IGNORED

Sean Scannell

BS3_RED

What a performance from the young 17 year old yesterday. Ripped us apart and is certainly one for the future. Palace also had a second 17 year old playing for them yesterday. So thats two young academy players in there first team.

Now i am starting to agree with AshtonYate about our academy being a waste of money. We are not really getting any decent young players coming through and when you look at Cardiff and Palace's young players, it really hits home just how poor ours are.

I know we have Ribs ( who i think would have been a starting player) and Wilson coming through who look like they can make it but the rest seem to be falling by the wayside.

I really hope Wilson and Ribs make it because if they don't then we would be better off scraping the academy and using the money else where.

What a performance from the young 17 year old yesterday. Ripped us apart and is certainly one for the future. Palace also had a second 17 year old playing for them yesterday. So thats two young academy players in there first team.

Now i am starting to agree with AshtonYate about our academy being a waste of money. We are not really getting any decent young players coming through and when you look at Cardiff and Palace's young players, it really hits home just how poor ours are.

I know we have Ribs ( who i think would have been a starting player) and Wilson coming through who look like they can make it but the rest seem to be falling by the wayside.

I really hope Wilson and Ribs make it because if they don't then we would be better off scraping the academy and using the money else where.

And when academy players like Tristan Plummer and Frankie Artus can't get games at Luton and Brentford respectively in League 2, then the alrm bells start ringing. More people will question the value of our Academy because aside from James Wilson, none appear to be challenging for a first team place and the last to play regularly in our starting eleven, Jennison Myrie-Williams appears to have no future at Ashton Gate, having been loaned out since the end of season 2006-07.

Palace fan here [in peace!]

It's taken years for academy to produce the likes of Scannell, Victor Moses, Lee Hills, Nathaniel Clyne, John Bostock etc. and Jordan has pumped a lot of money into it - facilities, scouting, coaching - just glad it's starting to bear fruit. Even if we don't get to see much of our youth players, we'll almost always get some sort of fee for them, and it's been one of the brightest points of the past few years. Our under 18s are second in the league to Arsenal as well :)

And if this comes across as though I'm rubbing it in, I apologise...

And when academy players like Tristan Plummer and Frankie Artus can't get games at Luton and Brentford respectively in League 2, then the alrm bells start ringing. More people will question the value of our Academy because aside from James Wilson, none appear to be challenging for a first team place and the last to play regularly in our starting eleven, Jennison Myrie-Williams appears to have no future at Ashton Gate, having been loaned out since the end of season 2006-07.

A decent scouting network is far more important than the academy in my opinion.

A decent scouting network is far more important than the academy in my opinion.

I'd disagree there,I think a good academy is crucial for any club,it's just that at the moment young players aren't getting much oppotunity,I think Riberio will be a good player in time and he's cost us nothing.

You can't waste money on young players e.g if Akinde fails well we've only lost 140k so no worry,however I think he will do well.

You're right about needing a good scouting network,it's just that I feel the youth set-up is just as important to any club

Depending on the way the credit crunch affects football in the coming years, the academy (again) could save us from the worst effects of the crisis. I truely believe we were spared from the worst of the ITV Sport debacle because of being able to rely on a squad of youngsters, who in fairness made up the mainstay of our squad for nearly a decade.

As it stands, no we're not producing top youth players, but then comparing us to Crystal Palace is laughable. Look at the size of the area, and people living there in comparison to Bristol. Even when Arsenal ect have had their pick there's still alot of players to choose from in those parts.

I'm sure eventually we'll have another "golden" generation, it's just a question of waiting.

I'd disagree there,I think a good academy is crucial for any club,it's just that at the moment young players aren't getting much oppotunity,I think Riberio will be a good player in time and he's cost us nothing.

You can't waste money on young players e.g if Akinde fails well we've only lost 140k so no worry,however I think he will do well.

You're right about needing a good scouting network,it's just that I feel the youth set-up is just as important to any club

He cost a lot more than Mccombe...To develop a load of kids for 10 years to unearth Ribero probably costs a lot more than £0

Archived