IGNORED

Start With Maynard

William Stand

Much like last season, none of our strikers look full of goals.

Whilst 4-5-1 might be best away at places like Palace I think especiallty for home games we should go 4-4-2 & bring back Maynard.

On paper a combination of Maynard with either Adebola, John or Trundle should work well.

I know that Maynard lacks confidence but the fact is the only way that he will regain confidence is by scoring goals at 1st team level. For us > £2M is too much to spend on a bench warmer, we need to get him in the team & play to his strengths.

When he came back from his injury at Crewe he had a barren run & then scored something like 10 goals in 12 games to help save them from relegation - so he's been through barren spells before & come out ok at the end.

My biggest concern is the right hand side of midfield - no-one seems to be able to really make that position their own, I would really like to see us get Tommy Smith from Watford - a hardworking, right winger with a nose for a goal. Of the current crop I would probably play Brian Wilson there but I'm not convinced he'd create enough, especially at home.

Whilst 4-5-1 might be best away at places like Palace I think especiallty for home games we should go 4-4-2 & bring back Maynard.

On paper a combination of Maynard with either Adebola, John or Trundle should work well.

I know that Maynard lacks confidence but the fact is the only way that he will regain confidence is by scoring goals at 1st team level. For us > £2M is too much to spend on a bench warmer, we need to get him in the team & play to his strengths.

When he came back from his injury at Crewe he had a barren run & then scored something like 10 goals in 12 games to help save them from relegation - so he's been through barren spells before & come out ok at the end.

My biggest concern is the right hand side of midfield - no-one seems to be able to really make that position their own, I would really like to see us get Tommy Smith from Watford - a hardworking, right winger with a nose for a goal. Of the current crop I would probably play Brian Wilson there but I'm not convinced he'd create enough, especially at home.

Some good points that are hard to disagree with!

Ive never liked playing 1 up front at home but to be fair it has worked for us in the past and can understand why he kept the same team although personally I was hoping he would switch back to 4-4-2.

Quite frankly we have looked a very average team this season - We are completely devoid of ANY pace what-so-ever and it shows. We have Williams on the right who is not a winger and spends 80% of the time in the middle of the pitch and we have McIndoe on the left who - lets be honest - could not skin a potato never mind a full back. He looks a completely different player to last season.

Personally I like to see well balanced teams and despite our squad of 26 players - at one point during the game we had A right back playing at left back, A Centre Midfielder playing Centre back and a Centre midfielder playing on the right side of midfield. I appreciate that they have all played in these positions in the past but they are certainly not the players preferred or natural position.

To be fair we are still in a decent league position due to the fact that the division is so tight again - a few wins on the trot would propell us comfortably into the playoffs but a few defeats could see us looking down. Hopefully we are still in a decent postion come January and GJ can find a couple players with PACE that can also play abit. That could be the difference.

Regardless of who he starts up front - I would just like to see him pick 2 strikers and give them a pressure free run of 5/6 games together rather than if they don't score after 2 games - change it. Give them a chance to form an understanding and get abit of sharpness. You never know.......

Valid ponts made.

Fo me it would be Trundle and Maynard up front in a 4-4-2 or Trundle just in behind Maynard. I have been saying this since the start of the season. Trundle seemed to be coming good towards the end of 07/08 and can't help but feel for him this season. Having said that GJ is not likely to drop Adebola to the bench for a few games running. :tumbleweed:

Valid ponts made.

Fo me it would be Trundle and Maynard up front in a 4-4-2 or Trundle just in behind Maynard. I have been saying this since the start of the season. Trundle seemed to be coming good towards the end of 07/08 and can't help but feel for him this season. Having said that GJ is not likely to drop Adebola to the bench for a few games running. :tumbleweed:

we played 4-5-1 last week and should have come away with 5 goals and on another day we would have, why would you go back to 4-4-2?

Valid ponts made.

Yep. Trundle and Maynard should be given the run that Dele has been given. According to some though, Dele is not the problem and not the reason why we are failing to score again this season. I just cant see it myself, how can a bloke score a hat trick on his debut, be the club record signing and then not be given a run to prove his worth?

we played 4-5-1 last week and should have come away with 5 goals and on another day we would have, why would you go back to 4-4-2?

Firstly, we DIDN'T come away with 5 goals and secondly in my opinion trundle and maynard should be playing more often than they are, and i don't think that any of them would fit into a five man midfield! With Trundle recieving the ball to feet he would be the perfect partner for Maynard. This is why i also mentioned Trunds dropping off and playing just in behind. I think Maynard woud flourish with the likes of Trundle and Noble supplying slide rule defence splitting passes. But hey, Thats just my opinion!!! :noexpression:

Firstly, we DIDN'T come away with 5 goals and secondly in my opinion trundle and maynard should be playing more often than they are, and i don't think that any of them would fit into a five man midfield! With Trundle recieving the ball to feet he would be the perfect partner for Maynard. This is why i also mentioned Trunds dropping off and playing just in behind. I think Maynard woud flourish with the likes of Trundle and Noble supplying slide rule defence splitting passes. But hey, Thats just my opinion!!! :noexpression:

For what its worth i would try and get maynard and Trunds in the side, however i still don't think the formation was the problem as we created a lot of chances. I would put Trundle in for Mcindoe as hes playing nearly as a 2nd striker anyway and i would swap Dele for maynard and try playing in behind the defence rather than to deles chest or head everytime.

These people that keep saying we should have scored x ammount of goals are missing the point of these threads. you see dear people we are not scoring five and we won,t with our currant system. I say give trunds a run of games sat behind maynard. also give nobes a run in with johnson , marv and perhaps Mcindoe as he seems to like the centre of mid field from current games.

These people that keep saying we should have scored x ammount of goals are missing the point of these threads. you see dear people we are not scoring five and we won,t with our currant system. I say give trunds a run of games sat behind maynard. also give nobes a run in with johnson , marv and perhaps Mcindoe as he seems to like the centre of mid field from current games.

we played that very system LAST week and should have scored 5. The fact we never was not down to the system but the fact our players messed up.

My thoughts exactly! I think it was the Norwich game where we finished with Trundle and Maynard together up front looking very dangerous, and i remember thinking at the time that this combination is worth pursuing.

I agree, the ONLY way to see Maynard hit some form is to stick with him and start him up front in a 4-4-2 formation. At the moment he is a bit part player and people are expecting him to come on half way through a game and score 2 or 3. It must have been said a million times on here before but we are not playing to his strengths, any body would think Adebola was our star striker with the way Johnsons has been picking him recently.

Since GJ has taken over we havnt seem to have a regular paring upfront, Maynard needs to start on saturday imo and wuth a run of starts i could see him scoring lots tbh.

Guest wheres your caravan??

To me it is obvious that NM is low on confidence. So i think that we should make a huge effort to get behind him on saturday, and hopefully he will come good! :englandsmile4wf:

Archived