IGNORED

Lj For Scotland?

BITW

Bristol City midfielder Lee Johnson is eyeing a potential call-up to the Scotland national team, after reports suggesting George Burley is hunting new blood.

The 27-year-old was an integral part of the Robins side which narrowly missed out on a place in the Premier League last term, while he has also helped the club make an impressive start to the new campaign.

The former Hearts player now has his sights set on international accolades and admits he would love to represent his country having hoped for such an honour since he started out at Watford's academy.

Scouts

"I'd love to play for Scotland, as I'm half Scottish with all my mum's side of the family from north of the border and I've got a lot of family up in Glasgow," Johnson told skysports.com.

"That was the reason I went up to Hearts really, to try and break into the national side. If I keep playing well then hopefully I'll get a chance, even if it's only with the B side, or if someone pulls out with an injury.

"I just need to concentrate on playing to the best of my ability on the pitch and if George Burley, Terry Butcher or any of their scouts come to see me then hopefully I'll chuck my name in the hat with what they see."

Progression

Bristol City have got two other players linked with a call-up, with Michael McIndoe and Jamie McAllister also attracting the attention of George Burley and Johnson believes the Championship can boast a good pedigree in terms of international talent.

"If you look at the Scotland squad at the moment, they are at a similar level to us and we're currently proving that we aren't one season wonders down at Ashton Gate. We are comfortably competing at this level and both McIndoe and McAllister have both got a shout of a call-up really.

"If you look at their positions in the current squad, you'll find players from the Championship occupying them, for example Kris Commons has just been called up and he has only been in the Championship for this season and at left-back there's Gary Naysmith from Sheffield United.

"So, if one of those went down with injury, it's almost natural progression to give one of us boys in the Championship the nod. That's up to George Burley, but it's up to us to show him that we are ready for the call up."

the main site has topics on LJ with his considerations of playing for Scotland and Elliot with his comeback from injury.

To me its a beat up and another way of saying Skuse will be dropped sooner rather than later.

As for playing for Scotland, is that some sort of reporters delusion or merely LJ's aspirations. Of course every player would like to be an international, but imo only Mcindoe has an outside chance, even for a secondary national team like Scotland.

the main site has topics on LJ with his considerations of playing for Scotland and Elliot with his comeback from injury.

To me its a beat up and another way of saying Skuse will be dropped sooner rather than later.

As for playing for Scotland, is that some sort of reporters delusion or merely LJ's aspirations. Of course every player would like to be an international, but imo only Mcindoe has an outside chance, even for a secondary national team like Scotland.

The Scotland Manager, George Burley-Johnson, second cousin twice removed of Bristol City Manager Gary, said today that he thought Lee Johnson would have an excellent chance of breaking into the Scotland squad.

Archived