IGNORED

Gary Johnson

MATT BCFC

I expect he's in his bedroom stroking his picture of Luke Wilkshire damning that Johnson fella for letting him leave :preacher:

he's a random off subject question?

ARE any of our current central midfielders (apart from Elliott) better than Wilkshire?

Technically a VERY VERY good football, who was quality with the ball at his feet, BUT didn't like the phyiscal style of League One and games against the likes of Colchester, Chesterfield and the like..........

it's no suprise, that's he's doing well in Europe and for the national team.

I may not agree with everything he does and am never astgounded by the most absurd comments on this forum. But, this ranks as the most ill informed idiotic commnt I have ever read. If you cannot see what he has achieved and the deep down changes he has made, then I have to ask where have you been all these years. And, IMHO Trundle is far too slow, ineffective and easy to mark, we should never have signed him, that is where I disagree with the manager, but can never agree that he is now our saviour. He had so many chances last year, and was found wanting. All he is good for is half time entertainment.

Did you go to Wembley? You wouldnt've done if we adnt signed Trundle

A massive overreaction. Our success has gone to peoples heads.

100% CORRECT. Its gets so tiring reading posts from these ( i call them new fans) people who seem to think we have some devine right to win every game and play amazing football. They obviously werent around for all the years we have struggled and lost at Northampton, Rochdale etc etc.

Some on here need to wind there necks in and realise just how lucky they actually are to be watching a team that is 3 (YES THREE) points off the Championship play off places.

I find it hard to see how some fans see GJ as a god like figure, why?

It seems as if some fans think hes the greatest manager in the world when hes clearly not. At the end of the day we have won nothing with him here, promotion from league one yes but we were one of the bigger clubs in that division having one of the highest transfer budgets an wage budgets I'm pretty sure theres quite a few managers who could have taken us up.

Id say yes hes a fairly good manager but I'm really starting to question whether he can take us any further. If he was given a job in the Premier League (which is surely where we all want to be) I'm almost certain he would fail he just for whatever reason cant work with top players, any player with any kind of ego has been shown the door fairly quickly.just no!

In general don't think we have played good football either we certainly havnt been free scoring at any point and have became some what of a hoof ball team with Adebola up top. For me this has been the biggest factor which has annoyed me this season we are bloody boring to watch!

Perhaps most annoyingly is the fact he has favourites LJ, Adebola etc. That no matter how badly or tired they look thye seem to start the majority if not all of our games. For me our best player this season has been Trundle yet one average performance an he seems to be dropped your not going to get the best from players when they fear their position but your also not going to get the best from players who know their going to start no matter what.

just no!

I think the biggest problem for many, myself included is that in many instances he doesn't play his best team and more recently is making very strange decisions in starting line up and subs which for many are hard to understand?

But he is playing HIS best team, hes the manager and if HE feels thats his best team so be it. When making subs its often a case of sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, i am sure he doesnt ever make one for the detriment of the team.

he's a random off subject question?

ARE any of our current central midfielders (apart from Elliott) better than Wilkshire?

Technically a VERY VERY good football, who was quality with the ball at his feet, BUT didn't like the phyiscal style of League One and games against the likes of Colchester, Chesterfield and the like..........

it's no suprise, that's he's doing well in Europe and for the national team.

Wilkshire was a very talented footballer but he was more frustrating than Trundle, no doubt because, as you rightly say, he didn't enjoy the physical element. Therefore he is not as consistent as LJ or Noble and, in my opinion, can't be as good as good as them for that very reason. A talent but a wasted one.

100% CORRECT. Its gets so tiring reading posts from these ( i call them new fans) people who seem to think we have some devine right to win every game and play amazing football. They obviously werent around for all the years we have struggled and lost at Northampton, Rochdale etc etc.

Some on here need to wind there necks in and realise just how lucky they actually are to be watching a team that is 3 (YES THREE) points off the Championship play off places.

I used to think that even up until 2.59pm on Saturday afternoon. I used to be I 100% trust Johnson and used to stand by him even when he made strange decisions, Waiting until we were 4-0 down against Reading before making a sub being just one of them strange decisions. But now I'm starting to think Johnson has lost his way a bit and I'm starting to question certain things now.

I used to think that even up until 2.59pm on Saturday afternoon. I used to be I 100% trust Johnson and used to stand by him even when he made strange decisions, Waiting until we were 4-0 down against Reading before making a sub being just one of them strange decisions. But now I'm starting to think Johnson has lost his way a bit and I'm starting to question certain things now.

Why? we are 3 points off the play offs :noexpression: .

We support a club that havent exactly set the world alight in the last 30 years, actually make that 100!.

But for some bizzare reason :noexpression: , people like you seem to have this big downer on a manager that potentialy could build us into a club that may finally get us onto the Football map.

You can question his decisions all you want, but he makes far more good than bad.

Why? we are 3 points off the play offs :noexpression: . but on the half empty side 18points from the top team and 13 from the bottom team, who we failed to beat at home

We support a club that havent exactly set the world alight in the last 30 years, actually make that 100!.

But for some bizzare reason :noexpression: , people like you seem to have this big downer on a manager that potentialy could build us into a club that may finally get us onto the Football map.

You can question his decisions all you want, but he makes far more good than bad.

Firstly, I'm not defending his post because I don't agree with it. However, its a bit unfair to label him as a "new fan" and considering what he has posted in the past and his time on the forum, I have my suspicions that it may not have been him who posted it.

Nevertheless, I hear where you are coming from with regards where we once were before GJ took over. Yet, I see no real problem with supporters wanting us to do well and asking questions of the team and management. Yes, no team has the devine right to win, but every team and its supporters have the right to be upset and disapointed when the team is not winning and playing badly.

I know where we once were and how far we have come. However, I want us to keep pushing on. What would be the point in playing if we were always happy with consolidation or stability year after year? We may as well just poodle along as we are and be happy about it. Not me and many others. We've tasted a bit of sucess and we want more of it. I want City to throw everything they have at it, and if it isnt good enough this year, then we will start again next year. Thats the way in competitive sport.

don't deprive football supporters of wanting sucess because it is this single thing that drives clubs forwards.

Why? we are 3 points off the play offs :noexpression: .

Because we should be firmly in them play off places and not 3 points off of them and slipping away from them. When you can't beat the side that is bottom of the table at home then there is some serious issues somewhere. Not sure if you have noticed but we have only won one in 6 and that was against Southampton and we were lucky to win that. The only downer I'm on is because I know we have a squad capable of challenging them play off places but instead we are struggling because of Johnson only wants to play one striker despite having 6 on the books and doesn't want to play the best players for reasons only known to him. If he carries on having personal issues with players there is only one way we will go and that isn't up.

What good decisions has he made this season? Because I'm struggling to think of any.

Responses pretty much prove my point. People just cant accept any kind of criticism of him.

His treatment of Trundle has been disgraceful!

Has anyone enjoyed the way we have played for the majority of the season? We just seem to try an grind out results its an entertainment buisness an I'm just not enjoying watching us this season.

Because we should be firmly in them play off places and not 3 points off of them and slipping away from them. When you can't beat the side that is bottom of the table at home then there is some serious issues somewhere. Not sure if you have noticed but we have only won one in 6 and that was against Southampton and we were lucky to win that. The only downer I'm on is because I know we have a squad capable of challenging them play off places but instead we are struggling because of Johnson only wants to play one striker despite having 6 on the books and doesn't want to play the best players for reasons only known to him. If he carries on having personal issues with players there is only one way we will go and that isn't up.

What good decisions has he made this season? Because I'm struggling to think of any.

One day we will be in a relegation battle no doubt, then you will have some reasons to moan. Till then get behind the team and the manager, you never know it just might help.

Your negativity is impressive.

Responses pretty much prove my point. People just cant accept any kind of criticism of him.

His treatment of Trundle has been disgraceful!

Has anyone enjoyed the way we have played for the majority of the season? We just seem to try an grind out results its an entertainment buisness an I'm just not enjoying watching us this season.

Yes ,a lot of us are enjoying it, for most of the last 30 years we havent.

Think some of the responses have been bit of an overreaction (this is a place to debate yet some people seem to result to childish insults when they don't agree with something) I'm not saying sack GJ an I agree the past two seasons hes been a very good manager my issue is with this season.

My first post was purely to get a reaction and cause debate, obviously some people for what ever reason cant accept other opinions.

My point is this season id say GJ has had a poor season yet if anyone has shown any kind of criticism towards him there seems to be uproar, isnt the saying your only as good as your last game? This season for whatever reason GJ has made some poor decisions an his signings havnt exatly set the world a light.

Players get slated for poor performances no mater what they have done in the past few seasons why is it different with managers?

Think some of the responses have been bit of an overreaction (this is a place to debate yet some people seem to result to childish insults when they don't agree with something) I'm not saying sack GJ an I agree the past two seasons hes been a very good manager my issue is with this season.

My first post was purely to get a reaction and cause debate, obviously some people for what ever reason cant accept other opinions.

My point is this season id say GJ has had a poor season yet if anyone has shown any kind of criticism towards him there seems to be uproar, isnt the saying your only as good as your last game? This season for whatever reason GJ has made some poor decisions an his signings havnt exatly set the world a light.

Players get slated for poor performances no mater what they have done in the past few seasons why is it different with managers?

NO, certain posters slate players, not all of us. You need to start looking at the bigger picture and not just the fact we lost on saturday. Imagine if the manager was as kneejerk as you are.

For you to come out with a comment suggesting that GJ has had a bad season so far is laughable.

Finally, your first post was not to get a reaction, it is what you believe, don't try and squirm away from your opinion just because it was slated by most.

One day we will be in a relegation battle no doubt, then you will have some reasons to moan. Till then get behind the team and the manager, you never know it just might help.

Your negativity is impressive.

Trust me I sing my heart out for 90 mins every game without fail and I'm behind them all the way until the end. Even after that shit on Saturday I still managed to somehow clap the plays off the field.

Yes ,a lot of us are enjoying it, for most of the last 30 years we havent.
That's the thing that is frustrating me, I'm delighted we are a Championship club but we are under performing and we should be doing so much better thus enjoying it so much more. I wont be happy with consolidating because what is the point in that? If you don't strive to be the best we can then what is the point?

For a start, he hasnt had a poor season...it isnt even christmas FFS.

There isnt much critisism because he has pulled this club from oblivion to where we are and we are still doing well. To say that he has had (sic) a poor season is naive at best and suggests you may not have had the benefit of travelling to mansfield, chester etc week in week out.

3 points off the playoffs in the CCC and I'm still pinching myself

Think you need to put things in to some sort of perspective.

Any side in this league is capable of beating anyone else.

We beat Southampton but they have won their last two away games at Burnley and Reading. Prior to playing us Forest drew with Brum. Last Saturday Watford beat QPR.

How many people would have put their mortgages on any of those results?

Trust me I sing my heart out for 90 mins every game without fail and I'm behind them all the way until the end. Even after that shit on Saturday I still managed to somehow clap the plays off the field.

That's the thing that is frustrating me, I'm delighted we are a Championship club but we are under performing and we should be doing so much better thus enjoying it so much more. I wont be happy with consolidating because what is the point in that? If you don't strive to be the best we can then what is the point?

Under performing :noexpression: we are in a league where most of the clubs are far bigger than us, we are 3 points off the play offs. When are you going to understand this?.

You may never have it better, i'm serious.

I'm suprised a minority are whinging about the quality and mentality of our football at the moment.

I thought at Palace on Saturday we were very unlucky to be 2 down and from the 15th minute until the 65th dominated proceedings. Palace were launching it up in the air while we pressed with the ball on the floor most of the time.

Forest we scored twice again and had a penalty to win that game, not really signs of a negative mentality. It's individual errors up top and at the back that seem to be costing us, lapses of concentration.

We're still by far and away one of the most aesthetically pleasing teams in this league in my opinion.

Under performing :noexpression: we are in a league where most of the clubs are far bigger than us, we are 3 points off the play offs. When are you going to understand this?.

You may never have it better, i'm serious.

Burnley, Cardiff, Plymouth, Swansea and Preston all above us yet I don't consider them bigger than us. The only far bigger sides are the likes of Wolves, Reading, Brum and Sheff Utd. I'm happy we still have a chance of the Play Offs but following the last couple of performances I've seen I'm not at all confident.

SL&GJ both said pre season the aim was to go one better than last season and go for automatic promotion, As we are 12 points off of that then considering there expectations we are currently under performing.

Burnley, Cardiff, Plymouth, Swansea and Preston all above us yet I don't consider them bigger than us. The only far bigger sides are the likes of Wolves, Reading, Brum and Sheff Utd. I'm happy we still have a chance of the Play Offs but following the last couple of performances I've seen I'm not at all confident.

SL&GJ both said pre season the aim was to go one better than last season and go for automatic promotion, As we are 12 points off of that then considering there expectations we are currently under performing.

You meniton those teams and other than Swansea they have had several years to build in this league Preston have come close a few times these things take time.

Something some of you are not willing to give Gary for whatever reason.

Yes, and ask your average football fan whose the bigger club out of City or QPR, Derby, Palace, Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, Norwich, Southampton, Charlton and Forest and you can be pretty sure what the answer would be.

GJ is governed to an extent by budget. Within the constraints of that budget he is doing an excellant job.

The other thing to consider is the fact that our squad is in a transitional stage. We have nearly half the squad between 29-34 and some of these players need to be elsewhere very quickly. To counter balance that we have a talented group of younger squad players 19-25. GJ needs a season or two to get the right blend performing together. I know we all have the want and impatience for instant promotion, however imo I would sooner get a squad together that would go up, stay up and be competitive.

As I see it GJ is using a play and grow programme, within a budget constraint. That has to be the way and if promotion comes a little earlier then thats a bonus. We have to be patient.

As for the Wilson period, we twice hit the woodwork costing us wins and auto promotion. Then the decision making in the play offs, Wilson could be considered unlucky and guilty of a bad decision in a bench selection. He did receive a big reception when he came back to the Gate, Tinman mentioned it and was less than impressed.

Supporting BCFC will always be entertaining, oh and for the record I do believe in God. Butterflys, hedgehogs, single malt, there has to be a God and with a sense of humour. In a moment of madness on the 6th day God created Bristol Rovers and smiled in a most mischievious manner.

isnt the saying your only as good as your last game?

I think that this statement is at the root of why some supporters and posters on here immediately look for scapegoats whenever we fail to win these days.

Is GJ - or anyone else in football really only as good as their last game? Of course not. When people are judged too quickly and too harshly then irrational decisions are taken (and irrational posts are made).

We all need to take a step back and judge whether we are heading in the right direction or not. In my view, as a club we most certainly are. We have a Chairman, Directors and Manager with whom I am entirely satisfied (the best since the Dolman/Dicks era around 40 years ago). They all do their jobs well and I want them to remain with our club in the long term.

Last season we punched well above our weight and enjoyed every moment of the ride. This season, it's been tougher and we've not yet achieved the same dizzy heights but we're still there or there abouts and will prove ourselves to be a match for anyone in the division on our day. Will mid-table mediocrity in the Championship really be failure if that's what awaits us this season? Not in my book.

Does GJ make mistakes? Of course he does - we all do. He would, I'm sure, never claim otherwise. The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Is he beyond criticism? Certainly not. This season, he's made selection decisions, formation changes and substitutions with which I don't agree. Oh, and I felt the same last year and the year before. When it comes to running team matters, he's proved himself to be more right than me since he's taken charge.

None of us are only as good as our last game (well except, maybe, a kamikaze pilot). Let's put an end to such kneejerk, irritating nonsense, stop the whinging and get back to supporting our team to help them get back to winning ways. Tonight will do nicely.

Archived