IGNORED

Boom Boom

Port Said Red

Whichever end of the field they occur, set pieces are an important part of the modern game at any level. With that in mind, I think that the return of McCombe will be a big boost to the team and the confidence of the fans.

Defending set pieces he is a valuable rock, and when attacking through them, he is a potent weapon and a huge distraction for any defence.

I understand, reading back through the threads on here over the last couple of weeks, that he is back in full contact training. So hopefully he will be able to get some match practice in the 2 forthcoming reserve fixtures and be available soon.

I concur! The other week someone was posting that he was the worst player in the squad!

We would have handled Fallon much better with McCombe in the team & I doubt we'd have conceded 3 from set plays.

One thing I think we do need to do though, is horses for courses - play McCombe against the giants & Fontaine against the smaller nippy strikers.

We also had Vasko to cover McCombe's injuries last season, but we haven't got a big CB to cover him this year which perhaps has cost us.

Yeah I quite liked Vasko and he did on the surface seem to get a raw deal. I am not sure why things didn't work out in the end, but someone who met him said that his english didn't seem to have improved much in his time here. Maybe when it came to spending good money on him, that was taken into consideration.

Of course, what I really wish is that Richard Keogh hadn't screwed up so badly......... :disapointed2se:

For too long we have complained about our lack of firepower when it now seems perfectly clear that we have major problems defensively.

If you have a water tight defence, you always have a chance of nicking a goal and coming away with a win. While we are not firing on all cylinders in an attacking sense, this wouldn't be a big concern that we aren't as free scoring as the like of Wolves, Reading etc are at present i.e. 1 goal=3 pts, 4 goals= 3pts

If the defence can stay solid, it always gives you a great opportunity to get a result away from home. I feel GJ should look at this area first, sort it out, and give ourselves a chance instead of going 2-3 goals down, which with our strikeforce at present, would be a mountain to climb

Whichever end of the field they occur, set pieces are an important part of the modern game at any level. With that in mind, I think that the return of McCombe will be a big boost to the team and the confidence of the fans.

Defending set pieces he is a valuable rock, and when attacking through them, he is a potent weapon and a huge distraction for any defence.

I understand, reading back through the threads on here over the last couple of weeks, that he is back in full contact training. So hopefully he will be able to get some match practice in the 2 forthcoming reserve fixtures and be available soon.

We're definately a much better side with Jamie McCombe in the team. He's a colossus at the centre of our defence and can clear our lines well with his trademark heading ability - he's capable of heading the ball clear for almost half the length of the pitch !!!!! He also scored a few very important goals last season. I'll be glad when he's back in the team.

Archived