IGNORED

Help Needed To Settle Argument

stick

please help settle a barny

can anyone remember the reasons GJ gave for letting Nick Carle go ?

i am convinced SL stated at the open day, that GJ said he wanted to build a midfield around Gavin Williams as goal scoring midfielder and that NC was more defensive.

the father in law says the same thing but the player was Lee Johnson

please help settle this before the wife kills me for having the gall to disagree with her father !

any links to posts / comments appreciated

cheers

there has been no definate reason found or understood.

The only written comments, were from Neil Warnock who stated that we needed to sell a player because we needed the money to sign a forward, and that Gary didn't feel he needed Carle as he wanted to build the team around LJ.

There is a newspaper report on it somewhere from when Palace signed Carle.

I don't know what was said at the open day but my understanding was that the player we thought we signed didn't resemble the player we actually signed, ie we didn't get what we expected. I also understood we had a replacement lined up but for whatever reason he didn't sign, and it wasn't Gavin Williams.

I wouldn't trust Colin to be accurate in his newspaper interviews either. We had not long done battle with him and he must have got some satisfaction from stirring.

Just my opinion, I know nothing (much).

please help settle a barny

can anyone remember the reasons GJ gave for letting Nick Carle go ?

i am convinced SL stated at the open day, that GJ said he wanted to build a midfield around Gavin Williams as goal scoring midfielder and that NC was more defensive.

the father in law says the same thing but the player was Lee Johnson

please help settle this before the wife kills me for having the gall to disagree with her father !

any links to posts / comments appreciated

cheers

The reason was that we needed money to by a striker, did not wan't to lose Elliott and had a fair offer for Carle, a position decently covered with Noble and Johnson.

Warnock said on an interview; "and his boy is fit again now".

We simply tried to strengthen the team.

I don't know what was said at the open day but my understanding was that the player we thought we signed didn't resemble the player we actually signed, ie we didn't get what we expected. I also understood we had a replacement lined up but for whatever reason he didn't sign, and it wasn't Gavin Williams.

I wouldn't trust Colin to be accurate in his newspaper interviews either. We had not long done battle with him and he must have got some satisfaction from stirring.

Just my opinion, I know nothing (much).

Thta's exactly what Steve said.

There is another 'theory' doing the rounds, that he isnt the most professional off the pitch and 'enjoys' time away from the training ground. This is simply another rumour, and is not necessarlily from reliable sources, but is does seem strange that we'd track a player for so long and then let him go again so quickly. Surely we knew what sort of player we were getting? If not, are our scouts doing there job properly?

There is another 'theory' doing the rounds, that he isnt the most professional off the pitch and 'enjoys' time away from the training ground. This is simply another rumour, and is not necessarlily from reliable sources, but is does seem strange that we'd track a player for so long and then let him go again so quickly. Surely we knew what sort of player we were getting? If not, are our scouts doing there job properly?

Well it was Pete Johnson who first spotted him playing for OZ and recommended him to Gary, considering the amount of digging Gary does on players personalities I'd find it amazing and very much a case of double standard if it was too do with "off field professionalism"

Firstly that's not the Oz way for their athletes, they way they are brought up into sport, it's just not their way.

Secondly the main reason he left Turkey, was because he didn't get to see his family enough

and finally, how could you let a player leave for "social behaviour" and then happily give other players new contracts dispite similar "rumoured" behavior.

Personally, I've not heard anything that makes sense apart from.......we needed the money to get a forward.

Well it was Pete Johnson who first spotted him playing for OZ and recommended him to Gary, considering the amount of digging Gary does on players personalities I'd find it amazing and very much a case of double standard if it was too do with "off field professionalism"

Firstly that's not the Oz way for their athletes, they way they are brought up into sport, it's just not their way.

I played club cricket with or against a fair number of Aussie current/future/past first class and Test Players and I can assure you you're talking out of your hat! One who is a current (although not on the current India tour) Test Player is banned from at least 3 English Cricket Leagues due to both on and off field indiscretions. They tended to play hard both on and off the field.

I played club cricket with or against a fair number of Aussie current/future/past first class and Test Players and I can assure you you're talking out of your hat! One who is a current (although not on the current India tour) Test Player is banned from at least 3 English Cricket Leagues due to both on and off field indiscretions. They tended to play hard both on and off the field.

I said atheletes........cricketers aren't atheletes, cricket isn't even a real sport!

Let's be honest, they just stand around all day, playing catch, enjoying the sunshine and eating lots of sandwiches.........harsh but fair I believe, I mean come on, what other sport has a "break for tea/lunch"

After all the trouble the club went to getting Nick Carle I'm amazed we let him go so easily and to one of our fiercest rivals in this division. Pete Johnson seems to be an excellent scout and has brought some excellent players to this club and often at bargain prices. Pete Johnson seems to have started with the defence by strengthening that area and in Nick Carle I'd really thought he'd brought in a central midfielder to provide real strength in depth to this area.

I said atheletes........cricketers aren't atheletes, cricket isn't even a real sport!

Let's be honest, they just stand around all day, playing catch, enjoying the sunshine and eating lots of sandwiches.........harsh but fair I believe, I mean come on, what other sport has a "break for tea/lunch"

.... :worship2::dancing6: cheshire_red wont like that comment, he'll have steam shooting out his ears when he reads that. :rofl2br:

After all the trouble the club went to getting Nick Carle I'm amazed we let him go so easily and to one of our fiercest rivals in this division. Pete Johnson seems to be an excellent scout and has brought some excellent players to this club and often at bargain prices. Pete Johnson seems to have started with the defence by strengthening that area and in Nick Carle I'd really thought he'd brought in a central midfielder to provide real strength in depth to this area.

Carle's gone whether we like it or not, and possibly for reasons we will never fully know, and we just have to accept that.

What I want to know is what happened to the replacement we had lined up ( not Williams, he was an opportunistic extra signing ) and will he or similar be heading to the Gate in January? :dunno:

What I want to know is what happened to the replacement we had lined up ( not Williams, he was an opportunistic extra signing ) and will he or similar be heading to the Gate in January? :dunno:

Battling, tough tackling midfielders are hard to find at decent prices - so a genuine replacement will be tough to find. We've got Marvellous Marvin but there's no real cover for him when he's injured. Everyone that remembers us from our top flight days remembers Gerry Gow and you can only count on one hand the amount of players that have been anywhere near as good as him in midfield in the last 30 years.

Battling, tough tackling midfielders are hard to find at decent prices - so a genuine replacement will be tough to find. We've got Marvellous Marvin but there's no real cover for him when he's injured. Everyone that remembers us from our top flight days remembers Gerry Gow and you can only count on one hand the amount of players that have been anywhere near as good as him in midfield in the last 30 years.

Not surprising really as we've spent all those 28 years since Gow left in the lower divisions. Gow had been in the City team for 4 or 5 years by the time we went up and was one of the players who not only took the First Division in his stride, but by storm.

The surprise was that nobody snapped him up before we went up, and more of a shock to him when Man. City did later on as he seemed to go grey overnight.

We'll never find another Gerry Gow - being from Glasgow it's a bit of a mystery how he ended up at City as a youngster in the first place - but I'd love to know which battler we had lined up to replace Carle and still hope whatever stalled the deal in the Summer can yet be overcome.

Other than that, perhaps we should reinforce our scouting network north of the border, there may be more of the likes of Gow and the great Tom Ritchie waiting to take their places in City folklore. :city:

We'll never find another Gerry Gow - being from Glasgow it's a bit of a mystery how he ended up at City as a youngster in the first place

It had something to do with the excellent scouting network Alan Dicks set up to trawl Scotland and the North. In the side Gerry Gow played in there was also Tom Richie and Gerry Sweeny signed from Scotland along with John Shaw and Jimmy Mann from Leeds. We even broke our transfer record to sign Tony Fitzpatrick from St.Mirren. But back then Scotland was the Eastern Europe of football, quality players cheaper than you could buy in Engalnd.

Not surprising really as we've spent all those 28 years since Gow left in the lower divisions. Gow had been in the City team for 4 or 5 years by the time we went up and was one of the players who not only took the First Division in his stride, but by storm.

The surprise was that nobody snapped him up before we went up, and more of a shock to him when Man. City did later on as he seemed to go grey overnight.

We'll never find another Gerry Gow - being from Glasgow it's a bit of a mystery how he ended up at City as a youngster in the first place - but I'd love to know which battler we had lined up to replace Carle and still hope whatever stalled the deal in the Summer can yet be overcome.

Other than that, perhaps we should reinforce our scouting network north of the border, there may be more of the likes of Gow and the great Tom Ritchie waiting to take their places in City folklore. :city:

Gow was one of several Scottish lads who came down at the same time as youths. Others included Tom and Steve Ritchie.

My mum used to work in dry cleaners in North St and the young Gow was a regular customer. He always struck her as being very shy.

It had something to do with the excellent scouting network Alan Dicks set up to trawl Scotland and the North. In the side Gerry Gow played in there was also Tom Richie and Gerry Sweeny signed from Scotland along with John Shaw and Jimmy Mann from Leeds. We even broke our transfer record to sign Tony Fitzpatrick from St.Mirren. But back then Scotland was the Eastern Europe of football, quality players cheaper than you could buy in Engalnd.

Jimmy Mann wasn't Scottish surely? :dunno:

On the Scottish signings front, don't forget Donnie Gillies from Morton who scored incredibly important goals at Leeds and Coventry, and although Fitszpatrick was a huge disappointment Peter Cormack always oozed class in a City shirt.

City could do alot worse than resurrect that trawl for promising Scottish youths.

Gow was one of several Scottish lads who came down at the same time as youths. Others included Tom and Steve Ritchie.

My mum used to work in dry cleaners in North St and the young Gow was a regular customer. He always struck her as being very shy.

The story goes that it was Steve Ritchie City were really interested in and Tom only came down to keep him company and stop his brother from feeling homesick.

Steve never made any impact of course whereas the makeweight, yet skinny, Tom became a City legend.

City could do alot worse than resurrect that trawl for promising Scottish youths.

It would be great if we could find a tough tackling Bristolian midfielder. Louis Carey's Bristolian but a defender, a Bristolian midfield equivalent of Louis Carey would be ideal. These days any Glaswegian lad anywhere near good enough for us would be snapped up by Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers. We'd need a hell of a big trawl through Scotland to find anyone like a young Gerry Gow before the big Glasgow clubs get him first.

Apparently we sold him cos he's not even good enough to get in the Palace team..

:tumbleweed:

He was signed a replacement for Ben Watson (who ended up not getting sold......yet)

and he's played the large majority of games this season, so clearly is good enough for the palace first team.

Not forgetting other Scots, Don Gillies or even Mark McGee, who we released but subsequently made the grade at a few other clubs including Newcastle.

It would be great if we could find a tough tackling Bristolian midfielder. Louis Carey's Bristolian but a defender, a Bristolian midfield equivalent of Louis Carey would be ideal. These days any Glaswegian lad anywhere near good enough for us would be snapped up by Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers. We'd need a hell of a big trawl through Scotland to find anyone like a young Gerry Gow before the big Glasgow clubs get him first.

Funnily enough, I don't think the old firm get all the players - I saw a 17 year old playing for Hamilton on the telly last night, with dozens of first team games under his belt, and about to be in Trappatoni's next Irish squad (chose them over his homeland)

We used to have a tough tackling Bristolian midfielder, but the mention of Tommy Doc generates a LJ debate!

Gow came into the team as a youngster to replace Bobby Kellard, who was for me the best midfielder I ever saw play in a city shirt. A player who could take a game by the scruff off the neck and run the midfield, just like our current, um um.............

Maybe, but wasn't that always the case?

Many of the youngsters at Celtic, in particular, seem to come from Ireland.

"Gritty" players like Gow probably wouldn't make it to the top these days anyway due to the modern day clampdown on tough tackling.

You've got to say alot of the local Bristol youngsters who've surfaced through the Academy seem skilful enough but perhaps lack real fire in their bellies in a competitive sense.

Whether this is a Bristolian trait I've no idea, but I can't think a real firebrand from Bristol since Doherty to come through the youth system.

He was signed a replacement for Ben Watson (who ended up not getting sold......yet)

and he's played the large majority of games this season, so clearly is good enough for the palace first team.

If for instance (plucking a player from thin air) Lee Johnson was sold to Palace, he started the season, got subbed often, then got subbed at half time in what their manager described as their worst performance of the season (Forest away) & was then on the bench............. would you say that clearly showed he's good enough for the palace first team too ??

I think your view that Carle will grace the Prem may have been a tad OTT.

If for instance (plucking a player from thin air) Lee Johnson was sold to Palace, he started the season, got subbed often, then got subbed at half time in what their manager described as their worst performance of the season (Forest away) & was then on the bench............. would you say that clearly showed he's good enough for the palace first team too ??

I think your view that Carle will grace the Prem may have been a tad OTT.

If you take a look at this Palace forum thread it looks as though he is suffering from being played out of position, just like he was here, before LJ got injured and he was able to play in his preferred position. Then he looked superb.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/TVNews/0,,10327...10%2C00.html%3F

Archived