IGNORED

Noble, Trundle, Carey And

NickJ

I agree with much of what Nick says here. I'm starting to find some of the team selection and substitutions fairly confusing.

It seems to me that we look most threatening when we play the ball on the floor with quick movement, and we seem to do that best with Trundle and/or Noble in the side. When neither of those players is on the pitch it seems to me that our attacking play is very one dimensional and ends up more often than not with low percentage longs balls at Dele. How many goals have those actually resulted in?

I'd really like to see a team that included Noble and Maynard, Noble's incisive short passing around the final third (as opposed to LJ's deeper and longer range passing) is exactly the sort of service I think Maynard would thrive on. I'd also think it's worthwhile playing Trundle off the bench in that advanced midfield role if Noble tires or gets injured again or even starting him to encourage us to pass better.

Lee Johnson had an excellent first half on Saturday - some of his passes from deep were immense. I thought he vanished in the second half, particularly after we went 442, and it does look to me like at this level his lack of a defensive game leaves us very stretched if we play him in the middle of a 442. He's too easy for opposition players to stride past and doesn't mark well. 451 gives him time and space, but can we really persist with that at home when we have 6 strikers? We're not scoring enough goals as it is.

That being said I was not surprised to see us line up the same way against Forest as we did against Southampton because GJ has always favoured making no changes after a good result. I think we need to be more flexible however. If Carey was fit, I would think he should have played because Forest's game plan of quick counter attacking was predictable and against pace like that McCombe isn't ideal. Not having a defender on the bench was an avoidable mistake IMO.

I think for the upcoming away game I'd stick with 451, the same side other than hopefully with Carey and McAllister back in the XI and a bench of both Wilsons, Weale, Trundle and John. At home I'd rather see us start with a 442 with Noble and Elliott in the middle and Trundle and Maynard up front and try to play the ball on the floor much much more. Use Dele and LJ as subs if we need to be more direct but don't start like that from the outset.

It certainly didn't come across to me as that.

Like you I'm a great supporter of GJ, however some things need to be said, both by supporters on here and by GJ himself.

For someone who is required, by the very nature of his job and the ever present pressure of the modern media, to constantly provide comments and quotes, GJ leaves an awful lot unsaid.

Thus there is intrigue regarding any number of situations and players. High quality performers like Noble and Trundle should surely be featuring more in a team which so often struggles to be creative.

Long may there be posters on here with both the passion for the club and the eloquence displayed in your original post to pose the questions and articulate the feelings and misgivings of many fans.

An excellent post, of which there have been all too few recently. :clap:

yes it was an excellent post and said what most people want to say and felt should be said other clubs can qustion there managers and thay are top clubs me I'm glad the points where brought up..at the end of the day that person i know watch bristol city week in week out home and away so say what you feel and what you see...we got five years of this

As Nibor well said its getting to the point where many starting to find some of the team selections and substitutions fairly confusing, and personally I find it interesting that even he's starting to question?

regardless of any other players, majority we look MUCH more dangerous and creative with Noble and/or Trundle on the pitch and I feel we need at least one of them on the pitch at all times, fair enough if Nobes can't do 90mins, but surely the PERFECT replacement for him is Trundle, I'd love to see Maynard on the end of some of the passing and through balls that he could receive from Maynard, but who knows what it will take for them to be on the pitch at the same time.

It's also a case of another week another dig from Johnson, seriously perhaps he should be spending his time getting his team performing, rather than worrying about what we have to say, though, again......it seems we are not allowed a view till the end of the season, perhaps Gary doesn't want fans at the gate and just mindless drones who agree with everything he does and ignores things that he may do wrong or that we disagree with,

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/sport/f...il/article.html

Questioned about his tactics in the wake of Saturday's 2-2 draw with Forest, Johnson issued an emphatic defence of his team selection and deployment.

"You have to have belief in your players and the way you're trying to play and I believe this is the best way for us," declared the boss.

"It's easy for Championship managers sat at home to pick the team, but they should trust me, see where we are at the end of the season and then judge us."

any I the only one getting fed up of these pointless comments from him? your job is to manage Gary, not have a pop at the Fans, also despite my general dislike of the local papers, I'm glad this reporter has actually looked at views on here and asked the question why?

Next Week, please could you ask if he can remember who Lee Trundle is?

Ta

Whether Gary likes it or not a return of only two wins in nine at Ashton Gate is way below expectations and is actually relegation form if continued over a whole season without the very good results we have achieved away from home being continued. Given that the majority of supporters only go to Home games Gary needs to learn that those supporters are only commenting on what they have PAID to see to date. Forest are the second poorest side we have played this season with a one dimensional approach relying on Tyson's pace and we failed to turn them over - that is concerning to many supporters and I really fail to understand the GJ attitude of "shut your mouth and wait until the end of the season". That doesn't happen at any other football club so why does he feel that he is entitled to special privileges not afforded to the likes of Wenger, Ince, Keane, Ramos, Megson, Kinnear, Roeder, Magilton, O'Driscoll, Calderwood and many other managers who have been questioned and doubted by their own supporters so far this season?

GJ is just as entitled to his opinion as everyone else but, having said that, if he continues with the pointless mocking of supporters who have helped fund the club with their money for far longer than he has been taking that money out of the club then the CLUB (not him as he is only into year two of his cosy and well paid five year contract) WILL be hit where it hurts most next season - expect to see a thousand at least knocked off the season ticket tally next season as some of the more sensitive supporters decide that GJ's comments have made their decision whether or not to attend easier in recessionary times. Some might say these supporters are not needed but when a club is losing £2 million in their best season for over 30 years then I am not so sure we can afford crowds to slip back down to the 14-15K mark. Perhaps GJ will fund the shortfall himself!!!!

As Nibor well said its getting to the point where many starting to find some of the team selections and substitutions fairly confusing, and personally I find it interesting that even he's starting to question?

regardless of any other players, majority we look MUCH more dangerous and creative with Noble and/or Trundle on the pitch and I feel we need at least one of them on the pitch at all times, fair enough if Nobes can't do 90mins, but surely the PERFECT replacement for him is Trundle, I'd love to see Maynard on the end of some of the passing and through balls that he could receive from Maynard, but who knows what it will take for them to be on the pitch at the same time.

It's also a case of another week another dig from Johnson, seriously perhaps he should be spending his time getting his team performing, rather than worrying about what we have to say, though, again......it seems we are not allowed a view till the end of the season, perhaps Gary doesn't want fans at the gate and just mindless drones who agree with everything he does and ignores things that he may do wrong or that we disagree with,

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/sport/f...il/article.html

Questioned about his tactics in the wake of Saturday's 2-2 draw with Forest, Johnson issued an emphatic defence of his team selection and deployment.

"You have to have belief in your players and the way you're trying to play and I believe this is the best way for us," declared the boss.

"It's easy for Championship managers sat at home to pick the team, but they should trust me, see where we are at the end of the season and then judge us."

any I the only one getting fed up of these pointless comments from him? your job is to manage Gary, not have a pop at the Fans, also despite my general dislike of the local papers, I'm glad this reporter has actually looked at views on here and asked the question why?

Next Week, please could you ask if he can remember who Lee Trundle is?

Ta

Also in the interview, reading between the lines, he admitted that the midfield was weak and had to be bolstered by playing 4-5-1 'to keep things tight' so thats why he's playing a central midfielder on the right wing and why MM keeps tucking in, obviosly operating to GJ's instructions. Like it or not we have a weakness in central midfield and until he opens his eyes or certain players get injured this will carry on, so get used to it lads. The best we played for me was the back end of last season when we had Carle, Noble, Trundle in the team. Where were they at the end of the game on Saturday. GJ is losing the plot IMHO.

By the way we are still waiting for Carles replacement. Gavin Williams? your aving a larf!

Archived