IGNORED

Lee Johnson

City_Steve

Morning All!

As a long time reader, but infrequent poster on this forum i must admit this whole subject is just so so tiresome now!

Yes he's Gary Son! Can we all just get over it now please! As an Exile living just outside Paris, I was on here last night in the "Live Chat" area during the game as I don't currently have a world subscription, relying on fellow "fans" for updates on the game last night! Now we all know the first half was pretty poor by our high standard, but things greatly improved in the 2nd, but all that was said in the Live area was pretty much sub LJ, as he was playing very badly, now i come on here this morning to read other members of the forum praising his performance last night! I'm fully aware that people are entitled to their own opinions of course, but it just seems there is a massive chuck of the forum who really dislike Lee's selection, now is it because he's Gary's son? Would we all be so quick to jump on his back when he preforms below par if he was not a "Johnson". I don't think so!!

Lee is in the team because right now when it comes to creative players he's one of our best! (not to say we have huge depth in this area!) Yes I know, Noble your all thinking! But I've always personally felt he was more suited to a more free row behind the front two for example, but that requires the likes of Elliot alongside him in my opinion. Who knows maybe Gary will surprise us all and drop LJ for Nobes Saturday, I for one would like this just to show LJ he's not indispensable, right now he probably the first name on the team sheet as far as the midfield is concerned!

We all keep going on about believing! But why can we just give our support to the 11 on the field, I guess I'm one of those old fashioned fans who supports the 11 for the full 90 mins! What does it really achieve booing and cussing a player having a off night other than knocking their confidence!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we'll never fully understand the manager choices for a match we don't see what goes on behind the scenes on a daily basis, Just get behind the lads! (inc LJ) and come the end of the season i believe personally the squad will do us all proud with another top 6 finish!

Steve

Morning All!

As a long time reader, but infrequent poster on this forum i must admit this whole subject is just so so tiresome now!

Yes he's Gary Son! Can we all just get over it now please! As an Exile living just outside Paris, I was on here last night in the "Live Chat" area during the game as I don't currently have a world subscription, relying on fellow "fans" for updates on the game last night! Now we all know the first half was pretty poor by our high standard, but things greatly improved in the 2nd, but all that was said in the Live area was pretty much sub LJ, as he was playing very badly, now i come on here this morning to read other members of the forum praising his performance last night! I'm fully aware that people are entitled to their own opinions of course, but it just seems there is a massive chuck of the forum who really dislike Lee's selection, now is it because he's Gary's son? Would we all be so quick to jump on his back when he preforms below par if he was not a "Johnson". I don't think so!!

Lee is in the team because right now when it comes to creative players he's one of our best! (not to say we have huge depth in this area!) Yes I know, Noble your all thinking! But I've always personally felt he was more suited to a more free row behind the front two for example, but that requires the likes of Elliot alongside him in my opinion. Who knows maybe Gary will surprise us all and drop LJ for Nobes Saturday, I for one would like this just to show LJ he's not indispensable, right now he probably the first name on the team sheet as far as the midfield is concerned!

We all keep going on about believing! But why can we just give our support to the 11 on the field, I guess I'm one of those old fashioned fans who supports the 11 for the full 90 mins! What does it really achieve booing and cussing a player having a off night other than knocking their confidence!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we'll never fully understand the manager choices for a match we don't see what goes on behind the scenes on a daily basis, Just get behind the lads! (inc LJ) and come the end of the season i believe personally the squad will do us all proud with another top 6 finish!

Steve

You should have been at the game.

Lee Johnson was fortunate that Gary Johnson had used up all his subs when replacing Skuse and Sproule. Johnson deserved to be replaced last night.

While not a Johnson fan, I have found myself defending him against with some of the irrational abuse he has suffered on this forum. For me, he is an average player who just about deserves his place in the current team.

However, last night he was poor and was only reprieved in my view because he was not as bad as Skuse and Sproule.

Looking at it logically, for me, the 4 best midfielders at the club are McIndoe, Elliott, Wilson (who is 'officially' listed as a defender) and Johnson in that order. I haven't seen enough of Williams yet, but he could displace Johnson in my list.

Those who feel there is nepotism afoot with Johnson's selection may consider that Johnson senior may be reluctant to bring in midfielders that are better than his son - but that is a whole new debate!

Those who feel there is nepotism afoot with Johnson's selection may consider that Johnson senior may be reluctant to bring in midfielders that are better than his son - but that is a whole new debate!

I personally comment on this subject regarding the possibility of signing Ben Watson from Palarse!

Personally, the relationship between Player and Manager doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is the ability and inconsistency of the player and the lack of ability/guile to be an creative player, he's supposed to be an attacking midfield player, however barely attacks and doesn't have a goal scoring record worth discussing.

The main problem is the serious lack of competition for his position in the team, Williams is supposed to be a winger, Wilson is a good player but is not a regular choice for central midfield at this level and the only other option is Noble. Noble is technically a brilliant player however he does have the constant problem with his fitness for whatever reasons and can't be relied upon for to play 90mins week in, week out, which is a crying shame, the best alternative we have had was Carle who when actually played in the middle with Elliott looked pure class, but was mainly wasted in many different positions in his time at City then sold on for a quick small profit.

As long as we are lacking alternative options in that position to LJ and his role will always be discussed.

As for last night, he was no better than anyone else in midfield, but no worse, to be honest all 4 in midfield were poor last night collectively, just had no quality. Sooner elliott and mcindoe are back 100% fit the better.

if fit on saturday I'd be tempted with a midfield of....

McIndoe, Elliott, Noble, Wilson

I have been a big LJ fan for as long as he has been at AG. IMO he has provided that bit of composure, no-nonsense distribution, and quality dead-ball delivery that the team lacked previously.

However, my view of Lee's contribution to the team is changing. He still spreads the ball to bring in wider players effectively at times - BUT, seems to have completely lost his touch when passing the ball forwards (!). His balls into the channels are largely ineffective, and he plays countless little dinks up to the the strikers which come straight back.

What has crystallised my concern with his form at present is the mauling he took against Wolves and Bham - and the fact that last night he was also largely ineffective against lesser opposition. I think its time for a change in the middle of midfield - to bring some drive and goal threat - whether Williams can step up as an effective partner for Marv is impossible to tell from what we've seen so far - if he can't then SL is going to have to get the cheque-book out.

I'll support whichever 11 go out wearing the shirt, but like most other City fans have my own opinion of what I would like to see happen. Nepotism is nothing to do with the LJ debate.

Archived