IGNORED

Why Is Everyone Moaning?

bringbacktherobin

I will probably get shot down for being a pessimist but i think people are going completely overboard.

A few years ago we would have done anything to be 12th in the championship playing against the bigger clubs. Last season we completely overachieved, yes it would have been nice to go up but we are not a Premier League side at the moment maybe in a few years time but not now.

If we finished 12th last season and did the same this season we wouldn't be complaining, its just people thinking that what we achieved last season will be the same. Yes we want city to go up, yes we want city to do well but it isn't that easy. Maybe we should be happy with what we have got, instead of the constant battering of the players and people asking for Gary to be sacked. Gary is the best thing that has happened to this club in a long long time, he is still learning at this level.

Everyone should be enjoying what we have at the moment, not complaining that we are not top and racing ahead.

I will probably get shot down for being a pessimist but i think people are going completely overboard.

A few years ago we would have done anything to be 12th in the championship playing against the bigger clubs. Last season we completely overachieved, yes it would have been nice to go up but we are not a Premier League side at the moment maybe in a few years time but not now.

If we finished 12th last season and did the same this season we wouldn't be complaining, its just people thinking that what we achieved last season will be the same. Yes we want city to go up, yes we want city to do well but it isn't that easy. Maybe we should be happy with what we have got, instead of the constant battering of the players and people asking for Gary to be sacked. Gary is the best thing that has happened to this club in a long long time, he is still learning at this level.

Everyone should be enjoying what we have at the moment, not complaining that we are not top and racing ahead.

GJ and SL are dissapionted so why shouldnt we be,

The club has talked about kicking on from last season, not being happy being an also ran's,

I wish people would stop being content with OK, We have come this far and we need to progress, That is why we have sold more season tickets than ever before and the Directors, management and fans want us to go one better,

Even in the evil post today GJ says, " We need things to turn around. It may be that we need something between fine tuning and a major overhaul. The bar has been raised and thats why supporters moan, I for one want city to progress and not be happy with being mid table.

Said the same thing in another thread last week, but moaners like terjon just come straight back with a whinge.

If we had finished 21st last season we would have accepted it, the fact we massively overachieved was fantastic but has raised the bar.

I'm not happy with the way we've played in the last couple of games.

I'm not happy that the defence which looked so solid last season has started shipping easy goals.

I'm not happy that the midfield isn't up to Championship level.

I'm not happy that we aren't creating enough chances.

Am I happy to be mid table in the Championship, yeah.

Am I happy that GJ has recognised the shortcomings and has made noises about correcting them, yeah.

Am I happy that SL will continue to back GJ, yeah.

Am I happy that GJ has signed a new contract, yeah.

Just remember where we were 3 years ago, where we are now seemed a long, long way off.

For me the goods still far outweigh the bads. But this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm more than happy to read and comment if I feel like it. Would be boring if we all thought the same.

Said the same thing in another thread last week, but moaners like terjon just come straight back with a whinge.

If we had finished 21st last season we would have accepted it, the fact we massively overachieved was fantastic but has raised the bar.

I'm not happy with the way we've played in the last couple of games.

I'm not happy that the defence which looked so solid last season has started shipping easy goals.

I'm not happy that the midfield isn't up to Championship level.

I'm not happy that we aren't creating enough chances.

Am I happy to be mid table in the Championship, yeah.

Am I happy that GJ has recognised the shortcomings and has made noises about correcting them, yeah.

Am I happy that SL will continue to back GJ, yeah.

Am I happy that GJ has signed a new contract, yeah.

Just remember where we were 3 years ago, where we are now seemed a long, long way off.

For me the goods still far outweigh the bads. But this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm more than happy to read and comment if I feel like it. Would be boring if we all thought the same.

To be honest people like me are not moaning, we want the club to progress. According to you the chairman, manager and players are we all moaning aswell, because they have quite clearly stated they expect to go one better this season.

Its time for you guys to stop living in the past, where we were 3 years ago is irrelivant, The club wants promotion thats the facts so if people like you are happy with being a mid-table side and have no ambition may be you should go and watch that lot at horfield.

Here here

I said the same thing last night and got shot down in flames.

To be honest people like me are not moaning, we want the club to progress. According to you the chairman, manager and players are we all moaning aswell, because they have quite clearly stated they expect to go one better this season.

Its time for you guys to stop living in the past, where we were 3 years ago is irrelivant, The club wants promotion thats the facts so if people like you are happy with being a mid-table side and have no ambition may be you should go and watch that lot at horfield.

What a laughable post.

Do you seriously present youself as the forward thinking side of the City support?

The people that are keeping their feet on the ground are precisely the ones who wont panic or get on peoples back during a slump.

Suggesting people "stop living in the past" makes it sound like all of a sudden we're become a club who off the field can compete, the simple fact is we're far behind alot of clubs and without a benevolent chairman wouldn't have a chance.

What a laughable post.

Do you seriously present youself as the forward thinking side of the City support?

The people that are keeping their feet on the ground are precisely the ones who wont panic or get on peoples back during a slump.

Suggesting people "stop living in the past" makes it sound like all of a sudden we're become a club who off the field can compete, the simple fact is we're far behind alot of clubs and without a benevolent chairman wouldn't have a chance.

So in your eyes GJ and SL and most of the players are Laughable too.

In there own words, we expect to go one better, maybe you can explain why they have said this.

I think your right in what you say.

However, the problem is that most people recognise that we have potentially quite a good team who, for what ever reason, are not playing to their potential at the moment.

Its very difficult as football fans to see where it is going wrong on the pitch but can have no real influence over it at all. For that reason, it can come across that people are moaning when in fact, they are venting their frustrations on to one another.

So in your eyes GJ and SL and most of the players are Laughable too.

In there own words, we expect to go one better, maybe you can explain why they have said this.

What do you expect them to say? They're hardly going to come out and say "We fancy midtable" before the season starts, and I suspect will come out with the same rhetoric untill we can't get anywhere if indeed we do struggle to make an impact this year.

In your eyes you might not be moaning, but in my eyes the lack of perspective shown by yourself and others is not balanced with how the team have performed. Were you at Coventry where we looked so assured and took a very good team to pieces? Were you at home to Derby where we took a very good team to pieces in the first half? Were you at Cardiff where we dominated the second half of a pulsating 0-0? All the same team and all the same players as a lot of people are criticising right now. It's a dip in form and a situation that is recoverable, but over the top criticism just doesn't help that process. 'Achievement in unity' is an old but very true statement in my opinion.

I personally am extremely glad that i have optimism and perspective towards Bristol City, because i'm sure it would be a miserable old existence without it.

In your eyes you might not be moaning, but in my eyes the lack of perspective shown by yourself and others is not balanced with how the team have performed. Were you at Coventry where we looked so assured and took a very good team to pieces? Were you at home to Derby where we took a very good team to pieces in the first half? Were you at Cardiff where we dominated the second half of a pulsating 0-0? All the same team and all the same players as a lot of people are criticising right now. It's a dip in form and a situation that is recoverable, but over the top criticism just doesn't help that process. 'Achievement in unity' is an old but very true statement in my opinion.

I personally am extremely glad that i have optimism and perspective towards Bristol City, because i'm sure it would be a miserable old existence without it.

We are all optimistic, basically I have tried to answer the original question which is "why is everyone moaning" I ma trying to explain that people moan because expectation as been risen by the Club and what they have said in the press, I did go to all the games, I believe if the manager and chairman want prem footbal the squad is clearly lacking in quality and depth,

We all support the club are own way, If the club said they would be happy to consolidate this season then you would get the comments on this forum that player A, B or C wasnt good enough, we are merely pionting out the facts.

Just because someone puts on a city shirt it dosnt entitle them to legend status.

End of the day this is a forum and people will have different views, it dosnt make them a happy clapper or an idiot or a moaner, it is their way of expressing their own frustrations.

What do you expect them to say? They're hardly going to come out and say "We fancy midtable" before the season starts, and I suspect will come out with the same rhetoric untill we can't get anywhere if indeed we do struggle to make an impact this year.

So we can't believe what the club is telling us? - or do special people on this forum have the inside track on what's genuine, and what's b***ocks?

Best thing to do is say nothing, because stating we will go one better raises expectations and possibly creates some of the negativity at matches currently.

I simply don't know if this current situation is merely a dip in form, players being unable to punch above their weight again, or GJ getting selection and team structure wrong - nor does anyone else really, which is why most of us accept what we are told by people we trust.

We didnt overachieve last season, we finished exactly where we deserved to.

Saying otherwise only undermimes that achievement and the players themselves.

I assume you meant "undermines"?

Well, we did over achieve, what you are confusing is being there on merit, which we were as a league table after 46 games is the final one, with a club with a very much smaller turnover than many, gates that were 14th highest for the division (both of which were the case for us), but who still finished 4th, well, that's the definition of over achievement to me.

I've read Hull being used as a comparitor, well guess what? They over acheived, too, better ask Norwich (20,000 ST holders!) and Watford, Charlton and Sheffield United, the latter the best supported side last season and the last 3 who all had Prem parachute payments, if they think a side that averaged less than most and came up from League One whether or not we over achieved?

I assume you meant "undermines"?

Well, we did over achieve, what you are confusing is being there on merit, which we were as a league table after 46 games is the final one, with a club with a very much smaller turnover than many, gates that were 14th highest for the division (both of which were the case for us), but who still finished 4th, well, that's the definition of over achievement to me.

I've read Hull being used as a comparitor, well guess what? They over acheived, too, better ask Norwich (20,000 ST holders!) and Watford, Charlton and Sheffield United, the latter the best supported side last season and the last 3 who all had Prem parachute payments, if they think a side that averaged less than most and came up from League One whether or not we over achieved?

But you're stuck in the mindset that the biggest clubs should achieve the most.

Its b***ocks.

Yeah, that's going to sell season tickets - SL, GJ and the players coming out saying they'll be happy with mid table.

Get real mate - I get completely what you're saying, but realisitically there's 15 clubs in this league who will think they can go up, only 3 can. We're still one of the smaller clubs at this level and we're learning. I really don't see the problem with learning to walk before we run.

Doesn't mean I want promotion any less than anyone on here, as for the comments about going to Horfield.....grow up! We've all got opinions and childish remarks like that are pathetic!

Its b***ocks.

Excatly, every one is on a level playing field i don't give a shit how many season tickets bloody Norwhich have sold, its about on the pitch were it matters.

Look at Portsmouth they have a smaller ground then us and are in the Uefa cup, people really need to start believing we are not a small club anymore and we can compete with anyone at this level.

Why is everyone moaning? Cos some people always do! Whatever happens.... I've been watching for 35 years and heard them calling Alan Walsh lazy, Hunter past it, Jacki for being a luxury etc etc etc. They moan if they don't think it's attacking enough and then had a go at T/Cooper's teams for being too wide open playing with 2 wingers! And plenty of people moaned when we were in the old Div 1 - even when we were beating Liverpool in 78 I heard negative comments.

We moaned for years cos we couldn't get into Div 2 / Championship but now that's not good enough. We have had an average start - including good wins V Coventry & Doncaster, decent point at Cardiff, stirring if not pretty fightback v Plymouth, some decent first or second halfs in other games and a couple of really ropey performances. It's a stronger division, we are playing some decent teams with qualities we can admire. There is plenty of work can be done on the formation and style but did anyone think we had the finished article? Can't understand people who are bored by it all!!!

Personally I don't care too much about the moaners (I've got used to ignore the doom & gloom merchants over the years), I'm enjoying it and really it's all those carping who are missing out as they've spent the same money as me and are just unhappy - except for those who are only happy when complaining.

Its b***ocks.

Thanks for your well thought out, reasoned reply.

I suppose as you're already getting "bored" with City I shouldn't really have expected anything else.

Thanks for your well thought out, reasoned reply.

I suppose as you're already getting "bored" with City I shouldn't really have expected anything else.

Perhaps you should write a letter to Ken Bates outlining your disgust that they're languishing in League 1 and not the Premier League where a club of that size deserves.

No one is actually asking for him to be sacked though.

The simple fact is, currently there are certain players in the team that did over-acheive last season, whilst others where more than Excellent and at times almost carried their colleagues. Christ, Come Jan , Elliott was a physical wreck having had to do 2 mans work in midfield for most of the season.

All many are asking is will Gary be willing to make the vital changes and improvements to the team where needed, especially in the long standing problem of a lack of creative midfield to play in midfield with Elliott.......is that too much to ask?

I see a trend here....

All the posters who are moaning at the current situation all joined in 08

All the posters who are chilled out and happy to be in the Championship joined before. :ph34r:

If we only finish mid-table, i can see a few of our "new" fans getting their

Chelsea, Arsenal or Manure shirts back on again!

We are all optimistic, basically I have tried to answer the original question which is "why is everyone moaning" I ma trying to explain that people moan because expectation as been risen by the Club and what they have said in the press, I did go to all the games, I believe if the manager and chairman want prem footbal the squad is clearly lacking in quality and depth,

We all support the club are own way, If the club said they would be happy to consolidate this season then you would get the comments on this forum that player A, B or C wasnt good enough, we are merely pionting out the facts.

Just because someone puts on a city shirt it dosnt entitle them to legend status.

End of the day this is a forum and people will have different views, it dosnt make them a happy clapper or an idiot or a moaner, it is their way of expressing their own frustrations.

I don't believe that you can use expectation as a reason for having a moan at the current goings on. Expectation has risen, but for me it will only ever be a good thing as we are clearly intent on progress as a club and therefore i would not use it as a stick to beat the club with. The current squad isn't up to Birmingham or Wolves standard, but it isn't too far away. You only have to recall the amount of positive comments that we get from the national media, who are essentially neutral, regarding our style of play and the quality of our side to know that we aren't too far away from where the likes of yourself would want us to be. We DO need one or two additions to the squad and i for one think that we possibly tried to make those additions in the summer but they just didn't come off. We have to make them now and therefore i believe that they will happen, sooner rather than later. This will assist in raising player confidence and hopefully will spark a run of great results that will see us bounce back up the table again.

We do all support the club in our own way and i don't for a second expect everyone to be the same as me. I do however like to see a bit of perspective and i personally don't think there is too much of that amongst some City fans at the moment. GJ knows what is required and is going about it in his own unique way and people panicking left right and centre after a few average results won't change a thing that he plans to do.

At the end of the day this is a forum, you're right, and how some people come across DOES make them sound as if they are a happy clapper, an idiot or a moaner. That is human nature i'm afraid and you sound what you sound like. What does annoy me is when people convey there thoughts in a quite clearly moaning way and then get the hump when they get called a moaner.

Your view is your view and my view is my view. We obviously see things differently but i'm damn sure we want the same end result. It's what makes football so provocative and special

People are moaning because they want to see year on year progression. If we'd finished 18th last season (i'd have been happy with that) we'd be happier now. People are also moaning because they see this team and manager as being a really good opportunity to get into the Premier League. And are annoyed/disappointed that there isn't the investment or the willingness of the manager to sign "better" players.

I'm happy, but their are vaguely legitimate reasons to moan compared to last year..but not if you look at the overall picture.

To be honest all the moaners will continue to do so for as long as they follow City and for that reason i think this club will fail to get to the Premier League.

Now I know I'll get abuse for saying that but I have my reasons to say it which are:

before GJ showed up and took over our club we were fighting to get out of league 1 and on the one occasion we did (with John Ward) we got off to a bad start and all the moaners and whiners basically drove him out. I see this happening again because GJ is the best manager we have had in a LONG time.

He has come into this club and got rid of all the players we held on to because they had talent. Now the first responce to that was to get angry at GJ because he was doing the "wrong thing". The moaners moaned as always because all our good talent was leaving and then suddenly he brings in players who werent impressive. then he turns the club around and people realise those good players he got rid of were actually the ones with the wrong attitude and they were holding us back and those players that didnt impress suddenly started to shine.

The moaners always moan about what the current manager is doing wrong and concentrate on it so hard they miss how much he is doing right! This is the reason i think GJ will leave us in a couple of seasons... i think despite his new contrat the moaners will keep moaning and eventually GJ will say "You know what? **** You lot! I've put hard work into this team and got them from being an underacheiving league one team into an established championship team and all I get is abuse!"

It's like me going into Electronic Arts headquaters and ranting about how Fifa 09 has 2 glitches which ruins my game that i am a big fan of and each week standing behind the developers saying "you are doing it wrong!". How would you react if people came into your place of work and picked fault with you every mistake or wrong decision??!!

GJ is the right manager for this club and if people got off his back and stopped moaning every time we never won a game and actually got behind him a little more he'd spend less time shouting back at fans and more time encouraging his players. By moaning about GJ and his choices you are not suporting the club you are being a nuisance and driving doubt into the mind of a man who in 2 seasons made us go from thinking we'd be in league one forever to thinking we should be a Premier League club. If he hadn't of come here we wouldn't have ever imagined we could make it to the Premier League! Now stop mouthing off at how GJ is failing as a manager and start thinking what would happen if he were to leave and the wrong man got his position or else we'll be back in league one wondering what ever happened!!

Archived