IGNORED

Basso Mistake

Red Army 79

Johnson hasn't mentioned the mistake by Basso like he did when Weale made a mis- judgement. Weale came out straight away and said sorry to the other players will Basso do the same? If Weale made that mistake it would get a few pages saying he is not good enough. Trying to be consistant here Basso missed pre season, gone off injured three times in games and now has made a howler. Surely its time to give Weale a fair crack at being 1st choice.

Yes. absolutely. Made a mistake so should be dropped as Weale was. But won't be.

I'm not bothered which of them plays as long as we win and obviously consistancy is good. But then so is a consistant selcection policy.

Yes. absolutely. Made a mistake so should be dropped as Weale was. But won't be.

I'm not bothered which of them plays as long as we win and obviously consistancy is good. But then so is a consistant selcection policy.

Aye, exactly. I don't know how you can expect either keeper to be consistent at the moment whe they're both in and out of the team. You would think that all being equal Basso would be dropped for the next game based on what happened to Weale after his mistake. I can't imagine Weale feels like he's playing on a level playing field right now...

Yeah i can see where you`re coming from.

Weale has plenty of time to see a free kick from miles away and gets caught off his line.

Basso gets let down by Skuse in giving the ball away softly and then has to try and save a screaming shot at goal that he probably did well to even get a hand to in the 1st place.

Excellent reasoning there chaps.

PDG

Weale has plenty of time to see a free kick from miles away and gets caught off his line.

Basso gets let down by Skuse in giving the ball away softly and then has to try and save a screaming shot at goal that he probably did well to even get a hand to in the 1st place.

PDG

I'm sorry I love Basso as well and Skuse was certianly at fault for the goal but Basso made a howler. He basiccally palmed a ball straight at him into the bottom corner and it looks even worse on TV than it did at the time.

PDG

Screaming shot? Did well to get a hand to it? can only think you must have been unsighted! the shot was very tame and Basso had ages to get his body behind it, but chose to flap a hand instead. Basic goalkeeeping error. Weale got done because he anticipated a cross, which would have been the case 9.5 times out of 10, instead of a shot, compounded by excellent execution, typically successful in 0.5 times out of 10!

It's your reasoning that is warped.

Screaming shot? Did well to get a hand to it? can only think you must have been unsighted! the shot was very tame and Basso had ages to get his body behind it, but chose to flap a hand instead. Basic goalkeeeping error. Weale got done because he anticipated a cross, which would have been the case 9.5 times out of 10, instead of a shot, compounded by excellent execution, typically successful in 0.5 times out of 10!

It's your reasoning that is warped.

Fine, lets go with the reasoning that if you foul up at any point in the game you get dropped. Thats a consistent team selection out of the window because we`d never have a player playing consecutive matches.

As usual if there`s an error in judgement by a keeper its magnified and will negate any good done previously.

If people want to hang Basso out to dry why don`t they just say so instead of pouncing on any chance given to them. As previously stated he earned us far more points than he`s ever lost us and IMO would have to have a major drop in form to deserve a long spell on the bench.

PDG

Fine, lets go with the reasoning that if you foul up at any point in the game you get dropped. Thats a consistent team selection out of the window because we`d never have a player playing consecutive matches.

As usual if there`s an error in judgement by a keeper its magnified and will negate any good done previously.

If people want to hang Basso out to dry why don`t they just say so instead of pouncing on any chance given to them. As previously stated he earned us far more points than he`s ever lost us and IMO would have to have a major drop in form to deserve a long spell on the bench.

PDG

I'm not advocating that Basso be dropped for the error - he is City's first choice keeper (for the reasons that you mention) and should be picked on that basis unless he has a sustained run of poor form or injury. The original post was just concerned about consistency of comment by GJ. I don't think it would be a smart move by GJ to publicly criticise both his keepers within a week - not something that would instill confidence for either of them.

[quote name='pdgifford64' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:05 AM' post='1005612'

PDG

Point that I was trying to get across from my original post was that. Weale makes a mistake and it has been highlighted by the manager. Basso makes a mistake no mention of it not even a comment like Basso would be disapointed he didnt save it.

Is this a level playing field. Last couple of seasons Basso has been one of our most consistant performers, this season though Basso was out injured for a lot of pre season and has been taken off injured a few times this season which highlights is he physically and mentally match fit.

Did Weale deserve to lose his place after his mis-jugement or did he deserve another chance. I felt he deserved another chance.

I'm not saying drop a Keeper for every mistake he makes I'm saying it should be a level playing field and Johnson should have confidence in Weales ability

I think Johnson is a great manager and has done wonders for this club and long may it continue and am absolutley delighted he has signed a new contract. I just wish his backing for both Keepers is both the same.

I think there are different levels of mistakes, when it comes to goalkeepers (and I speak having not attended last nights match), and it's perhaps unfair to categorise them as the same.

Misjudging a cross completely and it looping into the goal > palming an already on-target shot into the net.

My reasoning is that the latter is an instinctive reaction, and relies on muscle memory etc, whereas the former is a fundamental lapse in concentration / judgement when under relatively little duress.

As such, and given Basso's outstanding performance in countless other games, I have no issue with letting this one slide.

Weale expecting a cross caught of guard. Basso expecting a shot - both attempts were of similar speeds if not one on saturday might of been hit a bit harder. One went into the top corner the other heading straight to the Keeper perfect height to catch the ball Keeper didnt have to move.

Which one sounds worse to you?

i was in the EE but over to the side and it looked a bad mistake from basso, but...

speaking to my cousin at half time who was right behind the goal and he said basso couldnt of done any better. hit was hit like a rocket, but apparently as it looked as though basso had it covered, the ball swang from right to left at the very last moment giving basso no real chance of saving it and maybe made it look far worse than it was.

basso is our number 1!

Weale expecting a cross caught of guard. Basso expecting a shot - both attempts were of similar speeds if not one on saturday might of been hit a bit harder. One went into the top corner the other heading straight to the Keeper perfect height to catch the ball Keeper didnt have to move.

Which one sounds worse to you?

Which one sounds worse is irrelevant to me. I'd rather watch the footage and judge first hand. Although there seems to be some disagreement about how quickly the shot was travelling. If it was the same speed as Kightly's cross, as you state, it must have been a pretty tame effort, and they don't tend to swerve much.

Basso's error last night was one of his worst. I'd even go as far to say as I wouldn't think Steve Phillips would have let it in. The "did well to get his hand to it" comment is just completely laughable, lets not beat around the bush here it was a very bad error.

Weale's error on Saturday was also quite bad, he positioned himself for the cross and Kightly took advantage.

Irrespective of which one was worse, the outcome was the same.

I'd sooner see Weale in the team ahead of Basso but believe both are exceedingly capable in this division.

PDG

how do you know weale had plenty of time to see the free kick.

i couldn't possibly say that because i wasn't on the goal line!

the bottom line is basso should have done better with the first goal

last night...weale was also slagged off for conceding against derby,

a mistake is a mistake whoever makes it and crucifying them for it

doesn't help.

It's a testament to what a great sports person and representative for this club that Chris Weale has not only stayed with us this long but is willing to admit his own faults.

In my opinion the Basso gaffe looks cringingly savable on the telly but the same could be said of Weale's misjudgement. I don't think the shot was a screamer at Basso but then again the cross against Weale wasn't to hard either. Personally from the Tv replays the Basso one looks worse but because he the fans favourite and the gaffers favourite (despite them both being number 1's) little will get mentioned.

The defence cant exactly be confident with both keepers making mistakes but rotating them unsettles the defence also.

It's a tough call who should start next.

I would think Basso will and will probably last until we suffer our next heavy defeat which I hope never comes.

It was very very saveable. More so than Weale's on the weekend. But of course this is the only thread on the subject, simply because it was Basso and not Weale.

I'm not suggesting that he should be dropped or that we should make a big deal about it, because everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but compared to what was said about Weale, the silence is deafening.

I think these sort of mistakes are what happen when you have two goalkeepers rotating.

One gets in lacking match practice and makes an error. The next one comes in, having not played for a fortnight or more and makes a mistake.

GJ needs to make a decision and stick with it, to give the keeper chance to find his form, or it's a vicious circle.

Despite both making errors, it seems fairly clear that Basso is number one choice, and I expect him to play a long run of games now (much like last season), regardless of the occasional error. As, long term, it's a safer bet than constantly changing it.

With Weale, I feel like GJ is looking for reasons to drop him. Whereas with Basso, I think he's looking for reasons to select him. If that's how he feels about it, fine. But it's time to stick with it, which I feel he now will.

I think these sort of mistakes are what happen when you have two goalkeepers rotating.

One gets in lacking match practice and makes an error. The next one comes in, having not played for a fortnight or more and makes a mistake.

GJ needs to make a decision and stick with it, to give the keeper chance to find his form, or it's a vicious circle.

Despite both making errors, it seems fairly clear that Basso is number one choice, and I expect him to play a long run of games now (much like last season), regardless of the occasional error. As, long term, it's a safer bet than constantly changing it.

With Weale, I feel like GJ is looking for reasons to drop him. Whereas with Basso, I think he's looking for reasons to select him. If that's how he feels about it, fine. But it's time to stick with it, which I feel he now will.

about right!

both keepers are looking worried about making a mistake because the other will take their place so added pressure can lead to mistakes, both got that looking over their shoulder syndrome and it does not help it can unsettle you.

PDG

Screaming shot? Its called getting your body behind it and 99% of amature goal keepers would of saved it.

It was very very saveable. More so than Weale's on the weekend. But of course this is the only thread on the subject, simply because it was Basso and not Weale.

I'm not suggesting that he should be dropped or that we should make a big deal about it, because everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but compared to what was said about Weale, the silence is deafening.

thats exactly what i said,before the game on tuesday!

everyone clamoured for basso to be put back in after weale's

mistake.basso makes a mistake after 5 minutes and the silence is deafening.

look at it this way.can you imagine weale had kept his place and made a similar

error? he would have been taken to task big time!

It was an awful error for Plymouth's opener and it looks worse everytime you see it.

Watch the replay or, better still, look at the bcfc.co.uk photo gallery for the match (photo 1 and then 2) to see just how badly spilled the shot was.

If GJ is applying the same logic to his goalkeeper selection this week as he did last then Weale should expect to return at Sheffield, regardless of the undoubted quality of many of Basso's past performances.

To do otherwise would be a error in my eyes.

Archived