IGNORED

Tony Fawthrops Departure As Manager

Eddie

Rather a random question but I was just thinking back to Tony Fawthrop's tenure as manager. I seem to remember him leaving under a bit of a cloud.

Could anyone expand on this as I can't for the life of me think why he left, as I seem to remember he was doing a pretty good job at the time.

• Admin
Rather a random question but I was just thinking back to Tony Fawthrop's tenure as manager. I seem to remember him leaving under a bit of a cloud.

Could anyone expand on this as I can't for the life of me think why he left, as I seem to remember he was doing a pretty good job at the time.

The Evening Post reported something about his financial background which snowballed into his sacking if I recall correctly.

wasn't he going to make his fortune from writing the "definitive coaching guide" or am I thinking of someone else?

So was it similar to Dave Jones's sacking at Southampton where conjecture from the press led to his position being untenable?

So was it similar to Dave Jones's sacking at Southampton where conjecture from the press led to his position being untenable?

Not similar in my opinion. Jones was charged with child abuse and had to take time off to prepare for the case (which was held in merseyside). He was suspended on full pay during that period. I think Saints decided against reinstating him because of the length of time to complete the case and that Glenn Hoddle did a good job in the interim. Jones had his contract paid up in full, so I wouldn't really call it a sacking.

Not similar in my opinion. Jones was charged with child abuse and had to take time off to prepare for the case (which was held in merseyside). He was suspended on full pay during that period. I think Saints decided against reinstating him because of the length of time to complete the case and that Glenn Hoddle did a good job in the interim. Jones had his contract paid up in full, so I wouldn't really call it a sacking.

I was under the impression that Fawthrop wasn't sacked though, he resigned. So similar to Dave Jones as both were given a gentle push out of the club

The whole saga was also a very convenient way of getting rid of "flip-flop" whose appointment left most City fans pretty dismayed. It was well know that Scott Davidson was desparate to get Peter Taylor afte being overuled by the board, when Taylor and Pulis (and David Moyes) had been shortlisted by the board the year before. That is why the caretaker trio were appointed, as SD was so confident of getting PT on board at the end of the season and PT seemed up for it too.

Unfortunately Martin O'Neil went to Celtic leaving a vacancy at Leicester, and it soon became quite clear that that was where PT would be heading once Gillingham's season was over (they eventually won the play-off final). So just before the end of the season Fawthrope was appointed, and most fans were under-whelmed by the appointment to say the least.

His new appointment was announced to the crowd just before the final Home game of the season against Preston, who were already promoted (guess who their manager was?). The announcement was greeted by a mixture of indifferent silence and a smattering of polite applause.

Fearing a fans backlash, Scott must have been over the moon when the story came to light, and once TF had been removed from the post, SD set out to get a "proper" name manager.

Enter Danny Wilson :noexpression:

I was under the impression that Fawthrop wasn't sacked though, he resigned. So similar to Dave Jones as both were given a gentle push out of the club

I didn't suggest that Fawthrop was sacked. The two scenario's are totally different - one bloke decided to leave his job voluntarily while the other was simply not available to do his job for the best part of a year. Southampton gave Jones every chance but he just took too long to get his affairs straightened out.....more a case of 'not being let back in' than being 'pushed out'.

Tony Fawthrop was hounded out of his job by an over zealous press in my opinion. His only crime appeared to be financing a business venture where he became a silent partner (to protect his investment) and the other partner duped some elderly people.

As they say be careful who you lend money to, especially if you are City's manager.

Of course, if you should steal a rugby ground from a TRUST that's ok just good business.

Archived