IGNORED

Any Thoughts On Lj's Performance Vs. Argyle?

headhunter

Dad always says about having players who "affect the game" - will someone tell me why I shouldn't be critical about the lad because a vast majority of the posts on here cite the midfield as the root of all our problems.

I did my own player cam on LJ last night and saw only two forward passes! His OPTA stats look good because he'll pick the ball off, say, Fontaine, and then under pressure lay it back to the same player or sideways and this counts as a completed pass.

McIndoe was apparently left out because of his harsh but true comments in the press - I just wonder what area of the team MM meant when he said the squad needed strengthening.

Trundle made a big difference last night and you have to ask what issue GJ has had with Noble so far this season. Not for the first time in his City career did Noble "affect the game" when he came on.

I brought 2 guests to the game, both thought Adebola looked a donkey - how about Makinde and Maynard up front at Sheff Utd this weekend?

For me up until the substitutions LJ was by far and away our best player! Everyone around me was saying so, admitingly he did not play the ball forward to often but then again he did not have many options in front of him, the one thing he did do time and time again was find someone in a red shirt which is something knowone else was doing!

Can we chnage the record LJ was not to blame last night! He is a good player and we need to relaise that! He will never set the world alight but he is one of what I would call our championship players!

Dad always says about having players who "affect the game" - will someone tell me why I shouldn't be critical about the lad because a vast majority of the posts on here cite the midfield as the root of all our problems.

I did my own player cam on LJ last night and saw only two forward passes! His OPTA stats look good because he'll pick the ball off, say, Fontaine, and then under pressure lay it back to the same player or sideways and this counts as a completed pass.

McIndoe was apparently left out because of his harsh but true comments in the press - I just wonder what area of the team MM meant when he said the squad needed strengthening.

Trundle made a big difference last night and you have to ask what issue GJ has had with Noble so far this season. Not for the first time in his City career did Noble "affect the game" when he came on.

I brought 2 guests to the game, both thought Adebola looked a donkey - how about Makinde and Maynard up front at Sheff Utd this weekend?

Then you need to ask yourself why did he pass the ball back, most of the time it was because there was at LEAST one Plymuff player up his ar$e, and a couple of times there were 3 within 2 yards of him. He passed the ball back to retain possession - which unfortunately seems to be a trait that was sadly lacking by ALL of the team in the first half.

To the second point of your highlighted sentence - He passes it sideways -SOOOOOOOO WHHAAATTT? - its called spreading the play or switching the side of attacks. ALL of the best teams in the world do this as they are trying to stretch the opposition FFS and create gaps in the oppositions defence - but again whilst keeping possession.

Are you sure you watched the game last night people? How can anyone say he was our best player?! What!? I like him but last night he was miles off the pace. The first half the centre of the park was a massive hole. Plymouth won everything and most the time didn't need to try it went straight to them as our midfield all over was non existant. Johnson and skuse both gave the ball away alot. Johnsons touch was terrible last night too. Get noble and marv in the centre we have no decent attackin threat wit LJ and CS.

I like johnson I'm just saying its def time for a change lets see nobes and marv. Big problem with our midfield last night is we had no leader, well no leader for us at all mcallistair is no captain. Trundle come and led by example and grabbed the game by the scruff off the neck and got the rest off the team playing better. And johnson did improve on his awful first half effort but still i think noble and marv would be far more effective.

LJ works his socks off each game.

remember last season. we missed him when he was out.

Thats all very well and good, but hard work does not make a quality player. Did we really miss him or did Johnson just use his other options badly in his sons abscence ? Bas savage worked his socks off every game but he was still shite, the same is true to a much lesser extent of Johnson, he's an average at best championship midfielder, his sideways passing is largely innefective, he leaves a massive hole in central midfield, last season what we missed more than anything was a fully fit and firing Elliot, we were just as bad as we were when Johnson was playing and Elliot was clearly unfit, Johnson being out made no difference to us at all.

our midfield has been dismal all season with johnson in it, the others have been playing within themselfes but alot of that is down to having to plug the hole in crentral midfield, when Elliot is fit it doesn't matter as he does all of his and the majority of Johnsons work for him, and plugs the gap, stick a quality midfielder alongside Elliot (which i'm not sure we have, but Noble or Williams have to ge given a go) or stick trundle in the hole with Elliot on his own in the middle as he may as well be on his own anyway.

Elliot is the key to our side, he is to us what Gerrard is to Liverpool, but it would be nice to have a back up alongside him in central midfield. Our midfield is by far and away the weakest area of our side, now i'm not going to blame it all on Johnson, but he is as much a part of the problem as anyone else if not more because of the way his deficiencies effect our other midfielders, while providing insufficient qualities to make up for this, if johnson scored his fair share or was plying the killer balls left right and centre you can accept having to cover for his inadequacies, Scholes can't tackle and his midfield partner has to cover for this but his goalscoring and general play more than makes up for this, Johnsons in my view does not.

Sorry tp p*ss on your bonfire but, LJ was our best player in the first half!

No john he was no where near are best player him and skuse were non existant. It was like there was a Massive whole in the middle of our team missing both players were very poor

It's harsh just to single out the central midfield 1st half, no-one showed up 1st half, as for LJ I have been critical in the past when he's made errors but he's human, we certainly missed him last season when he was out his set pieces especially from corners are usually spot on + yesterday 2nd half he was driving the team + sweeping up any knock downs from thd defence and spread the play going forward. As someone mentioned earlier he played a cracking looping ball over the top 2nd half and was one of the main reasons why we managed to salvage a point

No john he was no where near are best player him and skuse were non existant. It was like there was a Massive whole in the middle of our team missing both players were very poor

Imo LJ was the best of a bad bunch, at least he wanted the ball and took some pressue of the defence.

His midfield partner was clueless, Scholes would have looked poor playing alongside him.

We didnt have a midfield all night

How anybody can say LJ had a ok game is a joke

Who said he had an ok game? I thought he was poor in the first half. I also thought he was one of our best players in the first half! Comprende'? Come back when you've given it a little bit more thought...eh!

Why start a thread about Lee Johnson AGAIN?! Unbelievable. The most analysed player in world football, and all because he's the managers son and no other reason. He was better than the other three in the first half, but i doubt anyone who was 'player camming' Johnson all game would have noticed?

When are we going to leave him alone and stop analysing him all the time because of who he is, because it's getting beyond ridiculous now.

I brought 2 guests to the game, both thought Adebola looked a donkey

What game were they watching Adebola won almost everything in the air and had we anticipated a bit better then maybe some of his flick ons might have come off. Adebola along with LJ was certainly to of our better performers in a very drab 1st half display.

Thats all very well and good, but hard work does not make a quality player. Did we really miss him or did Johnson just use his other options badly in his sons abscence ? Bas savage worked his socks off every game but he was still shite, the same is true to a much lesser extent of Johnson, he's an average at best championship midfielder, his sideways passing is largely innefective, he leaves a massive hole in central midfield, last season what we missed more than anything was a fully fit and firing Elliot, we were just as bad as we were when Johnson was playing and Elliot was clearly unfit, Johnson being out made no difference to us at all.

our midfield has been dismal all season with johnson in it, the others have been playing within themselfes but alot of that is down to having to plug the hole in crentral midfield, when Elliot is fit it doesn't matter as he does all of his and the majority of Johnsons work for him, and plugs the gap, stick a quality midfielder alongside Elliot (which i'm not sure we have, but Noble or Williams have to ge given a go) or stick trundle in the hole with Elliot on his own in the middle as he may as well be on his own anyway.

Elliot is the key to our side, he is to us what Gerrard is to Liverpool, but it would be nice to have a back up alongside him in central midfield. Our midfield is by far and away the weakest area of our side, now i'm not going to blame it all on Johnson, but he is as much a part of the problem as anyone else if not more because of the way his deficiencies effect our other midfielders, while providing insufficient qualities to make up for this, if johnson scored his fair share or was plying the killer balls left right and centre you can accept having to cover for his inadequacies, Scholes can't tackle and his midfield partner has to cover for this but his goalscoring and general play more than makes up for this, Johnsons in my view does not.

:clapping: Great post and spot. Doesn't matter though, because people seem to believe that Lee Johnson is good enough to take this club forward. Unfortunately, so does Gary. :innocent06:

Surely that applies to almost the whole of our squad. I think we can all agree that last seasons success was founded mainly through hard work, more than our fair share of luck with the occasional flash of brilliance thrown in.

To cite the reason for our dismal midfield performances being Johnsons presence in it is ridiculous. I can think of plenty of other reasons that have nothing to do with LJ......

When Wilson plays, whether he`s instructed to do so or not, continually tucks in offering no width whatsoever.

If the ball is in play with any of the back four 9 times out of 10 it results in a hoof towards Dele totally bypassing the midfield altogether never mind Johnson.

Our attacking play, when it`s kept on the ground, is too often far too slow and predictable. Little movement up front, resulting in the ball either being passed sideways, backwards or, as is happening more often, possesion lost.

Again our attacking play has become so one dimensional its unreal.

Sad to say there did seem to be a lack of something Tues night in the 1st half, call it what you want but one incident stands out for me. Towards the end of the half an Arglye attack petered out and Wilson had the ball with a chance to break out, and in fairness he carried the towards the halway line showing some good intent. Dele and Maynard looking for a pass but being well marshalled by the defence, Wilson starting to get closed down just inside the Argyle half and where was his support ? Trotting out of our penalty area. Not a single other player had made an effort to support Wilson by giving him an option.

I`m not a happy clapper, i`m not a doom monger i will however speak my mind.

GJ has worked wonders and i hope he continues to do so and i am eternally grateful for what he`s done for this club for the past 3 years but surely it is not wrong or disloyal of me to question the ability of our current squad and the tactics employed in being capable of achieving the clubs stated aim of, at the least, repeating last seasons achievement.

I`m not saying that if we fail GJ must go. I just think that there are a heck of a lot of people on this forum that need to get a reality check. We are Bristol City, we may well Believe, we may well Believe too much.

If we finish above mid-table i will consider that a good season. If we finish in the play-offs with the squad we have i will consider that another GJ miracle.

So before people start throwing the blame at a single player, more often than not, because, as the managers son he`s an obvious target, look at the bigger picture.

Rant over, cue the backlash.

PDG

Surely that applies to almost the whole of our squad. I think we can all agree that last seasons success was founded mainly through hard work, more than our fair share of luck with the occasional flash of brilliance thrown in.

To cite the reason for our dismal midfield performances being Johnsons presence in it is ridiculous. I can think of plenty of other reasons that have nothing to do with LJ......

When Wilson plays, whether he`s instructed to do so or not, continually tucks in offering no width whatsoever.

If the ball is in play with any of the back four 9 times out of 10 it results in a hoof towards Dele totally bypassing the midfield altogether never mind Johnson.

Our attacking play, when it`s kept on the ground, is too often far too slow and predictable. Little movement up front, resulting in the ball either being passed sideways, backwards or, as is happening more often, possesion lost.

Again our attacking play has become so one dimensional its unreal.

Sad to say there did seem to be a lack of something Tues night in the 1st half, call it what you want but one incident stands out for me. Towards the end of the half an Arglye attack petered out and Wilson had the ball with a chance to break out, and in fairness he carried the towards the halway line showing some good intent. Dele and Maynard looking for a pass but being well marshalled by the defence, Wilson starting to get closed down just inside the Argyle half and where was his support ? Trotting out of our penalty area. Not a single other player had made an effort to support Wilson by giving him an option.

I`m not a happy clapper, i`m not a doom monger i will however speak my mind.

GJ has worked wonders and i hope he continues to do so and i am eternally grateful for what he`s done for this club for the past 3 years but surely it is not wrong or disloyal of me to question the ability of our current squad and the tactics employed in being capable of achieving the clubs stated aim of, at the least, repeating last seasons achievement.

I`m not saying that if we fail GJ must go. I just think that there are a heck of a lot of people on this forum that need to get a reality check. We are Bristol City, we may well Believe, we may well Believe too much.

If we finish above mid-table i will consider that a good season. If we finish in the play-offs with the squad we have i will consider that another GJ miracle.

So before people start throwing the blame at a single player, more often than not, because, as the managers son he`s an obvious target, look at the bigger picture.

Rant over, cue the backlash.

PDG

I actually rate Adebola, i think he's a quality centre forward at this level, the one thing i can't understand is why when we've got possession the two strikers keep making straight runs, why don't they switch by making diagonal runs, this is one of the ways to create space behind the centre backs.

I actually rate Adebola, i think he's a quality centre forward at this level, the one thing i can't understand is why when we've got possession the two strikers keep making straight runs, why don't they switch by making diagonal runs, this is one of the ways to create space behind the centre backs.

I`m confused. i expected backlash, in fact i don`t know what i expected. It wasn`t a sensible, reasoned response thats for sure.

Thankyou.

BTW i agree Dele is a good CF at this level, however, ATM it just seems our only option for his presence is to hoof the ball towards him from every corner of the pitch.

A little less sensible and reasoned i know.

I apologise

PDG

Archived