IGNORED

Deja Vu, But This Time Mcindoe's Spot Kick Miss Proves Costly

cheshire_red

A great write up well worth a 'Clapp'. :clapping:

How much longer before we beat Forest in a league game - the last time we beat them in the league must have been in the 1970's? A good entertaining game yesterday and Forest almost looked like a one man team with Tyson at the heart of just about all their attacks. Lee Johnson had a good game in midfield and he even looked well up for a few tackles! :whistle2: I'm not sure that Michael McIndoe should have been allowed to take the penalty after having appeared to have snatched the ball for the spot kick. Stern John earned the penalty so surely it should have been Stern John to take it ??!!!! I'll always remember that game for the Marvellous Marvin goal rather than the Michael McIndoe penalty and McIndoe missing what was almost an open goal in the first half so that lets McIndoe off the hook somewhat.

Guest MaloneFM

33 years.

And it wasn't missed it was saved. Last week was saved. If it's under the bar and between the posts it isn't missed.

As penalties go he did as much as he could. Shaped to hit it left and then switched sides. The amount of pointing to the sky by the Forest goalkeeper afterwards showed how lucky he thought he had been. A very good save.

Basso against Watford and Palarse last season? Both missed? I rather think not.

33 years.

And it wasn't missed it was saved. Last week was saved. If it's under the bar and between the posts it isn't missed.

As penalties go he did as much as he could. Shaped to hit it left and then switched sides. The amount of pointing to the sky by the Forest goalkeeper afterwards showed how lucky he thought he had been. A very good save.

Basso against Watford and Palarse last season? Both missed? I rather think not.

missed or saved malone the result is still the same. is a penalty that is poorly taken and hit at the goal keeper a better penelty than one inchs wide? 2 pens 0 goals is not down to great keeping. :noexpression:

missed or saved malone the result is still the same. is a penalty that is poorly taken and hit at the goal keeper a better penelty than one inchs wide? 2 pens 0 goals is not down to great keeping. :noexpression:

Quite right, 'missed' or 'saved', the penalty was poorly taken and no where in my first reply to this topic did I state he 'missed' the penalty as I think Malone maybe suggesting. McIndoe appeared to 'miss' what looked like an open goal as viewed from where I was sitting in the Atyeo Stand in the first half. Anyway, the very best penalty takers hit the ball top left or top right with power thus giving the goalie no chance of making a save. McIndoe against Southampton and Forest hit the ball too low and at the height of a diving goalie's body and outstretched arms.

Forgetting his penalty and open goal miss, McIndoe is nowhere near as good for us this season as he was last season. Last season McIndoe was beating defenders with his pace down the wing and putting in some decent crosses - I haven't seen too much of that from him this season.

Guest MaloneFM
basso against palace!?

I'm sure it hit the post

Well the jury on here Robert are convinced he got a finger to it. But therein lies a quandry. If a penalty that is under the bar and between the posts is saved, what is one that hits the bar or post?

I think both were under hit and the first was one telegraphed to the extent of where even I guessed which way I'd go if I was in goal. And was too close to the middle. This gives the keeper a chance of leaving a trailing leg just in case. Yesterdays was under hit as well but if in the lottery of which way to go the goalkeeper had either stayed put or went to his left, it was in. He comitted himself fully to diving towards the right hand post. Like Basso against Watford going left.

As it was he stuck it as far to the corner as he could and it got saved. A more confident taker would stick a bit of lift under it but the pressure he was under yesterday there was a real risk of row z. I think he did all he could. Blasting it one way or the other may have hit the post. Or worse.

Gary Linaker against Brazil at Wembley tried a run up and a chip. The keeper just stood there and caught it. Baggio in the world cup in America tried to leather it into the roof and it wound up in San Diego. Southgate tried placement in Euro 96 and the keeper left a leg behind and stopped it.

On quiet summer evenings at the Gate, you can still hear in the wind the THUMP of Gordon Owens effort in front of the East End against Swindle and it hammers into the hoardings all those years ago. He tried to make amends the following week at Wembley against Mansfield. And Hitchcock performed in much the same way as Koepke would do some 10 years later.

Archived