IGNORED

Wolves Get Even Better...

DaveF

We don't need a winger :noexpression:

I will eat my hat if the poster below is right and we finish above Wolves

I will also throw my hat in as well that you can eat if the poster is right and wefinish above Wolves. :noexpression:

We don't need a winger :noexpression:

I will eat my hat if the poster below is right and we finish above Wolves

rubbish mate, look at both sqauds.

I only have two words to say to you...

Mick and McCarthy. He will choke. They will choke.

I will also throw my hat in as well that you can eat if the poster is right and wefinish above Wolves. :noexpression:

OK, last game of season I expect a public hat eating exercise

The reason they signed him is due to Jarvis being out for two months and kightly out for four weeks.

Indeed.

Mick and McCarthy. He will choke. They will choke.

based on what???

the fact that you don't like him? or based on his managerial record at this level? I don't understand people's problem with him personally.

Decent Manager, very likely bloke and been there done it at this level? got promotion out of this division before with Sunderland so don't see why he can't do it again with Wolves

I wish we were as ambitous as Manchester City.

Some people are never happy. If we come as far in the next 3 years as we have done in the last 3 years then I will be delighted. Progress takes time ffs. Chill the f%%k out.

that's a silly statement.

I think the point is that at the start of the season when Season Tickets were on sale, it was the old "we're aiming for promotion next season" talk from Management and Board, however when it's come to the crunch we haven't improved the team in key areas, Striker situation has been seriously improved with the additions of young pacy forwards such as Akinde and Maynard, however the problem last season was lack of natural cover on the left side and lack of creativity in the middle of the park.

quality signing......VERY GOOD Right Winger, wish we were as ambitious as Wolves.

Of course we are as ambitious as Wolves, but you can't just magic these signings overnight. There are so many factors to consider around signing a player, such as wages and fitting them into the squad. It's not just a case of saying "I want" and then it happening.

Of course we are as ambitious as Wolves, but you can't just magic these signings overnight. There are so many factors to consider around signing a player, such as wages and fitting them into the squad. It's not just a case of saying "I want" and then it happening.

did or did not GJ say towards the end of last season, they had 2 lists of players they were interested in, for promotion and without promotion, it's interesting that one striker we were seriously looking at in Jan went to wolves and we didn't even make a bid for him in the summer, unfortunately we spent too much time this summer flying back and forth talking to the arab, rather than looking to improve the squad overall.

did or did not GJ say towards the end of last season, they had 2 lists of players they were interested in, for promotion and without promotion, it's interesting that one striker we were seriously looking at in Jan went to wolves and we didn't even make a bid for him in the summer, unfortunately we spent too much time this summer flying back and forth talking to the arab, rather than looking to improve the squad overall.

I don't think Vokes was on one list or the other necessarily. I think we missed out there because we didn't take a gamble on him in January and again because we're not quite at the same level as Wolves and others just yet we can't be taking too many gambles on players. I'd like to have seen us sign Vokes and it looks like he was a good signing for Wolves, but Johnson is naturally conservative in these situations, which may be a blessing or a curse, I'm not sure.

I think we're stuck at the moment because the sort of players we need to improve are (a) expensive and (b) reluctant to sign for a club like City until it can prove itself to be a consistent top Championship side. We have to come through this tough patch before we can really start signing players of the quality to push us on to the next level.

I hope that's what the issue is anyway. I trust that Gary Johnson can identify a good player and knows where and how to improve the squad.

Your right, a left or right winger would not fit into our Squad. :noexpression:

As for the wages, it is a case of return on investment.

I don't think Vokes was on one list or the other necessarily. I think we missed out there because we didn't take a gamble on him in January and again because we're not quite at the same level as Wolves and others just yet we can't be taking too many gambles on players. I'd like to have seen us sign Vokes and it looks like he was a good signing for Wolves, but Johnson is naturally conservative in these situations, which may be a blessing or a curse, I'm not sure.

I think we're stuck at the moment because the sort of players we need to improve are (a) expensive and (b) reluctant to sign for a club like City until it can prove itself to be a consistent top Championship side. We have to come through this tough patch before we can really start signing players of the quality to push us on to the next level.

I hope that's what the issue is anyway. I trust that Gary Johnson can identify a good player and knows where and how to improve the squad.

The thing is, Wolves signed Vokes just after the before the play-off final, at the time we still had a chance of Prem football, so attracting him wouldn't have been a problem and considering our forwards at the time, he would have felt he had a good chance of first team footy, especially considering the amount of forwards at Wolves.

As for the finanical side, the lad went for 300k I believe, not that I'm knocking Akinde at all, but if you look at what they have both done prior to joining their current clubs, most people would rather pay 300k for Vokes than £150k for a unknown in Akinde.......again not that as a negative for akinde, who also looks a good prospect.

The thing is, Wolves signed Vokes just after the before the play-off final, at the time we still had a chance of Prem football, so attracting him wouldn't have been a problem and considering our forwards at the time, he would have felt he had a good chance of first team footy, especially considering the amount of forwards at Wolves.

As for the finanical side, the lad went for 300k I believe, not that I'm knocking Akinde at all, but if you look at what they have both done prior to joining their current clubs, most people would rather pay 300k for Vokes than £150k for a unknown in Akinde.......again not that as a negative for akinde, who also looks a good prospect.

I do agree in general, but perhaps Gary was a bit preoccupied with footballing matters just prior to the playoff final? Of course he could have allowed someone else to arrange the transfer but that's a slippery slope to get on to.

I don't know what the reasons are, I'm just speculating. I don't think that things are as clear-cut and straightforward as we'd like them to be, though. I just don't think that we're not signing these players because Gary doesn't want to improve the squad or doesn't know how.

Having watched the interview with Pete Johnson the other week I'm convinced that the club is moving in the right direction and I'm happy to be patient whilst those involved work towards their goals. I know which players I rate and which I'd like to see, but I also know that I really haven't got a clue regarding the logistics of signing these players, nor even how useful they would actually be.

Your right, a left or right winger would not fit into our Squad. :noexpression:

As for the wages, it is a case of return on investment.

It's just not that simple though. Let's just say, purely as an example, that signing a new right winger causes Ivan Sproule to become unsettled. "Fine", you might say, but what if Sproule is good mates with Jamie McAllister who in turn has a lot of influence over Michael McIndoe and Marvin Elliott. All these players could become unsettled by the deal, leading to poor performances, more pressure on everyone and further dissension in the ranks. Our team relies heavily on the togetherness in the squad for success and that togetherness can be destroyed much more easily than it was created.

Of course the above is merely an example, and possibly an extreme one, but it's an illustration of a factor that must be considered when making any change at all to the squad. It's a balancing act and Gary Johnson is right to exercise caution.

wish we were as ambitious as Wolves
Does no football fan have a basic grasp of economics? You have to live within your means, and City are not as wealthy as Wolves. SL is investing in a stadium and has said (Quite rightly) that he will not bankroll limitless signings. We can be ambitious and 'invest' and it might get us up, but if it doesn't, it means financial sh*t for years, rapid cutbacks and, most likely, a quick return to Div 3. Also, just try looking at the news - Not a good time to gamble with big money! Give it 2 years, the football bubble will have burst, and the few well run Clubs will be the beneficiaries.

Carlos Edwards ???

The ex-Wrexham and Luton winger ??

The failure at Sunderland ??

Strengthening their squad my arse.

which shows you how clueless you are.

Would have been a FANTASTIC signing for City and a player I would have loved us to get in on the right wing, better than anyone we currently have in that position

Sunderland's best player in their promotion season, but has been unlucky with injury problems since they went up.

Archived