IGNORED

Changes To Be Made?

Lack of Action Man

It's a while till our next game so what would you be looking to do in training with the players if you were gaffer?

What changes would you make from todays line up?

id like to see sinclair brought in although i feel this is unlikely

bring in nobes and go with a 4-4-1-1 with maynard or akinde up front on their own

:englandsmile4wf:

4-4-1-1 is what I want to see and get the players on the training field practicing on the "floor" football!

spot on mate, we go with this and I'm sure we would see improvement as our free flowing football would be allowed to flourish

It's a while till our next game so what would you be looking to do in training with the players if you were gaffer?

see if we can get Nick Carle back on loan with a view to a perm move? though would probably cost £2m now?

:innocent06:

(1) Assess the fitness of McCombe and if not ready in 2 weeks sign someone bigger than 6' at the back.

(2) Find a pattern of play that breaks down a solid, narrow back four with a holding midfielder in front. Because at the moment that is all the opposition need to do to beat us. We'll play all day in front of them and then moan about having the bulk of possession and no chances.

My answer to (2) would be to play with width and pace. I don't care what Johnson comes up with, as long as it gets fixed.

Get back to some basic passing, move the ball around quicker and pulling teams about. We look very predictable at the moment and the defence is struggling with set pieces. Noble, Trundle and McIndoe are very good on the ball and with them in the team we can cut the long ball to the CF ? Sometimes going long is a good option but the more you use it, it just gets moped up easily by established championship teams who have seen it all before

Unsure if Noble and trundle could start in the same X1 ? - If they did would this work

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine McCallister

Wilson or LJ Elliott McIndoe

Noble Trundle

1 of Dele/Maynard or Akinde

Weale, Webster, Wilson/LJ, 2 of Dele/Maynard or Akinde

??

It seems to me that our enitre gameplan revolves around keeping it tight for the first 30 minutes and then when the opposition start to tire, our "superior" fitness levels then are meant to kick in !

Instead of playing narrow, stifling football, we should use the entire pitch to actually create room and play pass (not lump) and move football. We only tend to do this when we're trailing in a game, and a majority of the time we then start to play.

GJ sends his teams out too negatively in my opinion.

Step 1:Assess where the problem lies-that shouldn't be difficult because it's been the same for the last two years.

Step 2:If we could have solved it from within the current crop of players, one would have thought we would have done it by now.

Step 3:Bring in the two/three top quality players we need.They are needed & have been since last season and our inactivity in the transfer market close season was an immense disappointment after around 15,000 people had commited to an ST or Membership during these troubled financial times:

• Right Wing
  • Central Midfield General-I can't believe that we missed out on Brian Howard at £500k
  • And........If Elliott's got problems with staying fit........another strong central midfielder.

Interestingly,none of our summer signings (Williams & Maynard) started yesterday and two of last summers expensive signings (Trundle & Sproule) didn't either.

McCombe's our first ball winning centre back if we want to stay 4-4-2 or can join Fontaine & Carey in a back three if we want to change the system.If he's not back soon we also need a quality central defender.

If Mancienne & Sinclair arrive, that's good, but, assuming Elliott stays fit :fingerscrossed: we still need the creative central midfield player.

Without harping on about second season syndrome, it's fairly obvious that we've been found out in certain areas and that the squad lacks depth in terms of quality.

Now, we can do that or make some fundemental tactical changes like playing with three central midfielders. three central defenders, Noble in the hole in a 4-4-1-1........etc, etc

We also need cover for Adebola if Brooker can't get fit which is disapointing because, fit & on form, he's still the best striker we have-Howver there are no signs of that changing.

Our strikers are the latest in a long line of proven goalscorers who struggle do get 15 a season due to the narrowness and holding nature of our game.We defend with seven and attack with four at most and, in a game that is containing more long balls, that isolates strikers, hence our lack of goals last season and even the one before.

It was no coincidence that McAllister's first gallop, past the ball, to the byeline and low cross from Trundle's measured pass, saw us open Plymouth up last Tuesday evening.

Talking about togetherness, the dressing room and this group of players, whilst imporatant, has to be tempered with a strategy of constant improvement and, in simple terms, we are no better than last season.Signing one talented young striker at £2.25m won't significantly change things although, it has proved the point about our lack of creativity, guile, cleverness & quality in the final third etc, etc that was trotted out on so many occassions last season it got boring (although spot on & true!)

Yesterday, we had one shot on target in 90 minutes in a game where we had an almost equal share of possession, in fact more in the first half-What does that tell you and that's a similar picture most weeks irrespective of who plays up front.

It can be solved and I have no doubt that we have the funds to do it-More accurately, our Shareholders do, although, in fairness, the fans have more than done their bit with ST Sales and bumper crowds.

Over to you GJ/SL. :city::city:

basso played a stinker yesterday at least 2 goal was his fault 3 the most properly one he drived over it

well id also get someone like sproule on the wing instead of wilson

and drop lee johnson for a game i like him alot but yesterday he lost everything in the midfeild

get him back to how he used to play pingging balls about the feild

and for god sake STOP PLAYING THE LONG BALL

yesterday showed adebola cant win header or if he does he doesn't know where they are going

i cant knock the guy for work effort but not doing nothing

akinde and maynard upfront

with trundle or noble just behind

in the play making spot

also get brooker fit again when he plays he causes trouble with there defence

LJ needs to be dropped, he's nothing more than a squad player at this level, harsh but true

Yesterday he didn't play a single pass to the front two, most of his passes went to a city defender or a Blade, and since he can't tackle or win headers, what does he bring to the table? We can do without players to make up the numbers

Step 1:Assess where the problem lies-that shouldn't be difficult because it's been the same for the last two years.

Step 2:If we could have solved it from within the current crop of players, one would have thought we would have done it by now.

Step 3:Bring in the two/three top quality players we need.They are needed & have been since last season and our inactivity in the transfer market close season was an immense disappointment after around 15,000 people had commited to an ST or Membership during these troubled financial times:

• Right Wing
  • Central Midfield General-I can't believe that we missed out on Brian Howard at £500k
  • And........If Elliott's got problems with staying fit........another strong central midfielder.

Interestingly,none of our summer signings (Williams & Maynard) started yesterday and two of last summers expensive signings (Trundle & Sproule) didn't either.

McCombe's our first ball winning centre back if we want to stay 4-4-2 or can join Fontaine & Carey in a back three if we want to change the system.If he's not back soon we also need a quality central defender.

If Mancienne & Sinclair arrive, that's good, but, assuming Elliott stays fit :fingerscrossed: we still need the creative central midfield player.

Without harping on about second season syndrome, it's fairly obvious that we've been found out in certain areas and that the squad lacks depth in terms of quality.

Now, we can do that or make some fundemental tactical changes like playing with three central midfielders. three central defenders, Noble in the hole in a 4-4-1-1........etc, etc

We also need cover for Adebola if Brooker can't get fit which is disapointing because, fit & on form, he's still the best striker we have-Howver there are no signs of that changing.

Our strikers are the latest in a long line of proven goalscorers who struggle do get 15 a season due to the narrowness and holding nature of our game.We defend with seven and attack with four at most and, in a game that is containing more long balls, that isolates strikers, hence our lack of goals last season and even the one before.

It was no coincidence that McAllister's first gallop, past the ball, to the byeline and low cross from Trundle's measured pass, saw us open Plymouth up last Tuesday evening.

Talking about togetherness, the dressing room and this group of players, whilst imporatant, has to be tempered with a strategy of constant improvement and, in simple terms, we are no better than last season.Signing one talented young striker at £2.25m won't significantly change things although, it has proved the point about our lack of creativity, guile, cleverness & quality in the final third etc, etc that was trotted out on so many occassions last season it got boring (although spot on & true!)

Yesterday, we had one shot on target in 90 minutes in a game where we had an almost equal share of possession, in fact more in the first half-What does that tell you and that's a similar picture most weeks irrespective of who plays up front.

It can be solved and I have no doubt that we have the funds to do it-More accurately, our Shareholders do, although, in fairness, the fans have more than done their bit with ST Sales and bumper crowds.

Over to you GJ/SL. :city::city:

Agreed and to simply add that retaining possession is paramount in this League and above if we want to progress. Why bother having a midfield if you're simply going to pump the ball long from defence and try to emulate Watford in the early 80's?

the 4-3-2-1 idea with trundle, noble and maynard as the front three is a brilliant idea i think, it will force us to play it around, and we will start playing more attractive and also better football... i can see this working brilliantly especially for maynard as balls into his feet is what he needs not running after hopeful flick ons. :city: ALWAYS BELIEVE

Its 10 games in and GJ and SL will need to sit down and think seriously about their plans for going one better this season which they have both mentioned. I am sure they want to progress to the prem.

They have given the current squad a chance and GJ will know what he needs, I believe we need to sign 2-3 experienced prem players on loan. Loyalty gets you so far and GJ has exhuasted this cause, If most of the fans watching can see we are not creating enough from midfield Gj will also know this because he works on facts and figures in training.

Positive mental attitude starts with being honest with yourself and adressing the negatives, GJ needs to add 3 quality players with prem experience lets all be positive. The current squad has done very well to get the club to this level its time to kick on from here..

LJ needs to be dropped, he's nothing more than a squad player at this level, harsh but true

Yesterday he didn't play a single pass to the front two, most of his passes went to a city defender or a Blade, and since he can't tackle or win headers, what does he bring to the table? We can do without players to make up the numbers

Absolutely right.It is like starting with 10 men when LJ is playing.Particularly when the going gets tough away from home he is nowhere to be seen.Why the hell won't GJ drop him.It must cause some resentment amongst the squad.

[*]Central Midfield General-I can't believe that we missed out on Brian Howard at £500k

I can easily believe it, regardless of the cost. According to another poster we bid > £500K, but he turned us down.

I'm pretty sure he's a yorkshire lad, he was living & playing in Yorkshire, does he go to the Yorkshire club with average attendances > 20K & the ability to pay much higher wages or does he come to us.........

If I was Brian Howard I'd have done the same.

Archived