IGNORED

For Any City Fans Down Under..

BS5_RED

This is a question directed at City fans currently in convictland!

Move down there for a 9 month stint at the end of December and obviously am looking forward to it. Spent about 3 weeks there in our summer and was pleased to find that football (refuse to use the s word) is finally making noises down there. Or maybe I was just lucky with my mates! Getting up at 4am to haul myself to the pub and watch Euro games was a bit "different!!!

How do you guys cope without the city fix though?. Whats the tv coverage like? Do you ever get used to the time difference?

Also, any of you adopted a A-League side yet? I've nailed my colours to the Adelaide United flag, given that 1) I'll be living there 2) Agostino plays for them and 3) they are in the final of the Asian Champions League. Anyone been to an A-league game?

Cheers all.

Move down there for a 9 month stint at the end of December and obviously am looking forward to it. Spent about 3 weeks there in our summer and was pleased to find that football (refuse to use the s word) is finally making noises down there. Or maybe I was just lucky with my mates! Getting up at 4am to haul myself to the pub and watch Euro games was a bit "different!!!

How do you guys cope without the city fix though?. Whats the tv coverage like? Do you ever get used to the time difference?

Also, any of you adopted a A-League side yet? I've nailed my colours to the Adelaide United flag, given that 1) I'll be living there 2) Agostino plays for them and 3) they are in the final of the Asian Champions League. Anyone been to an A-league game?

Cheers all.

I hope our very own Australian Zider Red - PHILIP BELGRAVE - gives you a reply.

Cheers all.

Well. I can't speak for all my fellow "convicts", but yes, it can be frustrating not seeing CITY "in the flesh" as it were.

In fact, I have not had the honour of attending a game at Ashton Gate since 2002 !!!!! (You guys who are able to attend games, home and away, really don't know how lucky you are).

There is some spasmodic coverage of the Championship on Subscription TV- and that varies from place to place. There is no free-to-air coverage whatever. The Premier League is well covered ,though- yet another reason, as if we needed more, for CITY to achieve elite status.

The Hull game received a lot of attention,however, and there was quite a respectable band of ex-Bristolians who gathered in a Melbourne Pub at 11.00 pm to see the game on widescreen

So I must content myself mostly with BCFC on the internet and ,of course, reading the words of wisdom on this forum and the Ziderheads

You'll like Adelaide, Like Melbourne, it's dominated by Australian Rules Football which is an acquired taste but not at all bad

once you get the hang of it.

As for "real" football I follow MELBOURNE VICTORY for geographical reasons (and because we have a captain called "Merrick"). The Standard of A-League, is ,perhaps lower Championship standard, less Wolves, Brum and other high-flying clubs, including,obviously, CITY.

Welcome !!

A correction to my previous posting Ernie Merrick is MANAGER of Victory,

Captain is Keith Muscat (ex-Wolves).

Kevin Muscat, now there is someone who deserves to be tagged a convict!

How was it he completely knackered a few years ago when playing for Wolves, or was it Palace?

Thug!

Maybe one for Mr Belgrave here - I got quite in to Aussie Rules years ago when it was on C4, followed the Fitzroy Lions - are they any good nowadays?

Kevin Muscat, now there is someone who deserves to be tagged a convict!

How was it he completely knackered a few years ago when playing for Wolves, or was it Palace?

Thug!

Maybe one for Mr Belgrave here - I got quite in to Aussie Rules years ago when it was on C4, followed the Fitzroy Lions - are they any good nowadays?

(I really stuffed-up the names didn't I ? Kevin Muscat obviously)

Fitroy Lions are no longer domiciled in Melburne (Fitzroy is a Melbourne Suburb) but were moved as complete entity to Brisbane and are now the "Brisbane Lions". After some years of success, last season was a mediocre effort for them- 10th.in a league of sixteen.

There is an perpetual tussle for the Hearts and Minds of Australian football fans. Australian Rules is paramount in the Southern states, while Rugby League is , historically, the dominent code in N.S.W.and Queensland. The Australian Rules Governing Body have physically moved two teams from Melbourne into the Northern States to try to attract more adherents. Fitzroy were moved to Brisbane, while the team that was formerly "South Melbourne" is now the "Sydney Swans".

Conversely , as a counter-weight, the Rugby League people set up a team in Melbourne: The "Melbourne Storm" who have done perhaps rather too well:- at least as far as the Sydney people are concerned.

It is frequently forecast that the round-ball code will, eventually ,eclipse them all. While the"A" League, as I mentioned previously,hovers between Championship and League 1 standard Australia is increasingly producing highly talented players who, inevitably, go to Europe to further their careers.

Hence the Australian National team is far better than the standard of the local League might suggest.

It is frequently forecast that the round-ball code will, eventually ,eclipse them all. While the"A" League, as I mentioned previously,hovers between Championship and League 1 standard Australia is increasingly producing highly talented players who, inevitably, go to Europe to further their careers.

Hence the Australian National team is far better than the standard of the local League might suggest.

(I really stuffed-up the names didn't I ? Kevin Muscat obviously)

Fitroy Lions are no longer domiciled in Melburne (Fitzroy is a Melbourne Suburb) but were moved as complete entity to Brisbane and are now the "Brisbane Lions". After some years of success, last season was a mediocre effort for them- 10th.in a league of sixteen.

There is an perpetual tussle for the Hearts and Minds of Australian football fans. Australian Rules is paramount in the Southern states, while Rugby League is , historically, the dominent code in N.S.W.and Queensland. The Australian Rules Governing Body have physically moved two teams from Melbourne into the Northern States to try to attract more adherents. Fitzroy were moved to Brisbane, while the team that was formerly "South Melbourne" is now the "Sydney Swans".

Conversely , as a counter-weight, the Rugby League people set up a team in Melbourne: The "Melbourne Storm" who have done perhaps rather too well:- at least as far as the Sydney people are concerned.

Thanks for that Phillip! Go Brisbane Lions!

Where does cricket come in the big scheme of things over there?

(

(Sorry mods not City related I know)

Nicky Carle being one...........(ducks for cover)

Having spoken to my football loving Aussie mates it seems that the FFA/A-League was very clever in moving football to the summer where it does not have to compete with AFL or the Rugby League. Although Aussies do love their cricket, they seem to be fairly similar to English cricket fans in that domestic crowds are no more than ordinary, and football is definitely seizing on this gap.

There is still a perception that football is soft/all fans are hooligans/"ethnic" (w-word) although seems to be more prevalent in people about 35 up and thankfully this is fading away - moving the national team to the Asian Confederation and removing the old ethnic clubs from the league (South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Sydney Olympic/Marconi/Croatia etc) has helped with this and is attracting new people to the "world game".

They are having a laugh in they think they are getting the 2018 WC though.

:englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Thanks for that Phillip! Go Brisbane Lions!

Where does cricket come in the big scheme of things over there?

You're welcome.

When it comes to Australian Rules , I'm a COLLINGWOOD, supporter myself. They are the the "Magpies" ,who play in Black and White Stripes a la Newcastle United . Interestingly, the Melbourne suburb of Collingwood was named after Admiral Sir Cuthbert Collingwood, who was Nelson's No.2 at the Battle of Trafalgar- and Collingwood was a Northumberland man, so historically, it all falls into place.

Mind you, I only attended one game last year.

The local Cricket season has commenced with the inter-state competition, the Sheffield Shield , now underway. At the moment though ,we are watching an impending disaster unfold in India.

It looks like the era of Australian pre-eminence in the sport is drawing to a close.

Which means the the up-coming Ashes Tour (I'm strictly neutral) should be full of interest.

You're welcome.

When it comes to Australian Rules , I'm a COLLINGWOOD, supporter myself. They are the the "Magpies" ,who play in Black and White Stripes a la Newcastle United . Interestingly, the Melbourne suburb of Collingwood was named after Admiral Sir Cuthbert Collingwood, who was Nelson's No.2 at the Battle of Trafalgar- and Collingwood was a Northumberland man, so historically, it all falls into place.

Mind you, I only attended one game last year.

The local Cricket season has commenced with the inter-state competition, the Sheffield Shield , now underway. At the moment though ,we are watching an impending disaster unfold in India.

It looks like the era of Australian pre-eminence in the sport is drawing to a close.

Which means the the up-coming Ashes Tour (I'm strictly neutral) should be full of interest.

That was a reason I didn't choose Collingwood when I started watching AR, they looked like Newcastle!

And yes, the cricket is a real disaster at the moment - would be nice to think we're taking them on with a more level playing field next summer. I managed to see the great Aussie team in 2001, Waugh, McGrath, Gilchrist, Warne etc - what a team, even as the most passionate English guy going you had to admire them guys. And to be honest, I hope you beat the Indians, but not looking good! Must be a while since there was 2 double centuries against the Baggy Greens in the same innings (Laxman is 196* as I write this, so he might not get there!)

Archived