IGNORED

Assumptions

Port Said Red

I saw this article ....

Magee

and I thought what a great opportunity for the lad to learn the art of striking from a legend like Steve Bull.

Then I had a look at the Conference North table to see how Stafford are doing.

Conference North

8th and 3 points off a play off place, not bad. But wait, that can't be right can it? A team managed by Steve Bull has only scored 8 goals in 16 matches! and only 2 in 8 at home!

I can't help thinking that, on the face of it, SB may have been a great goalscorer but struggles to coach that ability in others. He seems good at getting the defence right though which may seem odd but there are other examples.

I never saw Alex Ferguson play, but those that did say he was a dour, hard working centre forward yet, love them or hate them you could hardly call Manure boring. George Graham was a lovely player to watch, a real playmaker and yet presided over a period in Arsenals history when they considered changing their name to "Arsenal 1" and "one nil to the Arsenal" was the only chant they had.

It makes me wonder what sort of football some of our current players would have the team playing if they were managers.

Its almost imposible to predict. There is talk on another thread about Scott Murray becoming a manager, but I just can't see it, who knows?

Could anyone have picked out Steve McLaren as future England manager when he was plying his trade with us as just an average lower league journeyman player? Come to that, could anyone have picked him out as the England Manager when he was stood underneath his brolly in the match against Croatia :englandsmile4wf:

The most intriguing thing is the way that the style of football changes when the player becomes the boss, there are so many examples, but my favourite example of this is when Glen Hoddle, one of England's most creative and skillfull midfield players (2nd only to Paul Gascoine in the modern era) picked David Batty to go to the World Cup in France 98, but left Gazza at home.

Many of the best managers come from modest achievers on the pitch (our own manager comes to mind). My personal all-time favourite manager, Brian Clough, gained a few England caps but his managerial exploits far overshadowed his short playing career. Perhaps it is no surprise that the likes of Gazza and Paul Merson never cut it in management, yet the likes of model pros and England World Cup winners Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore fared no better.

Bring on Diego!! :tumbleweed: you never know :innocent06:

My personal all-time favourite manager, Brian Clough, gained a few England caps but his managerial exploits far overshadowed his short playing career.

The interesting thing to note about Clough was that his entire managerial success was driven by revenge. He was a very bitter man, at least that's the potrayal in 'The Damned United' chronicaling his 44 days stop at Leeds (coming out on film soon). He was pissed off that despite having the best goals/game (251/274) ratio in English Football he played only twice for England allegedly due to Ramsay thinking he was a #####, he was pissed off that he never played top flight Football and he was pissed off because his career was cut short due to cruciate ligament damage. Still, don't suppose Nottingham Forest fans are complaining!

Replying to the topic: think there's little correlation between playing success/style and managerial success (or lack of it).

Archived