IGNORED

New Formation

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

I quite like the formation that Brazil use. There are quite a few prem clubs also using it now as well and i think it would suit our players.

.Basso.............

Orr...........Carey...........Mccombe.McCallister

.............Elliot........Johnson............

........Trundle.....Noble...Mcindoe.........

.......Adebola.........

If we have to chase the game we could swap Johnson with Maynard :noexpression: so it would look like

.....Basso.

Orr,...........Carey.......Mccombe.........Mcallister

.............Elliot..........

...........Noble....Trundle...Mcindoe..........0

.......... ......Maynard.....Adebloa..........

I'm repeating myself here but what the hey. Scolari won a World Cup with 2 deep lying midfield players, Holland used a similar approach in the Euros. Ferguson sometimes uses Hargreaves and Carrick deep, Benitez Alonso and Mascherano. We can argue about personnel and variations in the formation but it does give you a solid base and allows your attacking players more freedom. So why not? No point being obsessed with 4-4-2 unless you have two consistently good wingers.

I was thinking that might be worth a try too, though I had Williams instead of Trundle. It's the formation that Man Utd use a lot.

However, I think getting some confidence back into the players is the most important thing. Playing that formation with our out of form players would result in the same lack of width and incisive passing that has characterised the team of late.

I'm repeating myself here but what the hey. Scolari won a World Cup with 2 deep lying midfield players,

But they played five at the back. Cafu..Roque Junior(yes he won a world cup..), Lucio, Edmilson, Carlos

Brazil up to two matches ago under Dunga played 4-4-2 with two central midfielders lying deep. And two wide players tucked in! It didn't work for them either.

4-2-3-1 is also 4-5-1. 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever worked for us last year. However..if we played 4-5-1 with tucked in wide players it would still be rubbish.

I don't think it matters.but we need more players on the pitch who can keep hold of the ball and pass it and move. I'd like to see a rotating midfield of Williams, Johnson, Elliott, Noble, McIndoe with Trundle up top (no matter how many goals he scores) That sort of team took us to top of the league.

I quite like the formation that Brazil use. There are quite a few prem clubs also using it now as well and i think it would suit our players.

.Basso.............

Orr...........Carey...........Mccombe.McCallister

.............Elliot........Johnson............

........Trundle.....Noble...Mcindoe.........

.......Adebola.........

If we have to chase the game we could swap Johnson with Maynard :noexpression: so it would look like

.....Basso.

Orr,...........Carey.......Mccombe.........Mcallister

.............Elliot..........

...........Noble....Trundle...Mcindoe..........0

.......... ......Maynard.....Adebloa..........

It's more about how to get our game going. Independent of four or five midfielders they must work as a unit under the best possible playmaker.

But they played five at the back. Cafu..Roque Junior(yes he won a world cup..), Lucio, Edmilson, Carlos

Brazil up to two matches ago under Dunga played 4-4-2 with two central midfielders lying deep. And two wide players tucked in! It didn't work for them either.

4-2-3-1 is also 4-5-1. 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever worked for us last year. However..if we played 4-5-1 with tucked in wide players it would still be rubbish.

I don't think it matters.but we need more players on the pitch who can keep hold of the ball and pass it and move. I'd like to see a rotating midfield of Williams, Johnson, Elliott, Noble, McIndoe with Trundle up top (no matter how many goals he scores) That sort of team took us to top of the league.

I don't think Trundle has got the strength to play up front on his own. You have got to have a strong player on his own so he can hold it up and bring the midfield into play,. ala for England Heskey works wheras Defoe doesnt.

Indeed, up to a point. The full backs spent more time in the opposition half than their own! The centre backs, especiallly Lucio, also liked to carry the ball. If one went forward there were always two to cover. Mind you this kind of unorthodox approach seems to be beyond English players.

You have to have control, and the ability to bring others into play. Trundle is reasonably strong IMO. We were top two with a combination of Byfield, Showunmi, Trundle up front. Defoe just isn't good enough. Trundle is better than he was in the first half of last season. I don't see why him being fitter would make it worse than last year. I think dele is also fit enough to do this job. And I hope Akinde will get there too.

I know Brazils full backs were great offensively, but Cafu and Carlos were fantastic defensively too. They were insanely fit and did their job. they let in 4 goals in the entire tournament. 3 of them, when they were playing with one holding midfielder and Juninho in the group stages. 1 against us... And centre halves with ability, it's a big thing. Every international team to win anything has defenders who can play football. We have John Terry as our centre back role model...

Archived