IGNORED

No Goal Threat

GrahamC

At the risk of stating the obvious whatever happens in the final two (or four, or five) games our failings this season can be put down to a complete lack of goals.

Before anyone thinks that this is yet another anti Peacock rant, the simple fact is it's down to the whole team.

I've read criticism recently of Phillips, Carey, Hill and especially Butler, but it's missing the point, we've kept clean sheets against Plymouth, QPR and Brighton and have far and away the best defensive record in the division so from that point of view they can hardly do more. What the back four could contribute is a few more goals, they have managed just 5 between them all this season, contrast that to Plymouth's centre backs, Coughlan and Wotton who have scored 16 and even mediocre players like Andy Gurney who has 9 on his own.

In midfield it's no better, Tinman, Tommy and Wilkshire have managed two each, which is absolutely pitiful for the number of games they've played, Mickey Bell hasn't managed any and only scored once last season as well. Yes, I know he hasn't been a first choice that much, but he's started over 20 games so should have chipped in with a few by now.

Up front Peacock did start the season with a bang, managing 7 in his first 10 and had 14 by Xmas, but to add 2 in his last 17 speaks for itself, Miller has also contributed far too few, 8 in 40 appearances whether he started, came on as sub or was subbed is just not enough, likewise Christian's 4 league goals, even when on the wing or a regular sub, despite the recent flurry is simply not good enough for the games he's played.

I'm sure replies will look to exonerate the favourite player of whoever posts, but who has honestly scored their fair share? maybe Aaron with 5 in two thirds of a season is an improvement for him, Goodfellow certainly has, though it is difficult to incorporate someone so lightweight into a pattern of play and Leroy Lita also has a case.

I believe that the answer does not come from within our present large squad, who ever is in charge next season and whatever division we're in, the only question that should be asked of any summer signing, whether defender, midfielder or striker is what number of goals can we reasonable expect them to score and don't put pressure on the likes of Gillespie, this has to be players who have done it in the past, not who may do in the future.

Agree pretty much totally, although i think to say we have far and away the best defence is a bit ptimistic, haven't we only conceeded 4-5 less than Plymouth ? Or was that before the Oldham incident ?

But i do agree. The thing that annoys me most, is that i would love to say that our strikers are simply not good enough, but i can't, because we haven't seen the one partnership with any real promise allowed to play, Roberts and Miller. Yes i agree that they should both have more goals, but considering Willson seems to do all in his power to destroy their confidence, by constantly bringing them off when someone has been worse, having them in and out of the side, he is doing nothing for their confidence, while at the same time slowly chipping away at Peacocks by continually playing him when he is not scoring.

Archived