IGNORED

Why No Wilson On The Bench?

headhunter

Never mind the strange absence of Carey from the 16 or the fact that we have a loan defender in Webster who's our very own 'sick note', but why was James Wilson left out of the squad yesterday.

GJ brings our promising young defender into the squad for the game at Southampton and even gives him a brief run out in that game then he's nowhere to be seen.

The whole bench yesterday was unbalanced with too many forwards - "I've signed them so I must include them" was what I thought must have been in GJ'S mind. In reality he should have left out Maynard and named Wilson as the defensive sub but then, hang on, didn't we pay £2.25m for the kid from Crewe so that would look really bad if he was left out with the £1.2M Trundle. Do not both these signings prompt the opinion that a grave error of judgement has been made in spending £3.5m+ of Mr.Lansdown's money?

I must mention Sproule in all of this: an impact player according to GJ. 54 appearances [36,+18 as sub] and 3 goals. Another waste of money who strikes about as much fear into opposing defenders as a dead sheep!

Any forward signing is "a Waste of money" It is no coincidence that so many strikers cannot score goals for us, eventually stop placing the blame withthem and look at the lack of service/support/crosses they get

I assume Wilson not on bench as Skuse could cover a number of positions across the back and midfield plus we already had 5 midfielders on the bench .

Any forward signing is "a Waste of money" It is no coincidence that so many strikers cannot score goals for us, eventually stop placing the blame withthem and look at the lack of service/support/crosses they get

I assume Wilson not on bench as Skuse could cover a number of positions across the back and midfield plus we already had 5 midfielders on the bench .

Skuse is a utility player like Wilson, a square peg for a round hole when we don't have cover. Except in this instance we did. James Wilson is a good enough centre back and should have been in yesterday's squad after his substitute appearance at St Marys last week, not to mention Carey's mysterious absence.

Playing Skuse against a resurgent Nathan Tyson was a huge mistake by Gary.

I think Skuse just showed that he can't cover across the back.

I think if you had a conversation with GJ he would admit that not having Wilson on the bench probably cost the three points after waching him this season i am sure Tyson would not have bullied him as easy as he did CS,

but in GJ deffence he was not to know that Boom Boom was going to go off so early in the game and i suspect he wanted CS on the bench for when DN ran out of staem,

The other fact is we have too many stickers at the club especialy as nome of them seem to be hitting the back of the net on a consistant basis

Skuse is a utility player like Wilson, a square peg for a round hole when we don't have cover. Except in this instance we did. James Wilson is a good enough centre back and should have been in yesterday's squad after his substitute appearance at St Marys last week, not to mention Carey's mysterious absence.

Playing Skuse against a resurgent Nathan Tyson was a huge mistake by Gary.

I am sure GJ would agree with that and put his hand up and say he made a mistake with the bench selection

I don't think it was that bad of a mistake?

Are people saying they would rather have totally unproven James Wilson playing in that Position over Skuse?

alot of people forget that he made his debut in that position a few years back and was man of the match and I recall at the time him saying after the game, that it was his best position, however since then for whatever reason he's played in midfield.

Yes, he got caught out for the goal, against a very pacey Tyson, but would young Wilson done much better, too be honest looking at the goal, would Carey or McCombe done much better?

After the goal however he did look very solid at the back, making a few good interceptions and some decent passing. To be honest, I almost prefer him there to Central Midfield.

Archived