IGNORED

Lack Of Pace!

gaz897

Mentioned in another thread someone stated about the lack of pace in the team. With only Sproule having real pace we do have problems in that area. However is it a problem when you have the likes of Noble, Trundle and sometimes Lee Johnson who can open up defences?

Question is which strengths do we play for and do we need some pacey players brought in?

Guest ashtonyate
Mentioned in another thread someone stated about the lack of pace in the team. With only Sproule having real pace we do have problems in that area. However is it a problem when you have the likes of Noble, Trundle and sometimes Lee Johnson who can open up defences?

Question is which strengths do we play for and do we need some pacey players brought in?

Maynard has all the pace in the world it more about how the teams tactic are played Johnson likes one up front simple as that

I think you're right,there is no substitute for pace in my view,all the successful sides have pace within there team particularly on the flanks.

Also a quick player can excite the crowd and get the noise levels up,imagine a home match and in the first minute we have a flying winger whip in a great cross which we almost score/or actually score,the fans would be lifted straight away.

So yes I believe in pace and if we can add that to our squad then I feel we'd have a good side,I don't think we're all that far away at the moment from being a good side,it's just that pace is the main thing that we lack.

Maynard has all the pace in the world it more about how the teams tactic are played Johnson likes one up front simple as that

He hasn't played one up front all season,and Maynard got a good run in the team early on and hardly produced the goods did he, we played 1 up front a lot last season and got results,the difference this season is when we get chances early on we aren't taking them,you look at McIndoe's 6 yard effort against Forest(and Penalty miss) and that says it all

Cant agree here. I think its a bit of a myth that Maynard has a lot of pace. He's not slow, but certainly not the quickest either.

I have seen nothing to prove to me that he is a forward with pace both at City and Crewe. More of a forward that likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender.

Cant agree here. I think its a bit of a myth that Maynard has a lot of pace. He's not slow, but certainly not the quickest either.

I have seen nothing to prove to me that he is a forward with pace both at City and Crewe. More of a forward that likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender.

Nicky Maynard

Watching that video confirms he does have pace, i know it was in league 1 and everything but he still shows that he can skin defenders when given the chance.

Notice almost every goal is set up for him....

Nicky Maynard

Watching that video confirms he does have pace, i know it was in league 1 and everything but he still shows that he can skin defenders when given the chance.

Notice almost every goal is set up for him....

Cant get the link to work for whatever reason although I have seen previous videos of his goals. After seeing him in a City shirt and his previous goals in L1 I am still not convinced he has any real pace. As I said, he's not slow, but certainly not as quick as people like to make him out to be.

Your last sentence is spot on. And even though thats what he was bought for, Maynard needs to also look to creating chances for himself and testing the keeper. I actually also think that Nicky has been set up quite a few times this season but has failed to convert on all occassions bar (EDIT) two.

I don't think the answer is Maynard. I mean I don't think the pace lacks in those araes. Now I am a McIndoe fan and like him a lot but whats the funny walk he does before he tries to take someone on all about? I really believe we need more pace in Midfield, Johnson is good with the ball but can't get around the pitch enough for me. But the n maybe Elliot shows him up with that part of his game. Sproule hasn't got a clue, he has pace but doesn't use it much so IMO the pace needs to come on the right.

Watching England on wednesday shows the even the best teams in the world can be beaten by pure pace. Two small men but lightning quick up front in Defoe and Agb*****. the lightning Wright Phillips on the right and ball playing Downing on the left. With Barry controlling things in midfield and carrick spreading the play.

Could we play Maynard and Akinde upfront both quick players. Another flyer in midfield with Spoure and the ball playing mcindoe with Elliot controlling things in midfield with Noble or Johnson spreading the play in midfield.

Archived