IGNORED

Lt Or Stern?

Nogbad the Bad

The way things are going it seems Trundle may be sacrificed if we are to bring Stern John in permanently.

City probably can't, indeed possibly shouldn't, keep 2 strikers on their wage bill at their age and supposed wages.

With Adebola still showing his worth, do we actually need John at all?

If City do sign Stern, would we still need the aging Dele? Taking everything into account wouldn't it make more sense if Dele, plus the injury prone Brooker, were the forwards to make way and steady the wage bill?

For me it's a tough one, Stern might prove by the New Year to be exactly the striker we need, but sacrificing the magic of Trundle would be a painful a price to pay.

Although I like and rate Dele, Stern would seem to favour his role and if he proves himself on loan I'd be reasonably happy with a striking quartet of John, Trundle, Maynard and Akinde.

But, with wages in particular in mind, I fear it may end up being a straight choice between Trundle and Stern, in which case I'd be very much in two minds about his impending arrival.

The way things are going it seems Trundle may be sacrificed if we are to bring Stern John in permanently.

City probably can't, indeed possibly shouldn't, keep 2 strikers on their wage bill at their age and supposed wages.

If City do sign Stern, would we still need the aging Dele? Taking everything into account wouldn't it make more sense if Dele, plus the injury prone Brooker, were the forwards to make way and steady the wage bill?

For me it's a tough one, Stern might prove by the New Year to be exactly the striker we need, but sacrificing the magic of Trundle would be a painful a price to pay.

Although I like and rate Dele, Stern would seem to favour his role and if he proves himself on loan I'd be reasonably happy with a striking quartet of John, Trundle, Maynard and Akinde.

But, with wages in particular in mind, I fear it may end up being a straight choice between Trundle and Stern, in which case I'd be very much in two minds about his impending arrival.

Stern John looks quality to me - Control, strength, awareness and knows where the goal is. Question is, do we have the quality of players around him to match his skills physically and mentally because football is about mental awareness as well? This is where Trundle is so clever; he really does have a footballing brain blessed with great feet.

A yard lost in physical pace can easily be gained in mental awareness. So I would be happy to see John and Trundle up front as a partnership. Two good brains that would be instinctive and two quality finishers, plus one great creative (Trundle)

Dele has been very strong lately especially on the ground. He appears to have gained an extra half yard so no criticism of him at all, but John I think is more agile and I think is probably a much better finisher.

Aside of these three I think Akinde looks the best of the rest. Raw and unacustomed to this level he may be, but he looks explosive to me - Quick, powerful, a right handful and strong, both in the air and on the ground with a great touch. He would be ahead of Brooker and Maynard for me

Dele has been very strong lately especially on the ground. He appears to have gained an extra half yard so no criticism of him at all, but John I think is more agile and I think is probably a much better finisher.

Aside of these three I think Akinde looks the best of the rest. Raw and unacustomed to this level he may be, but he looks explosive to me - Quick, powerful, a right handful and strong, both in the air and on the ground with a great touch. He would be ahead of Brooker and Maynard for me

If Stern comes permanently City will surely have to save on wages somewhere. Like me you seem to want your cake and eat it by having Stern and Trundle. :innocent06:

I'm assuming the wage bill won't allow this so either Trundle could go or perhaps Dele and Brooker.

GJ wants 5 forwards so presumably the highest paid non regular is most likely to make way.

I'll put my head on the block and say that with Dele being an effective frontman at this level, I'm not sure we need Stern at all, but particularly if it means discarding Trundle.

So to answer my own question, if it's a straight choice then it's Trundle for me, and PLAY him, with Akinde gradually replacing Dele.

Scenario's for me:

1) Sign John, keep Trundle, let Adebola and Brooker go.

2) Don't sign John.

Non starter for me:

1) Sign John, sell Trundle. :nono:

Dele has'nt been doing much in games. I'd rather have John & Trundle and use Dele if we are chasing the game and getting balls into the box. its obvious dele's age is catching up with him and cant do 90 minutes every week - i think he'd be a great option as a sub.

jan dealings could be critical for us, but whoever we play upfront seems to be unable to score at anything like 1 in 3 let alone 1 in 2. proven goal scorers have come and go since lita, but as soon as they pull on the red shirt they all turn into scott mcgarvey!!! it gives me a headache trying to work out why.

IMO bola contributes the most to the team (pre-SJ anyway) even though he doesnt score anywhere near enough. SJ may prove to be the one but i worry the curse of ashton gate will strike again!! SB will leave in Jan IMO and with his fitness record he cant really complain. LT may go as well and whilst i would be sorry to see him go i think that maybe he reached the championship a little too late. both would be good acquisitions for a top 6 league one side (well SB will if he stays fit).

i feel tht this jan we should look to sign SJ and play him up front with bola using akinde and maynard as back up with maynard being given a few starts to rest bola with the aim of getting maynard up to the mark for next season. in our financial position we shouldnt really have high earniners knocking about in the stands or even on the bench if we can help it.

i presume that ultimately what happens between now and jan will dictate matters. if we look good for the PO's we may push the boat out more than if we are rooted in mid table.

Stern John and Trundle together up front for me. I would then have Adebola and Maynard changing with them when the match or scoreline dictates it.

We MUST get a forward pairing going and stick with it for more than 2 games. Give it a chance and see what happens. We have some real quality forwards but they don't get a chance half the time.

There has also been a lot of talk about wage bills etc, so why don't we just loan out or sell (if possible) some of our less good or non first team regular players rather than players that can influence the outcome of a game. Do we really need Skuse, Brooker, and Sproule warming the bench or even not playing for 30 games a season? Thats got to be a 6-8 thousand a week saving there alone?

I may be convinced in Stern's favour, of course, if he were to score half a dozen goals between now and the New Year.

Problem is he probably won't even start half a dozen games in that time so will not have the opportunity to convince me, and everyone else, that he is definitely the answer.

Anyway, if John does get that opportunity, when is the last time Trundle started half a dozen consecutive games in his preferred position, and was thereby given enough rope to hang himself and show that he definitely isn't the answer? :dunno:

I cant see the need for Adebola at 33, plus Stern and Trundle, both 32. None will get quicker or improve their game. Stern John and Brooker are better with their backs to goal and imo offer a better goal threat than Adebola and Trundle.

Wage wise, it will mean 1/2 will have to go if we sign Stern John. GJ's decision could well revolve around whether or not he gives Brooker enough chances to establish himself again and Brookers ability to stay on the paddock for a month. Goals wise and wages wise I would like Stern, Brooker, Akinde and Maynard. Trundle and Adebola whilst giving City their best efforts are slowing down and quite frankly don't score enough goals.

Meanwhile, GJ has shown that Adebola is his favourite, so that may have him with us for at least this season.

I cant see the need for Adebola at 33, plus Stern and Trundle, both 32. None will get quicker or improve their game. Stern John and Brooker are better with their backs to goal and imo offer a better goal threat than Adebola and Trundle.

Wage wise, it will mean 1/2 will have to go if we sign Stern John. GJ's decision could well revolve around whether or not he gives Brooker enough chances to establish himself again and Brookers ability to stay on the paddock for a month. Goals wise and wages wise I would like Stern, Brooker, Akinde and Maynard. Trundle and Adebola whilst giving City their best efforts are slowing down and quite frankly don't score enough goals.

Meanwhile, GJ has shown that Adebola is his favourite, so that may have him with us for at least this season.

We agree on the necessity of City shedding one/maybe 2 of our current strikers should Stern sign.

Of the 4 to keep we only differ on one - Brooker or Trundle. You have long championed Brooker's cause and to a point been proved justified, however those repetitive niggling injuries just keep coming.

I would prefer Trundle for 3 reasons:

1) If we got rid of Trundle as well as Adebola, we would be left with only 3 fit strikers if Brooker's seemingly never ending run of injuries keep cropping up. Unfortunately, you have to say it is unlikely he will remain injury free and is the most likely of the 6 to be regularly unavailable for selection.

2) Wage wise, Trundle only needs to depart if we are going to keep 5 ( GJ's stated preference) - advocating only 4 means we do not need Trundle to go although two players earning the wages of Trundle and John when we only play one up front would seem excessive. Reduced to 4 though, it becomes acceptable.

3) Trundle offers something different to all the other strikers, including the ability to switch wide and be a genuine chance provider as shown against Plymouth.

Playing style wise, John would seem to be closest to Adebola and Brooker, rather than Maynard or Trundle, and we have Akinde coming up to deputise should Stern be unavailable. I'd like to see Akinde fast-tracked and Brooker and Adebola are the players hovering in or near the squad at the moment who seem most likely to thwart him.

We agree on the necessity of City shedding one/maybe 2 of our current strikers should Stern sign.

Of the 4 to keep we only differ on one - Brooker or Trundle. You have long championed Brooker's cause and to a point been proved justified, however those repetitive niggling injuries just keep coming.

I would prefer Trundle for 3 reasons:

1) If we got rid of Trundle as well as Adebola, we would be left with only 3 fit strikers if Brooker's seemingly never ending run of injuries keep cropping up. Unfortunately, you have to say it is unlikely he will remain injury free and is the most likely of the 6 to be regularly unavailable for selection.

2) Wage wise, Trundle only needs to depart if we are going to keep 5 ( GJ's stated preference) - advocating only 4 means we do not need Trundle to go although two players earning the wages of Trundle and John when we only play one up front would seem excessive. Reduced to 4 though, it becomes acceptable.

3) Trundle offers something different to all the other strikers, including the ability to switch wide and be a genuine chance provider as shown against Plymouth.

Playing style wise, John would seem to be closest to Adebola and Brooker, rather than Maynard or Trundle, and we have Akinde coming up to deputise should Stern be unavailable. I'd like to see Akinde fast-tracked and Brooker and Adebola are the players hovering in or near the squad at the moment who seem most likely to thwart him.

[ Oh my God Noggers, Shedding,thwarting and long championing.........what are you drinking and can I have some.

Its a post medication moment so I will add, seriously, that I would prefer Stern John to Adebola because of his career goal scoring record.

I agree that Trundle offers something different, but the goal average and potential improvement is not there at 32. I had 2 wives who had something different, but both were transferred at a short term loss and a long term profit.]

Good to hear from you .

I've been a big fan of Dele's since before and after he signed for City but on Saturday for the first time I found myself saying he's just not scoring enough to justify his place. To play with one upfront when that one does not score just wont work in my opinion. 2 goals in 17 starts for Dele is simply not good enough and I imagine his wages are quite hefty as well.

I'd love to see Trundle and John given a go together up front but like many on here I just don't see this happening and I imagine it will be Trundle to make way along with Brooker in January or at the end of the season. I imagine with Dele's contract running out at the end of the season we could find him on his way then as well but not before.

No disrespect to any other players at the club but...

...I'd like to see Trundle given a decent run of appearances in the side (either full or as second half sub for 30mins or so)

I reckon given his history as being somewhat of a 'golden boy' at his previous club his experiences here have been somewhat humbling to say the least.

Certainly this season his pride and lack of opportunity so far must really by now be eating away at him - he must be aching to show 'them' he's NOT some kind of 'has been' or a 'not quite good enough for the Championship, League 1 player' ... He's class HE knows it & WE know it! ... Give him a go, let him off his leash & he'll bloody well prove it.

I think recent experiences may even have made him a better player -cos now he's hungry for it.

After years of previously unchallenged hero worship elsewhere, here people have started to doubt him for perhaps the first time in his career, if anyone in our squad has a point to prove its got to be LT.. it's not too late to become a hero again, give him a chance.

If, after all that, somehow things don't go so well & he still doesnt fit in to GJ's system or style of play (think thats been the main problem so far) then at least some recent Championship appearances would bode well for us getting a decent transfer fee for him come the New Year - otherwise what will we be be offering for sale? - just another average fringe player? & at what price?....

Either way we've got to play him and play him soon, cos we all know he's not just some kind of average fringe player - Trundle's worth more than that.

Hopefully he'll become a star in a Bristol City shirt - if not, then at least with some recent appearences to his name he'd command a decent tranfer fee if & when the time comes to part company.

Personally I hope he stays, creative players with flair are an inspiration to the younger lads - it tends to rub off on them too, gives them something to admire and aspire to, in turn they become better, more valuable all round players themselves.

Come on Lee Trundle - this is Bristol City & We Always Believe! - :englandsmile4wf:

No disrespect to any other players at the club but...

...I'd like to see Trundle given a decent run of appearances in the side (either full or as second half sub for 30mins or so)

I reckon given his history as being somewhat of a 'golden boy' at his previous club his experiences here have been somewhat humbling to say the least.

Certainly this season his pride and lack of opportunity so far must really by now be eating away at him - he must be aching to show 'them' he's NOT some kind of 'has been' or a 'not quite good enough for the Championship, League 1 player' ... He's class HE knows it & WE know it! ... Give him a go, let him off his leash & he'll bloody well prove it.

I think recent experiences may even have made him a better player -cos now he's hungry for it.

After years of previously unchallenged hero worship elsewhere, here people have started to doubt him for perhaps the first time in his career, if anyone in our squad has a point to prove its got to be LT.. it's not too late to become a hero again, give him a chance.

If, after all that, somehow things don't go so well & he still doesnt fit in to GJ's system or style of play (think thats been the main problem so far) then at least some recent Championship appearances would bode well for us getting a decent transfer fee for him come the New Year - otherwise what will we be be offering for sale? - just another average fringe player? & at what price?....

Either way we've got to play him and play him soon, cos we all know he's not just some kind of average fringe player - Trundle's worth more than that.

Hopefully he'll become a star in a Bristol City shirt - if not, then at least with some recent appearences to his name he'd command a decent tranfer fee if & when the time comes to part company.

Personally I hope he stays, creative players with flair are an inspiration to the younger lads - it tends to rub off on them too, gives them something to admire and aspire to, in turn they become better, more valuable all round players themselves.

Come on Lee Trundle - this is Bristol City & We Always Believe! - :englandsmile4wf:

Agree with all of the above, Trundle is too good to just be ''left out''.

What annoys me even more is that we play Adebola instead who has half the player Trundle could be if we actually started with him and made him feel wanted.

Think I agree with most on here when i say i would like to see LT and SJ given a run of games together. I'm positive the two could be an effective partnership but they need a run of games together to form an understanding and show what they can do.

As honest and hardworking as Adebola is, having him in the side results in us becoming totally one dimensional and very unattractive to watch. I want to see us knocking the ball around on the deck, runners pulling the opposition all over the place and our creative players (Noble, Williams, Trundle) cutting teams open. It just doesn't happen with Dele in the side - not his fault and i cannot fault his effort but I'd rather watch paint dry than see City with a cart horse up front.

Of the 6 strikers we have i'd start with Trundle & John with Maynard and Akinde on the bench. Let Brooker out on loan with Dele to go in the summer.

Think I agree with most on here when i say i would like to see LT and SJ given a run of games together. I'm positive the two could be an effective partnership but they need a run of games together to form an understanding and show what they can do.

As honest and hardworking as Adebola is, having him in the side results in us becoming totally one dimensional and very unattractive to watch. I want to see us knocking the ball around on the deck, runners pulling the opposition all over the place and our creative players (Noble, Williams, Trundle) cutting teams open. It just doesn't happen with Dele in the side - not his fault and i cannot fault his effort but I'd rather watch paint dry than see City with a cart horse up front.

Of the 6 strikers we have i'd start with Trundle & John with Maynard and Akinde on the bench. Let Brooker out on loan with Dele to go in the summer.

Akinde is the best striker we have with trundle second best - if played on the left wing

The plymouth home game those 2 + noble later turned the game Akinde seems to be able to run all day and Trundle is so skillful he doesnt need to run - He is the best crosser of a ball we have

Dele works hard but we need to see the goals coming now - same with Maynard

Brooker unfortunately is not worth whatever we are paying him because he never plays

And Stern John was a complete waste of time - He is exactly the same player as Dele.

I'd go with Dele and Akinde up front with Trundle on left wing

Have Maynard on the bench with Sproule as an 'emergency' striker

I think people need to face facts that Trundle could well leave in January based on the fact he is not being selected. I can see him dropping down to league 1 again

Only Leeds and Leicester could afford him in League One, so I suspect he won't move down to that level while he's under contract at Ashton Gate.

Akinde is the best striker we have with trundle second best - if played on the left wing

The plymouth home game those 2 + noble later turned the game Akinde seems to be able to run all day and Trundle is so skillful he doesnt need to run - He is the best crosser of a ball we have

Dele works hard but we need to see the goals coming now - same with Maynard

Brooker unfortunately is not worth whatever we are paying him because he never plays

And Stern John was a complete waste of time - He is exactly the same player as Dele.

I'd go with Dele and Akinde up front with Trundle on left wing

Have Maynard on the bench with Sproule as an 'emergency' striker

Saying John is the same as Adebola is laughauble, John has good footwork and is a proven golascorer at this level (20 last season shows that) and he is a full international.

Akinde is not quite ready imo, think he needs to be loaned out for proper first team experience, camio apprences for us isnt going to help him and he needs to be playing week in week out.

Archived