured basso than a fully fit weale. it used to be in football if you got the shirt its yours to lose, and weales done nothing to lose the shirt. if i was chris weale i would be asking for a transfer as i know i"ve got no chance at bristol city, and let henderson be the number two, which at this stage of his career would also be a good move. fair play to basso for keeping his standards high, but his place in the team is under no threat, he knows it and can relax.

:tongue: In our last 2 games the opposing keeper as won the man of the match. So going on that Weale should have a blinder.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but I think Basso wouldn't sit on the bench and be as patient as Weale, therefore that is why Basso starts whenever he is fit. Weale is as good a keeper as Basso so I think whoever is on form should be in between the sticks. I may be wrong but i doubt Basso would wait for his chance like Weale has...

Weale let in a scrappy goal against Man C last season and was dropped, let in a scrappy goal against Derby as well..

Basso is number one without doubt but I expect Weale to play 10-15 games this season.

His save on Owusu-Abeyies shot (yes, can only be pronounced in Swedish) was first class.

Kalmar FF, on 1/10 of the budget of City, beat Feeynoord (a) yesterday, 1-0, by the way ; )

Three brothers Elm in the team. Victor, who scored, signed on a free for for Heerenveen the other week. Rasmus, who passed for the goal, is three years younger. Got the message?

Weale deserves his chance now, the reason he may (I don't personally think he did) let in scrappy goals is because he hasn't had a run in the first team to gain that extra sharpness Basso may have had over him.

If we are looking to the future now to build a side to enter and stay in the premier league Weale is the answer.

If we are happy to consolidate this season then the two must fight for the shirt and the in form or non injured keeper is the one who logically should play

Basso isn't 100% fit and has barely trained (if at all) since the Brum game, whether he is "nearly fit" or not,

Weale IS 100% fit and should play.

Personally I never mind whether Basso or Weale is played (provided they are fully fit obviously) as I think we are very fortunate to have two great keepers at the Club. We may well have another in Henderson, but we haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement call.

Adriano has been fantastic for us with some truly remarkable instinctive keeping - the save in the 2-0 win over Yeovil in the promotion season springs immediately to mind, but there have been many many more and he has won us a great deal more points than he has lost us.

However, I feel we often have our hearts in our mouths when Adriano plays. A brilliant save can be countered by a worrying spill. His communication with the back four sometimes seems suspect (and I'm not talking language difficulties). His kicking isn't great - overheard a fellow fan say "Basso, the only Brazilian I know of who can't kick a ball". It's improved since that comment and I know his calf injury can't have helped on Tuesday.

Chris always seems assured and embues confidence. His great save at the end against Brum reinforces that, I think.

Happy with either of them to be honest.

• Admin
I'm probably going to get shot down for this but I think Basso wouldn't sit on the bench and be as patient as Weale, therefore that is why Basso starts whenever he is fit. Weale is as good a keeper as Basso so I think whoever is on form should be in between the sticks. I may be wrong but i doubt Basso would wait for his chance like Weale has...

I agree with all of that...

Basso isn't 100% fit and has barely trained (if at all) since the Brum game, whether he is "nearly fit" or not,

Weale IS 100% fit and should play.

Personally I never mind whether Basso or Weale is played (provided they are fully fit obviously) as I think we are very fortunate to have two great keepers at the Club. We may well have another in Henderson, but we haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement call.

Adriano has been fantastic for us with some truly remarkable instinctive keeping - the save in the 2-0 win over Yeovil in the promotion season springs immediately to mind, but there have been many many more and he has won us a great deal more points than he has lost us.

However, I feel we often have our hearts in our mouths when Adriano plays. A brilliant save can be countered by a worrying spill. His communication with the back four sometimes seems suspect (and I'm not talking language difficulties). His kicking isn't great - overheard a fellow fan say "Basso, the only Brazilian I know of who can't kick a ball". It's improved since that comment and I know his calf injury can't have helped on Tuesday.

Chris always seems assured and embues confidence. His great save at the end against Brum reinforces that, I think.

Happy with either of them to be honest.

Do you mean the one he caught sprawling to his left in mid-air? The glory associated with that, and Basso in general, is catching the ball where it seems other keepers wouldn't. While I happen to agree with that sentiment, it doesn't mean Basso is immune to criticism. Most 'keepers would have saved that effort and, if I'm honest, I'd be disappointed if a lot of Championship-level goalkeepers hadn't saved a lot of the efforts he's had to contend with.

Weale will wait for his chance and eventually he will be our number one, at least as long (and possible longer) as Gary Johnson is in charge.

Simple.

Weale will wait for his chance and eventually he will be our number one, at least as long (and possible longer) as Gary Johnson is in charge.

Simple.

He'll leave if he's not number one at the end of the season.

Simple.

Waaay to good to be rotting in our reserves or on the bench. He knows it, hence signing 1 last one year deal at the start of the season.

I seem to remember Basso waiting quite a while to be given a chance when Phillips was still the 1st choice keeper, but he got his head down and got on with it. Seems to have a strong character and I'm sure he'd be willing to again do his time on the bench if Weale is playing well.

His kicking is so much better, even under presure. Maybe its me but that might rub off on the back 4 who seem far more confident to knock it back to him when they have the ball with attackers bearing down on them.

His kicking is so much better, even under presure. Maybe its me but that might rub off on the back 4 who seem far more confident to knock it back to him when they have the ball with attackers bearing down on them.

That's exactly what i came in to say. His kicking is excellent and coupled with some brilliant saves i very much hope he would start against Wolves even if Basso is fit.

Weale I think deserves his chance. He's played 140minutes or something in the last two games and has been as good as Basso at least. We've not seen much of him but he can do it and has seven years on Basso too.

Weale was top class today. I remember the ball pinging about in the penalty area and he made a world class double stop.

His kicking is not only huge but also accurate meaning Adebola was able to flick it on much easier.

We can't turn on Basso though he has been a great servant to the club and has been one of the best keepers in the league. Hopefully Weale can now acomplish this.

WEALE FOR ENGLAND!

Archived