IGNORED

Liam Fontaine

reg

He's quality. Great on the ball, good footballing brain, top defender.

Louis is our best all round defender, but Liam is my preferred partner for him. I know McCombe offers more of a goal threat at set pieces, and is a great "first ball" defender - but Liam has more class, is quicker, more agile and reads the game very well.

Beat me to making a thread about him. Defenders don't always get the recognition as they're not setting up or scoring the goals but Fontaine is definately looking good right now. Still only 22, got a good decade ahead of him yet. Lots of time to keep on improving and no better player for him to be playing alongside to help him in doing that.

I liked the look of LF as soon as I saw him play because he always looks so comfortable on the ball - something that's really good to have in a centre half. It's great we have two centre-halves like that, rather than two who are just your average blood-and-thunder Terry Butcher-wannabes!

Sometimes I get the feeling he still looks a bit uncertain of himself on the pitch, but perhaps that's just experience. It's not to say I don't rate him highly and think he's done very well. I'd prefer to have him in the team instead of JM because he's more mobile. However, it's good to have three quality centre-halves.

I think LF can become a Premier League player and I was surprised Fulham let him go so easily.

Archived