IGNORED

Johnson+adebola Moaners.doubters

Red Robin

Well what is your reaction after todays fine result.

Both players were imence today,best players on the pitch by a mile for us.

Dele was a handfull from start to finish he battled,passed,held up the ball,layed the ball of from start to finish,Donny could not handle him.

Lee was running the show in the middle and battled for everything.

Guest wheres your caravan??

Adebola played well today!

But i would rather see Trundle and Maynard given a go, as Maynard and Adebola don't really play as a partnership IMO!

But well played today Dele!

Dele was a handfull from start to finish he battled,passed,held up the ball,layed the ball of from start to finish,Donny could not handle him.

Dele was great today, one of the best games i have seen him play for a while.

LG was great too, he seemed to be releasing balls a lot faster now, i hope this is something that GJ has said to him, its much better.

We had a couple of people behind us moaning about LJ again today.

"Oh for godsake Johnson!"

"Where was Johnson!?"

"Wonder if he'll take his son off for once, doubt it!"

Had to turn round and have a moan back about how he's one of our better players and he's in the team for a reason not just because he's GJ's son.

Stupid people. Good to see him set up McIndoe's second so turned around and asked them who it was that passed Macca the ball.

LJ played a lot better today, but I didnt think Adebola was owt special, personally. He does what he does, no more, no less.

Sorry.

and plenty STILL moaned about the team. Why the fk do these people bother going to the game FFS??????

Totally agree. May aswell be armchair fans and moan behind there tv's, where nobody can hear.

Support the team!

Fontaine was the best player today...

solid at the back won good headers and looked like an established centre half

Lee Johnson did very well

it is a tad annoying to see Mcallister hitting a looonnng ball to Adebola but I can't argue with a 4-1 win so yeah I suppose he did well.

Guest wheres your caravan??
Johnson was great today - my MoM, followed VERY closely by Skuse(edit - and Fonts)-who was exceelent even at RB. Dele also had another very good solid game.

To those who suggest a Trundle /Maynard partnership - (and as a Trundle fan) - what did he do today?

Trundle had a bad 20 minutes!

IMO Trundle would work better with Maynard as Trundle has the ability to play perfect through balls and also has the ability to do something very special!

I just feel he and Maynard would work better than Adebola and Maynard!

LJ did play well today, however doing it constantly over the course of a season is what's needed, not 1 performance in 4/5, still doesn't look like he'll ever score though

I guess you are not including either of the two freekicks he hit tuesday night, one of which was only deflected wide by a Birmingham player's heel, the other which forced Taylor in good one handed save?

Plus I'd suggest that two good performances in a week consitutes a decent level of consistancy. It's better than other members of the squad who don't get half the flak Johnson does.

Although many of your past observations RE his performances are vaild I get the feeling you are judging him to a higher standard than other players, as in two games this week he's done as much as anyone for the team, yet you still suggest his contirbution is suspect.

It seems a little blinkered is all.

I guess you are not including either of the two freekicks he hit tuesday night, one of which was only deflected wide by a Birmingham player's heel, the other which forced Taylor in good one handed save?

Plus I'd suggest that two good performances in a week consitutes a decent level of consistancy. It's better than other members of the squad who don't get half the flak Johnson does.

Although many of your past observations RE his performances are vaild I get the feeling you are judging him to a higher standard than other players, as in two games this week he's done as much as anyone for the team, yet you still suggest his contirbution is suspect.

It seems a little blinkered is all.

I was including both free kick, the first one was just blasted into the wall and put wide, as for the 2nd one, in the 2nd half, well....any keeper who let that past him would be VERY disapointed, it was more of a curling pass to the keeper than a shot, which was easily caught by Taylor.

That said, he did get his first assist of the season today, finally

Leave aside Adebola, I've never been a critic of his, he gives it 100% every game and frankly has deserved better in support, in terms of movement off the ball, from Maynard.

As for LJ however, I think your need to post this only goes to prove the justification of some of the comments made by many people previously. Namely, cant/wont tackle, passing is always sideways or backwards, rarely influences a game other than dead balls, often gives the ball away if attempting a forward pass, never scores.

However. I genuinely made him man of the match for both Birmingham and Doncaster games. I've said before I believe Lee has the ability to influence the game more than he has shown, in my view there are signs this season he is at last doing it.

My only remaining criticism of LJ, something I've noticed all of last season, is the lack of tracking back. When a City attack breaks down, LJ is often deeper than most of the team, by the time the opposition counter-attack has ended, he is usually furthest from our goal other than our attackers.

But overall, very impressed last few games, hope he can keep it up.

I think LJ plays in the most important position on the pitch for us, and has the ball more than anyone else -that's why his performances are questioned more often than others.

Lets hope he can keep it up - he said himself he felt he only played well in 15-20 games last season.

Johnson was good, always available and on the move, prompting and switching the play - and less misplaced passes than sometimes (not a big issue as given the number/type of passes he attempts a few bound to go astray). Also thought he made a few tackles - it's not his natural game to be fair - and covered the full-backs when they went forward.

Adebola also good - strong and difficult to knock off the ball, more pace than you'd expect from someone of his build. Only prob with him is the other players see him up there and tend to resort to long high balls which they were doing f/half. No need as he is happy to have the ball into his feet /body and can retain the ball and build. We are much better playing through the midfield and involving the wingers higher up the field. I'd like to see more whipped crosses into the box for Dele to attack.

Other good perfromers were Skuse, Elliott, McIndoe and Weale in my view - although lots of good stuff throughout the team s/half.

Johnson was good, always available and on the move, prompting and switching the play - and less misplaced passes than sometimes (not a big issue as given the number/type of passes he attempts a few bound to go astray). Also thought he made a few tackles - it's not his natural game to be fair - and covered the full-backs when they went forward.

Adebola also good - strong and difficult to knock off the ball, more pace than you'd expect from someone of his build. Only prob with him is the other players see him up there and tend to resort to long high balls which they were doing f/half. No need as he is happy to have the ball into his feet /body and can retain the ball and build. We are much better playing through the midfield and involving the wingers higher up the field. I'd like to see more whipped crosses into the box for Dele to attack.

Other good perfromers were Skuse, Elliott, McIndoe and Weale in my view - although lots of good stuff throughout the team s/half.

I remember last seasoin when LJ was injured,we ended up struggling through the middle,many many fans were willing him to hurry up with his injury and get back in the side.

Must say when LJ is playing and playing well,city are a more effective team going forward.

My view a very important player in the middle for us,hiss passing is a joy to watch,yes mistakes will be made,however that is likely as he sees so much of the ball.

My observation on LJ and his position is this: whenever one of his team mates is in trouble, especially in defence, everyone looks to pass it to LJ. LJ always seems to be in a position to receive the ball, and has a high percentage of completing passes from these defensive situations.

The fact that all the team members want to give the ball to LJ, and are confident in LJ's play, means that we don't punt the ball away - instead we retain possession and can progress with our passing game. LJ keeps things ticking over - spreads the ball around the pitch, and provides us with a tactical edge.

If LJ was poor then I doubt he'd be the one that all the team wants to pass to. He's very consistent and makes us play the way we do... what would people prefer? A quality passing game based on possession and movement, or a physical long ball game?

Very glad Marvin is back - he's our best player by a mile - and will allow LJ further licence to control and dictate the pace of the game.

As for alternatives - yes, I'm sure that Gavin Williams could do a very good job alongside Marvin. Noble seems best in a 5 man midfield - needs to prove fitness. Skuse is Marvin's understudy (maybe Orr's short term replacement). And for those wishing Carle was back here - he was substituted yesterday after 60 minutes for a team that has won only once all season.

LJ is doing a good job at the moment.

My observation on LJ and his position is this: whenever one of his team mates is in trouble, especially in defence, everyone looks to pass it to LJ. LJ always seems to be in a position to receive the ball, and has a high percentage of completing passes from these defensive situations.

The fact that all the team members want to give the ball to LJ, and are confident in LJ's play, means that we don't punt the ball away - instead we retain possession and can progress with our passing game. LJ keeps things ticking over - spreads the ball around the pitch, and provides us with a tactical edge.

If LJ was poor then I doubt he'd be the one that all the team wants to pass to. He's very consistent and makes us play the way we do... what would people prefer? A quality passing game based on possession and movement, or a physical long ball game?

Very glad Marvin is back - he's our best player by a mile - and will allow LJ further licence to control and dictate the pace of the game.

As for alternatives - yes, I'm sure that Gavin Williams could do a very good job alongside Marvin. Noble seems best in a 5 man midfield - needs to prove fitness. Skuse is Marvin's understudy (maybe Orr's short term replacement). And for those wishing Carle was back here - he was substituted yesterday after 60 minutes for a team that has won only once all season.

LJ is doing a good job at the moment.

I remain unconvinced.

The game changed imeauserably with the intoduction of Elliott.

First half was more of the same.

I qualify my opinion by stating that Johnson does what he is effective at very well providing an outlet for the back four, but my issue continues to be that his influence of the game overall is limited. There is very little threat going forward and with out the ball he does not work hard enough. I honestly do not think he adds anything that several other squad memebers could do and add beyound his contribution.

Having said that he made himself available and looks for the ball when ever City are in possession. But I would need to be convinced that he would have influenced the game enough to have won us the three points second half without the introduction of Elliott, which provided the much need engine room in midfield.

The final substituation also illustrated the problem. It is clear that Williams wants to play in the centre of midfield he was every where but the wide right position he replaced when Sproule came off, who had a very effective game in my view. Surely the natural like for like was to give Johnson a rest but again a player was played out of position. I would very much like to see Williams given a chance next to Elliott but I think this extremely unlikely.

I will get slated for my views, but before I get the routine "go and watch the gas" nonsence. I would state that I get behind the team at all the games I go to and agree that indiscriminate barracking of players is uncalled for and unhelpful. But it reamins the point that all players are not beyound secrutiny both praise worthy and critical after the final whistle.

It has taken me a while to come to this conclusion, but i believe that people moan about these two players, not because of their ability, but because of the type of players they are. You cannot deny that they both put in 100% most games and that they are very good at what they do.

In the case of Johnson, most people see Marvin Elliott as our main defensive midfielder as he is a ball winning, all action midfielder. Because of this they think Johnson should be our Attacking midfielder who should be scoring 10+ goals a season and linking the ball between midfield and attack alot more than he does. Lee Johnson is a defensive midfielder. He does an adequate job in this role but i like alot of others would rather see Elliott in the middle with a more attacking, ball carrying, goals scoring midfielder like Nick Carle was hopefully going to be for us this season.

I think the same applies with Adebola. A very good target man who is a pain in the arse to mark. Gives the defenders a nightmare. He isn't going to skin anyone but can batter them to death. Due to Dele's stature and lack of pace, we do at times find ourselves playing hoofball and it very very rarely seems to work. Anyone at the Birmingham game will back me up there. As with Emile Heskey for England, neither are going to score shed loads of goals, and some times they may never look like scoring. It is the constant bulliying of the opposition's centre halfs, holding the ball up to bring the midfielders into the attacks and the space that they create for their strike partners that are invaluable to the team. Alot of people don't see this and just see them as slow lazy strikers. Like many other fans, i would love to see us have a lightning quick striker but unfortunately we don't have one so we have to appreciate that this is the way Gary Johnson wishes to play. It is Gary Johnson who brings the players in and instructs them to play the way they play. If you are doubting Lee Johnson and Dele Adebola then you are doubting Gary Johnson's managerial decisions, as the players are playing the way they always play, wherever they have played and are doing a very good job of it. Keep up the good work lads and we will get to the promised land eventually.

Johnson did play better on Saturday but I think you're getting carried away with your descriptions regarding his efforts against Brum in the previous match.

The first free kick was crap. just hit the ball has hard has he could. Why I think most of us on here could managed that!

The second was a floated cross/shot which Taylor comfortably pushed over for a corner.

Neither were good or clever free kicks.

Archived